Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2002 5:33:57 PM EDT
Anyone watching this series? I'm taping it but have occasionally watched a few minutes and every time I watch... They say Slavery was the main reason for the war. Grrr.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:46:11 PM EDT
Watching it again for the umptenth time. somebody should have shot Sherman at the beginning of the war. By the way, I grew up across the street from Grant Park in Atlanta. The home of the Cyclorama (sp). (battle of Atlanta in the round). The series has very good music and still photos. Nice look at the arms!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:50:28 PM EDT
Sorry, I didn't realize that it was on before. Yes, the music and photos are excellent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 6:13:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2002 10:36:53 PM EDT by Fearandloathing37]
"Not since The Army of Julius Caesar Has such an army as Sherman's tread the earth." - Confederate General - Joe Johnson Yes boys, the last time the Loathing's were in Georgia, we were burning the place down. My relatives loved Uncle Billy and thought him the finest sort.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 6:59:04 PM EDT
Yep I'm watching. I live on the outskirts of Manassas. I drive thru the Manassas National Battlefield almost every weekend coming and going places. I don't stop there much any more because I have pretty much seen all the spots where the 2 battles took place. Maybe I'll take my digital cam over there, snap some photos, (stone house, bull run creek, fields where the opening shots were fired) and post them for the board sometime.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:05:20 PM EDT
I loved the series when it was first on. The digital improvements do seem to have made the photos more clear (and more disturbing). Or maybe that is because I now have a 27" TV instead of a 13" one... Still good TV. Battle of Antietam was on tonight--2100 dead on the Federal side, less than Sept. 11. Confederate dead 1500. Total dead exceeded Sept. 11 but not by much. Total Federal dead for Gettysburg were 3100. GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:12:53 PM EDT
An ancestor of mine was Sherman's XO on the march to the sea.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:10:03 PM EDT
They say Slavery was the main reason for the war. Grrr.
View Quote
You must've watched a different program than I. The one I saw twelve years ago and now said states' rights and grew to include slavery by later generations.
My relatives loved Uncle Billy and thought him the finest sort.
View Quote
Mine didn't. That's why they moved west. Everything in Tennessee and Mississippi was AFU after the war.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2002 7:10:35 AM EDT by sloth]
ECS...tell me about the Manassas area. The wife and I may try to mave back east and the potential job would be in Manassas. Does it feel as close to DC as it looks on the map? How far outside of Manassas do you have to get before things start to feel really rural? Sloth
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:55:17 AM EDT
Which ever side you are on, one has to admit that the Civil War defined us as a nation. The series on the civil war is probably the best use of TV that has ever been done. I bought the whole series on tape when it came out the first time and will probably buy it on DVD in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:36:46 AM EDT
They should have shot Ambrose Burnside. He's why the Confederacy was not routed at Antietam, why the war went on another 3 years, and why hundreds of thousands of Americans died needlessly. BTW, Jim Lehrer of PBS newsman fame has written an interesting Civil War novel called "No Certain Rest". A pretty fair read with lots of historical details.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:40:47 AM EDT
States rights and slavery are simply the buzz words. If you want the short answer, it's called "economics".
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:38:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2002 12:43:29 PM EDT by ARgon]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD: I loved the series when it was first on. The digital improvements do seem to have made the photos more clear (and more disturbing). Or maybe that is because I now have a 27" TV instead of a 13" one... Still good TV. Battle of Antietam was on tonight--2100 dead on the Federal side, less than Sept. 11. Confederate dead 1500. Total dead exceeded Sept. 11 but not by much. Total Federal dead for Gettysburg were 3100. GunLvr
View Quote
Total dead at the Wilderness was 7000 in 20 min. Edited to add. Sorry, but screw the uncle that was Sherman's XO as well. War be war, but raping and burning a path 200 by 60 miles leaves a deep impression on those left. Not many young lads named Sherman in the South, funny, not many in the north as well.
Top Top