Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2002 3:35:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty soon you will not be able to put the book down.  Work, forget it and keep reading.  Then lend it to another shooter buddy and eventually read it again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And boy am I depressed.  I'm only a couple hundred pages into it (this book could be VERY bad for law school unless I get it over with quickly!),
View Quote

That book was very bad for med school. Of course so was "The FAL Rifle", "Understanding Firearms Ballistics", and "A World at Arms."

I just got "More Guns, Less Crime" today in the mail. :(
tony
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty soon you will not be able to put the book down.  Work, forget it and keep reading.  Then lend it to another shooter buddy and eventually read it again.
View Quote

I can testify that 7 is absolutely correct.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the hard cover version. I'm also in the process of reading it for the first time. It is a very impressive, addictive book. I'm somewhere around page 350. Can't wait to get to the present day events.

Henry Bowman for President!!! [:D]

-- Si vis pacem para bellum! --
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got mine. VERY interesting and a good read. Very well written and structured.

Being unemployed has its advantages. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I've bought three copies that I've given to folks and now the books are 'touring' the US of A. Don't know where they are but I'm sure they're in good hands! I know one got to Idaho. Time to buy another copy...

ATFOTRAF! [bounce]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#9]
All authors take some liberties and do some embellishment, but why would Ross totally misrepresent history that could be easily checked?

I think the Miller case must be pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
You will learn to smile when someone speaks of feeding the hogs. Keep reading. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Who wrote Unintended Consequences?

I looked on chapters.ca but it listed three books.

I'd like to get it, if its not banned in CAN (i.e. turner diaries) as I'm always looking for good books on the topic of civil liberty.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#12]
For those who don't know how or where to get the book, here's the publishers page:

[url]http://www.accuratepress.net/uc.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who wrote Unintended Consequences?

I looked on chapters.ca but it listed three books.

I'd like to get it, if its not banned in CAN (i.e. turner diaries) as I'm always looking for good books on the topic of civil liberty.
View Quote

You mean in addition to saying "aboot" you actually ban books?  Jeez. [rolleyes]

BTW, amazon.com carries it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I really appreciate John Ross' work, I have two copies at home and a 'floater' that, for the life of me, I couldn't tell you where it is at present!

The Gideons have nothing on me! [:D]

Eric The(TrueBeliever)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#15]
If you think you enjoy it now, wait until about 2/3 through! You will forget about eating, sleeping, and working! I snuck the damn thing into work with me just because I couldn't stop reading. Interestingly enough, it was horrible to see what this country has done, REPEATEDLY, to her veterans!

Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Takes awhile to get there but well worth the effort. If you have friends who just dont get the whole gun culture thing make them read this book. The light will come on.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Excellent book! I lent mine out and it was abruptly returned to me by co workers who said, "Your gonna get in trouble for reading that!" I couldnt believe it. I tried to explain the reason they should read it is so they wouldnt be afraid to read whatever they want, in this so called free country. At that point I was labeled the Right Wing Gun Nut! Oh well that me. LOL!
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]
friends didnt get it when i found out one of there instructers was names Bowman. im tempted to ask whats taking henry so damn long.

[:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm at the hog dinners now.

Poor F troop...:-)
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Its the next best thing to Ayn Rand's [i]Atlas Shrugged[/i].  I read it a couple years ago.  Looks like its time to read it again.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered it off of Amazon (along with a The Cult CD).  Hopefully I'll gelt it soon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems that Mr. John Ross lives right here in Saint Looey.  Methinks that we need to invite him to the next MidMO S.C.U.B.A. Shoot!
View Quote

Yes, his bio information says he is an accountant.  Seems like alot of the book's action takes place in St. Louis, Missouri, so that makes sense.  I wonder if we could get his contact information and invite him to a MO-members shoot?
View Quote
He posts on the rec.guns newsgroup occasionally.  Do a Google search in that group or drop into rec.guns with a "HEY JOHN ROSS!" header.

On edit:  

Here's his e-mail.  [email protected]

Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Nooooo! Not more books I should read! I just got finished with The Bear and the Dragon and I finally have time to do my homework. I also have some of Ayoob's books and Dial 911 and Die on order from Amazon. Taking forever, though...
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Henry's adventures with the Solothurn make me want a .50 cal even more than before.  
View Quote

BATMAN,

I'm not sure if you're saying the Solo is a .50 cal or not. It is a 20 mm anti-tank weapon.

And to think how 'reasonable' they were way back when. I remember seeing an old ad for them with the crate, mount and some tools in a catalog my uncle had back in the '50s. Drool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've bought three copies that I've given to folks and now the books are 'touring' the US of A. Don't know where they are but I'm sure they're in good hands! I know one got to Idaho. Time to buy another copy...

ATFOTRAF! [bounce]
View Quote

I've got 6 copies floating around too.  After reading it the 2nd time, I get a chill just reading the intro - the part where the choppers are coming!

Don't you wish you had a Solothurn or a Lahti? Or better yet [b]BOTH[/b]!?
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Funny that you mention the book. It was loaned to me by my Assistant Manager, who I first considered to be a facist, hillbilly, klucker. He was pestering me to read the book, and he's rabidly anti-jew (Displaced Indiana'n) I told him that if it had ONE word about the holocaust being bullshit that I would shove the book up his ass sideways. He swore on his grandmothers grave, so I read it, and would have to agree that it is a DAMN good book, and I learned a hell of a lot of history that I wasn't aware of. A good read!

[x]

PS. Serious question: Since when is the Klan considered a "Domestic Terrorist Organization"? I read this in the news the other day (Fox), and they were described as such. Last time I checked they had won the right through the ACLU to Adopt a Highway?
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Just ordered UC and Mr Lott's book.

Lots of reading to catch up on next week when I return from RI.

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#33]
After reading it I want a BAR.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#34]
One major thing I never knew about were the BONUS marches.  I never learned about that in school.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Just ordered it.. Can't wait to read it!![bounce][bounce]

-T.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone aware if John Ross ever published the sequel or follow-up to Unintended Consequences? He had a plan in the works - I'm curious if his second book ever came out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope, he's still working on his second book. Health problems in 2001 kind of delayed work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One major thing I never knew about were the BONUS marches.  I never learned about that in school.
View Quote

Yeah, funny how history gets "cleaned up" for the schools.  Makes you see that POS MacArthur in a new light, huh?
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#39]
For those who, like me, have already bought the hardcopy version, one can find a .PDF version of UC on Grokster.  I like keeping a copy of it on my laptop so I can read it, again, when I travel.

Buy the book; it's great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Post from marvl -
Makes you see that POS MacArthur in a new light, huh?
View Quote

Oh great! Someone thinks that General MacArthur is a POS!

And you think [u]we[/u] need to read history?

Thanks, but you would do better reading some real history for a change.

One that wasn't colored by anti-MacArthur liberal pieces of shit, themselves.

Haven't you ever wondered why Gen. MacArthur has always been denigrated by the liberal elite, and Gen. Eisenhower has always been celebrated by them?

The 'Bonus Army', notwithstanding John Ross' remarkable book, were, after all, a group of men that were easily influenced by subversive elements within it.

The 'bonus' which they were after, was not due and payable until 1945. Period. End of story.

It is just the beginning of an idea that the government 'owed' you something for doing something that [u]free[/u] men have done since time immemorial for gratis, without any thought of monetary compensation whatsoever!

You certainly need to read up more on the events that John Ross is describing before you say anything against a true American hero such as General MacArthur.

Oh, BTW, did you know that Gen. MacArthur was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1942? I sincerely doubt that 'POS' and 'CMOH' should ever be used in referring to the same person.

Am I right?

Eric The(OfCourseIAm!)Hun[>]:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top