Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2002 8:32:33 AM EDT
This morning I shot at a coyote from about 25 yards with my bow. It wasn't a good shot because I had to shoot through a small bush that he was behind. I didn't hear that rib smashing crack that you hear when you shoot a deer. So, I figured that I missed him. I actually missed one in the same place last weekend only that one was running and this one was standing still.
Anyway, after seeing 8 deer in two hours I figured that I would get down and pick up the arrow and go home. When I got to the arrow, I found a big pile of hair and a clean arrow. But there was a little blood on the ground!
My brother and I tracked drops of blood for about a mile and found one last small puddle of blood.
That was the last of it! We gave up after searching for about an hour for more blood.
I have seen small deer die from that much blood loss before and they are three times the size!
My brother said it would be a waste of time, but I can't help but think that I should go back with my German Shepard (he has found deer for us before).
What would you do? I think a coyote kill with a bow would make for some pretty good braggin'!
GODDAMNIT!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Wonderful!

A mamed animal suffering for your cheap thrill!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Irresponsible a$$hole.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Irresponsible a$$hole.
View Quote

In most cases I would agree with you, but coyotes are quickly becoming a serious problem.  They are playing hell with pets and livestock, so any brought down fast or slow is a good thing indeed.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
brought down fast, if necessary, is one thing.

maming sucks!  even if you feel that species is a menace.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
What would I do??

I would NOT have taken the shot until I was absolutey certain it would  result in a clean and humane kill.

Shame on you.

-T.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
1. I wasn't proud that I took a risky shot at the coyote.

2. I don't know too many people that bow hunt that wouldn't have taken the very same shot!

3. I was asking if anyone thought that I may be able to still find the animal and put it down.
I didn't ask for a couple of guys to be pr1cks about it!
Oh yeah, have you guys ever seen the way coyotes spook deer out of an area and kill young fawns?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It wasn't a good shot because I had to shoot through a small bush that he was behind.
View Quote

What the hell is WRONG with you?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys watch to many damn hunting shows were it's one shot one kill.

Good shot taking a Coyote with a bow.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irresponsible a$$hole.
View Quote

In most cases I would agree with you, but coyotes are quickly becoming a serious problem.  They are playing hell with pets and livestock, so any brought down fast or slow is a good thing indeed.

[url]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif[/url]
View Quote

No problem with population control (it's deer in the south that are a problem), just people that are incompetent enough to mame an animal for their own enjoyment.  I'm not a hunter but understand the need to control the population of various animals.  We could always ship some of those coyotes down here to enjoy the deer.  This would solve the problem of people like newblkrifle sport maming animals.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Why didn't you wait for a clean shot? I have to disagree, most bowhunters would not have attempted the shot. Poor judgement on your part.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#13]
It would be best if you took your shepherd and tried to insure he died. Although he probably did, it would be nice if you could say that he has. And come post the results.
I dislike seeing varminters who wound coyotes to watch them spin around in agony because they can't use their back legs anymore ("spinners" is the term they use). That is needless suffering.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why didn't you wait for a clean shot? I have to disagree, most bowhunters would not have attempted the shot. Poor judgement on your part.
View Quote

I totally agree!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#15]
The people that own the land that I hunt on beg
us to kill them.
I agree that it was wrong of me to take that shot. I probably was way too excited(as anyone who bow hunts has felt before) and in the back of my mind I knew that a coyote doesn't just stand near a human and give broadside shots for five minutes at a time like those extremely crafty prairie dogs that only the best hunters can shoot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#16]
If you brag about this, make sure and include all the details, so your buddies can give an appropriate response.

Would you take the same shot again?

Anyway, to answer your question, yes you should go back and try to find the coyote, starting with the last place you saw blood.

If legal at this time, a firearm would make sense.  Check with your wildlife agency and be prepared to make the humane dispatch & recovery of this animal your sole goal.

Chances are it's laying within a couple hundred yards of there.  Could be still alive and suffering.

If it's on a slope, I would start looking downhill.

A coyote is a pretty small target at 75 feet.
Taking a shot at a moving one (what was the range on that one?) doesn't make much sense unless you are an expert shot, not only in a technical sense, but also in the kind of 'shoot/don't shoot' judgement.

Are you there yet?

Maybe you need to sharpen your shooting skills to the "can't miss" point on paper targets at varying and unknown ranges before you go out and take any more shots at [b]standing[/b] coyotes.  Forget the moving ones until you can get stationary ones from any position.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dislike seeing varminters who wound coyotes to watch them spin around in agony because they can't use their back legs anymore ("spinners" is the term they use). That is needless suffering.
View Quote

Perhaps.  But try to deal with a preschooler that has found their half eaten pet in the backyard one morning, then come talk to me about needless suffering.  My neighbor had that recent experience.  Not something you want to see, believe me.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I have no simpathy for people who leave "fluffy" out all night, then cry when the pet is ran over, shot, or eaten.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah, have you guys ever seen the way coyotes spook deer out of an area and kill young fawns?
View Quote

It's part of the natural selection process.  Coyotes are carnivorous.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Good job.

Don't let all the whiners get to you, it's a freakin coyote fer crissakes.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#21]
newblkrifle,
     Good for you.  Coyotes are a pest.  I killed one a couple years ago as we have packs of them on our land.  Our quail and deer population have suffered as a result of them.  For those of you criticizing this man over an animal dying inhumanly, many of you must not hunt with a bow because their are very few humane(quick) kills.  I could make the perfect shot on an animal and it could take 30 minutes or an hour to die.  Its not quick like a bullet so don't bitch over things some of you don't understand.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#22]
DAMN.........!!!!!!!!

that must have been difficult hitting a coyote with a bow at 25 yds !!

when i was into archery i hit & killed a few coyotes with arrows, but i never threw my bow at one !!!!!!!!

what a smart ass !!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I put a bow on my GF's kitty once. Didn't wound it though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I think some of you must think of coyotes as some kind of majestic wolf or something, a beautiful animal howling at the moon on top of a hill at night.

They are not.  They're a fucking pest that does nothing but tear shit up, eat your garden, eat your livestock, kill your domestic animals and spill garbadge.

There is no closed season on them here.  Shoot them all year long if you like.  As bad as fucking rats!

Jesus Christ.

Balming
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck it Dude a coyote is a pest anyway and here in AZ they are fair came to kill for fun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You guys watch to many damn hunting shows were it's one shot one kill.

Good shot taking a Coyote with a bow.

Mike
View Quote

Stick and release hunting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn coyotes, eating deer or garbage or what ever they have to to stay alive. And eating OUR deer. Forget that they live in the woods. Those are their deer. We think because we are humans we own the fucking planet and everything that inhabits it. A shot thru a bush should never be taken with a bow. Just wondering,how old are you? Oh yeah, the animals think we are "pests" too and they would like to see us go away.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#28]
 A real pest is a deer. At least in the North-Eastern states. A coyote eats your cats and tears up trash. A deer eats your crops and _ucks up your car. Deer were not here naturally in the numbers they are today.

-DEERSNIPER
[sniper]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Stick and release hunting. WTF?

The guy tracked the Coyote for a mile and lost the blood trail...It's happened to me before and I am sure it happen to others. Rest assured nature will take it's course and it will become a member of the great circle of life.(Lion King Theme Music On)

Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Stick and release hunting. WTF?
View Quote

Another name for bow and arrow hunting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Coyote can be a real problem.However get your dog, rifle and ass back out there and finnish it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#32]
LOL....those who are replying with negative bullshit have no experience with coyote control...LMFAO. FUCK COYOTES. When you get some experience....come back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I was the first to post a reply to this topic. However, it seems that my post has been deleted or moved by someone. Any mods care to take credit? [b]My post was MILD compared to what has since been posted.[/b] I'm more than a little irritated that this discusssion group is so "selectivly" moderated. Or at least thats how it seems. Please tell me that it was a board glitch that removed my post....
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, coyotes are vermin, and it is good to kill them. You should still respect your quarry and try to make a clean kill. That's what hunting is all about. Anyone who disagrees is obviously not a hunter, and knows nothing of sportsmanship and the concept of fair chase.

At least you made an effort to recover the animal. Kudos for that. Next time, drill the fucker. Good hunting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't sweat it shit happens when hunting. Live animals are totally different than targets. Every hunter mames something every once in a while. Now the posts about how so and so never mamed anything in 60 years of hunting should roll in. A clean miss is just luck by way.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#36]
as a bowhunter myself,  I would have NEVER, EVER, EVER taken that shot.......at a DEER!

But a coyote? Screw 'em.  I've dispatched too many lambs with half their ass eaten out of them or seen too many fawn kills while out hunting to give much of a crap about coyotes.

I don't like anything suffering unduly, actually I hate it,  but if I have the choice between one suffering coyote or dozens of dead deer, that coyote'll be suffering every time.

Everyone on this board could kill every coyote they'd see and we'd never make a dent. All we'd do is drive up the price of Wolf Ammo.

For the animal lovers amongst us, just think of the warm fuzzy feeling the OTHER coyotes will get having a nice meal tonight on that ol boy. - and all the eagles, magpies, crows and whatnot it'll feed.

[breaks out in song]
It's the circle of life.....

CrashBurnRepeat
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have no simpathy for people who leave "fluffy" out all night, then cry when the pet is ran over, shot, or eaten.

View Quote

Markm,

I have had customers here tell me while they were in their fenced in back yard, a coyote jumped the fence and actually tried to snatch the dog in front of HUMANS !!

Now here in CA, YES we are moving into their territory and so they are on the hunt for food. PLUS they are getting used to us which is not good. I had one (posted a thread about it months ago) just looking at me and didnt give a damn. Also like the topic here stood only 20-25 yards away!!

[b]AND AS FOR YOU MR NEWBLKRIFLE!!![/b]

I would go and look for it. Friend of mine did the SAME EXACT thing and he found it... 4 in the morning but he found it. Hey not everyone can get lucky and make the kill with the first shot.

I think he got the point (no pun intended) so what do ya say guys, stop flaming NewBlkRifle. Im sure he feels bad enough now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Coyotes suck.  For deer, squirrel, rabbits, or anything else, 1 shot kills are the rule.  For coyotes, who cares?  Just as long as they die.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I would wager, as others have, that those who have criticized the "maiming" of a coyote, are either A.) Not bowhunters, B.) Not predator/varmint hunters, C.) Don't live in an area where there is a large predator/varmint population, or D.) All of the above.  Where I live the coyote is an unprotected species, sharing that status with the likes of the skunk, the raccoon, and the red fox.  These "noble, wild, and free" critters exist in sufficient quantities to wreak havoc upon the local farmers' and ranchers' livlihoods, as well as other "noble, wild, and free" animal populations.  Their unprotected status means that you don't have to have a license, tag, or any other type of governmental permission to hunt them.  There is no season, and no regulations on weapons - trap 'em, shoot 'em, stick 'em, club 'em - there will still be more left.  I know, all you PETA apologists want to hug trees and blame the whole mess on human intervention - so do the "earth goddess" a favor and eliminate your polluting, interfering, human selves from the planet!  While coyotes [b]are[/b] filthy, predatory, thieving little bastards, they are also cunning as hell - good job calling one in that close, and managing to get an arrow in him before he took off!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#41]
When living in Nevada coyotes were open all year. That means kill them every chance you get. Ofcourse, winter is always better.[thicker pelt]
Anyway, while out quail hunting had a dog run in front of me, so I nailed him pretty well with my twenty guage Ithica. It ran into an irrigation ditch that was not too far away. Not seeing it run out, which we would have seen, we crept up on the ditch expecting to find it DOA. Much to my surprise it wasn't there. This little bastard found a pipe about twenty inches in diameter and went inside about 15 feet. We tried smoking it out, throwing stones, yelling at it. All to no avail. The solution was to insert my friends 12 guage into the pipe and give him the "big surprise". I went to the junk pile near the edge of the field and got a piece of conduit, hooked the dog and pulled him out. Hes now hanging on my wall behind me as I type this. We back tracked in the snow and noticed that this particular yote had a bum leg, you could tell by the dragging marks of its hind leg. The oncoming winter may have clamed this dog anyway.
Needless to say, shoot them, make the effort to find them, relieve them of their fur. They are pests.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Good shot on the coyote. Anyone who hunts these little bastards knows it is not allways easy to even get within rifle range with a call, much less take one with a bow ( Although a quick kill would be desired ) I would be out there right now with a rifle and my dog if it was me, hell you might even run across more on the way. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I have taken the same kind of shot at Coyotes with both rifle and My Long Bow, soem tiems I miss the Coyote, more often I kill them, on the rare occasion I woudn one, oh well, they are FUCKING COYOTES for Christ's sake!!!!!!!!

Kill them all, hell, I am hoping to bait them in now, using a bit of meat attached to a Tannerite bottle, that should be fun too.

They are pests, like rats, adn I will kill as many as I can legally.

If I killed ten a day for the rest of my life I woudl not dent th eCoyote population, never mind feral cats and dogs....
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good job.

Don't let all the whiners get to you, it's a freakin coyote fer crissakes.

View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
25 yds is pretty far to hit something with an arrow, thats pretty good.
next time use the exploding tips on your arrow.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Funny how an animal can be a pest to some and not to others. Most posts in this thread state how much coyotes are a pest where I guess in some regions they are and I can understand hunting them for population control would be necessary. But in the suburban area where I live, I may see a coyote or two maybe once a year and find them a rare, beautiful sight rather than a pest.

Now if there was hunting season on gang-banger wanna-bes hiding behind a bush, I'd take a 25 yard shot with a bow too.[:D]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
brought down fast, if necessary, is one thing.

maming sucks!  even if you feel that species is a menace.
View Quote

Quoted:
Fucking idiot.

Now you have an animal suffering because you were
too incompetent to kill it with one shot.

Way to go
View Quote

I agree 100%
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Some of you guys obviously have never had to deal with coyotes. They are not your pet dog. Their feeding and reproduction habits make them more like cockroaches. They feed an reproduce until the food supply is exhausted. Livestock, wildlife, trash, pets and little kids - all are food to the coyote. Do you guys feel bad when you smash a cockroach too?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#49]
"We think because we are humans we own the fucking planet and everything that inhabits it."

We sure do. 100%. (Liberals not included)

C'mon guys, don't get your panties in a twist we are all on the same side here. Everyone would love to make a 1 shot kill, but the truth of the matter is... shit happens. Get a life and get over it. last year my dad took the most amazing shot 300 yards down hill, blew the heart right out of a spike. pensil shaped entry wound fist sized exit. I would love to be able to make that kind of a shot every time but it doesn't happen. I'm sure the guy in question didn't intend to wound the coyote. but big deal.
Around here there is a bounty on coyotes. $10 bucks a head.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#50]
$2,175.30. I just dug up my total (after expenses) from what I made as a free range coyote hunter during my eight years as an on and off again undergrad. Tails (or was it ears?) went to local fish and game and the rest of the pelt were scraped, tanned and sent to a company in Louisana who were paying close to $65 a pelt for a good one. Most of the time we got $15 from the fish and game folks on top of that. We sold the carcases to a meat processing shop who made cat-food and fertalizer out of the remains. Not a bit was wasted.

I love Coyotes, when they're healthy and well fed they're magnificant animals, but when their population is diseased and starving due to the end result of a boom in the rodent population  in the early to mid 90s, culling their packs is the only noble thing to do. That said I dont think I'll ever understand bow hunters. I wouldnt dispatch an animal any way I myself would choose for my own demise had I the chance. Man has developed more efficient and accurate ways of culling than a bow, and a .223 or properly balanced .30cal round is it currently. In one state we hunted them with Enfield No5 Jungle Carbines using special reduced loads and 120gr flesh-heads. In places with looser varmint hunting restrictions we used a mix between ARs, AKs, and SKSs, although one of my friends enjoyed using a .30-30 Marlin with a (bloody expensive) starlite scope.

Did we ever wound them instead of dropping them right out? Yeah, unfortunatly, but thats why we all had fast handeling repeaters of one sort or another, none of them lived more than 30 seconds from the first hit. Its also why we carried pistols. More than once I've had a 'dead' animal come back to a wounded, growling, wimpering life on me. If one ever had lived more than 30 seconds, you're damned right we'd have used every means at our disposal to find it and finish it off humainly.

I dont agree with a lot of these guys acting like hostile pricks to you. I'd love to catch one of them doing something stupid some day and rub it in their face too, but then again what would that make me? Still though, they are ultimatly right, you aught to have not taken the shot, and after that you aught to have stayed there until you found the thing and could put it out of its suffering.

Ryan
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top