Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2002 10:09:33 AM EDT
Geez, Nasdaq at 6 year lows.   Yields on both five- and 10-year notes have hit levels not seen since the summer of 1958... rates on the two- and 30-year notes were the lowest recorded since they were [b]first introduced in the 1970s.[/b]

Dow @ 7800, Nasdaq flirting with going below 1000...

A second Gulf War looming...

Man, oh man.  

I know there is no pre-ordained right of business that says the US economy is invincible, but for crying out loud, how much more can this economy take before a complete meltdown?

Most techs are down 90%!!! from theer historic highs, and there are no profits to be seen by most former high flyers.  Even Wal-mart is reporting a slowdown and they are the place people go to shop when finances are tight! Yikes!

Nervous.

TheRedGoat

PS.  Enrollment is up at the community college for the moment, but I wonder what a full blown depression will do to enrollment...

Recession proof, does not equal Depression proof.

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You know the old Chinese Curse, "May you live in interesting times". I'd say the world is pretty intersting right now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Distraction with bread and circus made for t.v. "wars" in the middle east.

All troubles will be over though as USNORTHCOM will be activated in 8 days.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Legs,

That New World Worder scenario is really not what I am asking about.  US economy = Cornerstone of World economy...for now.  If we are tumbling, are we being replaced, or is there another conerstone already waiting?

Spain once ruled the world...as did Rome...Venice...the Dutch...each was replaced in due course.

Are we next?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes. Distraction with bread and circus made for t.v. "wars" in the middle east.

All troubles will be over though as USNORTHCOM will be activated in 8 days.
View Quote

You made me crawl under my desk and curl into a fetal position.  You make me cry.  stop it.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#6]
[url=http://educate-yourself.org/cn/USNORTHCOMmildictatorship19may02.shtml]mildictatorship[/url]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Geez, Nasdaq at 6 year lows.   Yields on both five- and 10-year notes have hit levels not seen since the summer of 1958... rates on the two- and 30-year notes were the lowest recorded since they were [b]first introduced in the 1970s.[/b]

Dow @ 7800, Nasdaq flirting with going below 1000...

A second Gulf War looming...

Man, oh man.  

I know there is no pre-ordained right of business that says the US economy is invincible, but for crying out loud, how much more can this economy take before a complete meltdown?

Most techs are down 90%!!! from theer historic highs, and there are no profits to be seen by most former high flyers.  Even Wal-mart is reporting a slowdown and they are the place people go to shop when finances are tight! Yikes!

Nervous.

TheRedGoat

PS.  Enrollment is up at the community college for the moment, but I wonder what a full blown depression will do to enrollment...

Recession proof, does not equal Depression proof.

View Quote

YEP !! Most everything you say is true. And that's why I'm thinking the time to buy is getting near.  I've already picked my favorite telecom stock to purchase.  This particular puppy is selling at less than 1% of the 12 months high.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm with you, TRG.  

And unfortunately, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Just have to hope that it [i]does  [/i] get better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I just refinanced at 6.25% and bought a car with a 5.9% loan.  Let Rome burn a little more, please.  [beer]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, let me clear this up from my perspective, the Bible is not what I am asking about.  I do not believe we are in the 'End days.'  I am however curious about what is next for the world/US economy.  

The last time the Market melted like this, we saw the GReat Depression.  There have been otehr worldwide depression throughout history, are we on the verge of the next?

Can/will it be avoided?  Or will there be a new economic center in the world?

China?  Give me a break, if the US quits buying their consumer goods (seen Wal-Mart's latest numbers/projections?) then China's economy tanks.

Japan?  no.

India?  not hardly?

EU?  maybe, but where are they going to peddle their wares if the US is not buying?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legs,

That New World Worder scenario is really not what I am asking about.  US economy = Cornerstone of World economy...for now.  If we are tumbling, are we being replaced, or is there another conerstone already waiting?

Spain once ruled the world...as did Rome...Venice...the Dutch...each was replaced in due course.

Are we next?
View Quote

The E.U. will replace the US.
The Revived Roman Empire.
They will head they World Order and the World economy.
My opinion is from what I know about
Bible prophesy during the last days.
We are in the last days.
China will be the next military super power,
but Europe will drive the worlds economy.
View Quote

legs, legs, you gotta find some new passages to read !!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just refinanced at 6.25% and bought a car with a 5.9% loan.  Let Rome burn a little more, please.  [beer]
View Quote

I'll go get the gas can and see what I can do... LOL
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#14]
expect a Road Warrior type world in 60 to 90 days.

Invest in dog food,biker clothes and FRESH shotgun shells.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, man, there are some really nice passages in there that are not as bleak and dismal.  Psalms, maybe?  Of course, I heard the rumor once that you can take the Psalms and use them as a road map to predict the end time, years by year, each verse is a year at a glance...
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, man, there are some really nice passages in there that are not as bleak and dismal.  Psalms, maybe?  Of course, I heard the rumor once that you can take the Psalms and use them as a road map to predict the end time, years by year, each verse is a year at a glance...
View Quote

I'm not into fuzzy warm things to make me feel good.
Otherwise I'd just smoke pot all day!
I read it all, Good and bad!
View Quote

Hey, did you get my phone call?  That sweet green AK of yours got scratched at the last shoot at my house, if those scratches did not come out, let me know, I will buy your AK.

TRG

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is contradictory info about the EU economy, looks like they are feeling the blues as well...
[url]http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020923/markets_europe_stocks_11.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Didn't get a phone call, when did you call ?
I wouldn't dream of making you buy a gun just for
scratches, especially after such great hospitality.
Besides, its an AK, I can just paint it again
with black spray paint. But I'll do it in a
closed room so I can smell the fumes.[BD]
View Quote

I called you this morning, probably around 9?  Left a message.

First, I have always thought that particular AK is one of the nicest I have seen.  I have a crush on it.

Second, I felt terrible when I realized that my clip knife scratched it, I had hoped is was just metal transferred from the chrome handle to your metal surface, but I worried that it was a true scratch through the surface material.

Third, sell me the AK, then go buy a new one that looks just like it.  I have been planning to buy an AK for over a year, but I have no idea what to look for, especially when the AK that I want is owned by a friend.  I have AK envy.

Fourth, sell me the AK because I TOLD YOU TO!  Guilt is a terrible thing to waste.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
My IRA took a jumbo crap, but I had a banner year at the office. It's like I'm cooking filet mignon and lobster with mutual fund receipts[>:/]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Uh guys, dont buy telecom stocks. They're all swimming in debt from the huge capital investment boom, but the revenues just aren't there to have made those investments worthwhile.

The stocks are at 52 week lows for a reason!

Yeah, the siutation is pretty damn grim. Just 2 or 3 years ago the economy was fantastic, and now it's in the shitter for god knows how long.  But looking at Japan, you begin to get an idea.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Come to the gun show with us and I will
help you pick out a good one.[8D]

I used the touch up pen on it.
It looks just fine now. Don't worry![:D]

I bet if I put a sexy bra on the AK you'd get a woody![:P]

And my wife found out the hard way that I NEVER
do what I am told.[}:D]
View Quote

Ok, pencil me in for a trip to the Ol' Mesquite gunshow one day to pick out an AK, but I would still prefer to replace yours.  I do not like knowing that I scratched someone's gun.  I looked around for someone else to blame it on, but they all had solid alibis!  Darn!

You finally got that 9mm ?  KEWL!  Now I am seriously jealous!  Will it bump...?  ROFL

TRG
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Uh guys, dont buy telecom stocks. They're all swimming in debt from the huge capital investment boom, but the revenues just aren't there to have made those investments worthwhile.

The stocks are at 52 week lows for a reason!

Yeah, the siutation is pretty damn grim. Just 2 or 3 years ago the economy was fantastic, and now it's in the shitter for god knows how long.  But looking at Japan, you begin to get an idea.
View Quote

Yeah I look at debt.  But I look a available cash flow to service that debt mostly.

You simply cannot say don't buy X market sector.  Most always there are good companies within sectors that did just fine and will again.  Sectors are good if you're trying to time the market - something I'm not nearly smart enough to do !!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You simply cannot say don't buy X market sector.  Most always there are good companies within sectors that did just fine and will again.  Sectors are good if you're trying to time the market - something I'm not nearly smart enough to do !!
View Quote

The telecom sector is profoundly troubled, if you can find a promising company there, then you're way smarter than me! Best of luck!

I'll make a few blanket statements about sectors to avoid at all costs:

Airlines
telecoms
utilities/energy
banking, consumer finance
homebuilders
PC/semis
telecom equipment
software

I mean, I wouldn't be buying ANYTHING in this market except perhaps gold mining stocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top