Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yet another IBTL for me, atleast I didn't start THIS ONE though!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Affirmative Action has become so blatant at these pageants that I refuse to watch.  Is anyone else as disgusted as I am?  Reminds me of this years grammys!
View Quote

Are you truly as dumb as you are trying to sound?

Who gives a damn what her skin color is as long as she is hot and talented.

Oh...and for the record...I am very much AGAINST affirmative action.  I am a strong believer in the merit system of awards and rewards.  I also don't watch those silly pageant shows...but I loathe racists morons, and you sound like one.  [stick]

If you are NOT one of those people who is so insecure and uncomfortable with himself that he has to find fault in others simply because of their skin color, then you've got some SERIOUS explaining to do before this thread gets locked...which just might be quickly!  [grenade]

Finally...if you don't like the show...change the channel!  PBS had The Civil War on and HBO was running The Sopranos...a little bit of everything for the discriminating viewer.  [;D]

Oh...and [b]I - B - T - L[/B]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Miss Illinois Crowned Miss America

Newsmax Wires
                                     Monday, Sept. 2, 2002

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Billed as the largest competitive scholarship
                             program for young women in the world, Saturday's Miss America
                             pageant in Atlantic City crowned Miss Illinois, but everyone was a winner
                             taking home at least $5,000 in scholarship money.

The crown, the job and at least $50,000 in scholarships went to Miss
                             Illinois Erika Harold, 22, of Urbana, Ill., who graduated from the
                             University of Illinois, Phi Beta Kappa. She was a University of Illinois
                             Chancellor Scholar, a Truman Scholarship finalist and USA Today's
                             All-USA College Academic Second Team.

Harold had been accepted this fall to Harvard University's Law School to
                             pursue a career in the fields of Public Interest Law and Public Policy but
                             she put law school on hold to compete in the pageant. Her platform
                             issue was Empowering Youth Against Violence.

While in college Harold submitted written testimony to the U.S. House of
                             Representatives' Energy & Commerce Committee on Welfare Reform
                             Reauthorization Proposals. She was also the recipient of first prize in an
                             Afro-American Studies research paper competition and represented high
                             school in Japan as part of the JALEX Study Program.

While at the University of Illinois, Harold worked as a teaching assistant;
                             motivational speaker and public relations coordinator; as well as
                             television intern.

She sang an aria from Bizet's "Carmen," and was a favorite among the
                             other contestants who were able to vote in the official competition voting.

Several contestants told co-host Julie Moran of "Entertainment Tonight,"
                             who served as backstage host and questioned the contestants about
                             their thoughts on the five finalists' chances, that they were planning to
                             vote for Harold.

The voting of the 46 contestants who did not make the finals counted as
                             10 percent of the official judging.

Her father, Robert Harold, is of Greek, German and Russian descent
                             and is owner of a satellite installation company. Her mother, Donna
                             Tanner-Harold, of Native American and African-American descent, is a
                             college counselor and foster parent trainer.

She has three siblings: Alexandra, 20, Anastasia, 17, and Nichola
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CONDUCT GUIDELINES

1) No [b]racial[/b] slurs or [b]comments[/b]. This isn't about being "PC" it's about respecting each other.

2) No [b]inappropriate[/b] usernames, [/b].

2d) [b]No inappropriate topics[/b]. This includes all of the above and further covers  titles of a [b]racial[/b], sexual, or violent nature topic. (This applies to animal cruelty as well.)
View Quote

Sir;

Please point out what you found to be racial slur or comment. Nothing i see is a slur, just his opinion.

Please point out an inappropriate signature, picture, link, or topic. I see nothing inappropriate...just a man expressing his opinion.

Please point out what in the topic you find "  of a racial, sexual, or violent nature".

No where does he make any statements saying she won cause she is black. He simply expressed his opinion that affirmative action played a roll in the choice. Has the first amendment been suspended? If you don't like his opinion, don't read it. You are more than welcome to give your opinion, but don't look down on others cause you disagree.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you NAM, I was momentarily unable to reply....read that as "best cool off first"....
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
NAM - never said I disagreed with his opinion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
IBTL!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What's offensive?

Well the Title was disgusting enoguh.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top