Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2002 9:23:05 PM EDT
A friend of mine was told that the Jeep Cherokee (sp?) is going to make a comeback in the next year of two. The Liberty isn't doing that well I guess. Anyone hear anything about this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If so it had better be built a lot better. The current Cherokee (NOT the Grand Cherokee) is a POS. The simply sit in the drive & break & fall apart.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to see that happen, but it may be a bit iffy...

The "Liberty" is being marketed in Europe as the "Cherokee" now, and the "Cherokee" is still being produced in Beijing as the "Super Cherokee" - even tho it is slightly different.

I doubt DC would be willing to change direction and resurrect the XJ as the Cherokee when it has already been replaced by the abomination known as the KJ/Liberty(US)/Cherokee(Eur) - it would not be really in keeping with the past of DaimlerBenz.  

Bear in mind that these are the same people that have emasculated the Mercedes GWagen and the Unimog - what used to be the two MOST capable off-road platforms right off the showroom floor...

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I am going to stick with Wranglers, I hate the way those Libertys look.  [puke]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:07:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The only thing I've heard bad about Liberties is that people are tipping them over.  From everything I've read of the Liberty, it's a capable trail rig.  Too many people try to drive them as if they were a car.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If so it had better be built a lot better. The current Cherokee (NOT the Grand Cherokee) is a POS. The simply sit in the drive & break & fall apart.
View Quote

1)There IS no "current Cherokee" since they haven't made them for two years now.
2)The Cherokees they made just before ceasing production are excellent vehicles, especially for the money.  We had one we traded after nearly 100,000 miles with no major problems whatsoever and still have another with 40,000 miles with no problems either.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#6]
the old cherokee plant is now gone.  torn down and carted away.  not even a big hole in the ground for most of it.  i drive past that site about 4 times a week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:23:06 AM EDT
[#7]
My Cherokee is a 99. It has had the following replaced or repaired.

Front differential just ate itself. Started grinding and then was gone internally.

Defrost flap inside the dash(3 times)once at my own expense because it was out of warranty even though the problem was known.

Driver front window crashed down into the door, it just fell.

Right front speaker didn't work from the factory.

Airbag computer recall.

Leaked from day 1 and had to go back 2 times after that for them to get it right.

Wind noise around the driver door. Never completely fixed.

I will give it this: It is a billygoat off road. The narrow footprint is excellent for getting back into the woods. It is a POS but I like it because there is currently nothing else in it's price and size that can replace it. The liberty appears to have less rear area storage and the Escape is smaller in the back as well.

Bob

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top