Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks to all of you who understand what happened and didn't crawl up my ass!
I did go back and look for the coyote about 3 hours later. My dog took me right to the spot that I lost blood and seem to get confused. I think that it must have stopped there to lick it's wounds and stopped bleeding. I made a bunch of sweeps around that area with my dog and he never showed interest in anything except the original trail.
What happened is bullshit. But, I know that I'm an excellent shot with a bow(and arrow) and I can only imagine that he may have ducked it or maybe I jerked the shot a bit. Even though my shot was partially blocked, I saw the important part of his body.
I don't know if the guys that are bitching at me are bow hunters but, I imagine that they aren't. Try it sometime!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fucking idiot.

Now you have an animal suffering because you were
too incompetent to kill it with one shot.

Way to go![url]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/MiscBird.gif[/url]
View Quote

I'm thinking that a lot of you here are fucking idiots. THE most self centered,egotistical,holier than thou bunch I've seen anywhere. Fuck the ones this applies to! You others,[:D]
AB

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello,
By reading some of the replies you can tell who lives in a city and who is a  country boy , who is a hunter and who is not , it's like those who own a AR15 that wants to keep them and those who dont who says you shouldnt have them .

iam a Archer / iam a country Boy /i own AR15s
and i would of tooken the shot too !!

TS2
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, we agree cockroaches are definately worth somping on, and if one is wounded big deal.

Rats are vermin, yet are warm blooded little bastards, and if you don't get a clean kill, big deal.

At what point do we consider an animal a pretty, lovable ,noble beast?  Around the size of a cat maybe?  The coyotes are as bad as fucking rats, they are just bigger.

I agree with whoever posted about being able to tell the city folks from the country folks, hunters vs. non hunters.

Some of you might as well sell all your guns and start voting for the green party.  Bunch of sissies!

Balming
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree with whoever posted about being able to tell the city folks from the country folks, hunters vs. non hunters.

Balming
View Quote

There is big a difference between a hunter and a "slob" hunter. I put the latter in the same category as poachers. An individual who deliberately and repeatedly takes low percentage shots or intentionally wounds animals, is somehow morally bankrupted in my book. Now, I not saying that the original poster is that type of person, and hopefully he will chalk this up as a learning experience. (BTW, I do bowhunt, and have learned from my own mistakes as well.) That is the true test.

"I don't hunt to kill, but kill in order to have hunted."
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
WHAT A SUPRISE!
As soon as I logged on to to active topics and seen the thread of someone shooting a coyote with a bow, and 3 pages of responses, I knew that: (BLOOD PRESSURE RISE)
1: Many were flaming him for being an unethical type hunter.
2: Many who were flaming him were not hunters, and watch too many TV hunting shows.
3: Many have never hunted coyotes, and are unaware of their toughness/craftiness(understated)
4. Many were defending the ruthless person who would have thought to attempt such a unethical shot.
5: Many just wished they could have had a chance to have taken the shot themselves. (ME)
6: Only one person was there and knows the exact circumstances of the event.

I've hunted coyotes since I could shoulder a gun. Many have died with one shot from a centerfire rifle and bow (heart shot), many more have not, guess I must be unethical. To those who think the person in question is an idiot, keep shooting your paper and steel targets, they have less tendency to carry one off.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
To start this off I am born and raised in the country on a 120 year old family farm and cattle ranch and have hunted and trapped foxes and coyotes for 25 years. but I can not understand the hate and animosity over a wild animal that some of you tough guy great white hunters have. Yes I have seen what coyotes or dogs can do to livestock and such, but I never had hate and disregard for them. I guess some of you other hunters think it cool to sound tuff and heartless and that must make you good ole boys and country folk. I still hunt coyotes and foxes alot and I have killed and skinned and sold more hides than most but I try to make the most humane shot I can.
Newblkrfle I think you did okay for a bow shot just a better shot selection next time. Ive taken a few risky shots myself. It sounds like you made a good effort to make a recovery. Im sure you will do better next time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I suppose that some of you guys think that the stick-em type of mouse traps should be banned, so those cute little squeekers won't starve to death. [xx(][xx(]

ColtShorty

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#9]
"A DINGO HAS STOLEN MY BABY!!!"

Sorry. I dont know what prompted me to say that. Carry on.

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
A pile of fur and a clean arrow and a trail made up of drops of blood. It is most likely you cut him with one blade and never put the arrow through any part of him. I have seen this before with deer hit across the bottom of the brisket.The chances of your coyote being dead from this encounter are 2, slim & none! I commend you on your effort to try and find him and finish it if necessary. That is what seperates us from the animal kingdom, we care! They do not even know that the animal that they are eating alive is dying a horrible death. As far as you taking the shot you were there we were not. It does happen, yes even with a high power rifle, probably more than most rifle shooters want to believe. Sometimes from just a badly executed shot, sometimes from some moron who thinks if they can see it they can shoot at it. By the way, it is the moron who would not care if he wounded an animal and would not put forth the effort of finding it, I think your effort puts you above the slob hunter/poacher title that some have tried to pin on you.
Enjoy the rest of your bow season and good luck to you.
Tuco
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Mach1 posted:

"An individual who deliberately and repeatedly takes low percentage shots or intentionally wounds animals, is somehow morally bankrupted in my book."

What if you are shooting at rats on a garbadge pile?  

That is what I was getting at in my most recnt post on this subject.

Coyotes=rats, only bigger!

Balming
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WHAT A SUPRISE!
As soon as I logged on to to active topics and seen the thread of someone shooting a coyote with a bow, and 3 pages of responses, I knew that: (BLOOD PRESSURE RISE)
1: Many were flaming him for being an unethical type hunter.
2: Many who were flaming him were not hunters, and watch too many TV hunting shows.
3: Many have never hunted coyotes, and are unaware of their toughness/craftiness(understated)
4. Many were defending the ruthless person who would have thought to attempt such a unethical shot.
5: Many just wished they could have had a chance to have taken the shot themselves. (ME)
6: Only one person was there and knows the exact circumstances of the event.

I've hunted coyotes since I could shoulder a gun. Many have died with one shot from a centerfire rifle and bow (heart shot), many more have not, guess I must be unethical. To those who think the person in question is an idiot, keep shooting your paper and steel targets, they have less tendency to carry one off.

View Quote

Well said!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
newblkrifle,

Kudos to you for trying (twice) to find the animal.

One group of people has been busting on you for taking the shot.  Maybe some of these people have never taken a shot at an animal and don't understand what goes through your mind the split-second before you release the arrow or the bullet.  No matter how good of a hunter you are, sometimes you make the wrong decision.

The other group has been loudly proclaiming that coyotes are "vermin" and are therefore undeserving of a clean kill.  This is a sick outlook and those who proclaim it will never be welcome in a hunting party with me.  An ethical hunter will never disrespect his quarry with the flippant idea that they're "simply pests".

I'm guessing that if you had to do it over again, you probably wouldn't take the same shot.  However, a true hunter will do his best to see that an animal doesn't needlessly suffer because of a bad shot.  You have done that, and I commend you for it.

You, sir, have risen above both groups and shown yourself to be a true hunter.  My hat is off to you, and if you're ever in Colorado, I'd be happy to go hunting with you.

[beer]

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Well said 1911. If we are to ever save hunting and shooting there needs to be some ethics involved.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]
How did so many sensitive, ignorant, half-men, get lost on the Berkeley forum and wind up here.

newblkrifle- Your the man!  I used to do the same stuff when I was a bit younger, it's what real men do, they follow their natural predatory drive.  Not only is it natural, but it's fun!

Oh ya, and for all the ignorant people who made posts, your right, coyotees always kill their prey very humanely, especially when they killed my mother's house pet.  They did not terrorize the cat one bit, the death was instantaneous and the cat was proud to be part of the food chain, if only the coyote had your elite attitude, I guess it would become a vegetarian for all our benefit and take us down the road toward world Peace.  And lastly, FREE TIBET!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I too, am an Archer and would have taken the shot. 25 yds is well within Bow Range, Coyotes are problematic and have no other predators besides man. I guess none of you who are Flaming this fellow have ever seen what a Coyote or a pack of Coyotes do to deer or their other prey. They will run them down and devour them alive.
Most likely as some have said, you just cut him and he will recover from his wounds.
Next time, take just another moment and make the shot count.
My .02
Tommy

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hello,
By reading some of the replies you can tell who lives in a city and who is a  country boy , who is a hunter and who is not , it's like those who own a AR15 that wants to keep them and those who dont who says you shouldnt have them .

iam a Archer / iam a country Boy /i own AR15s
and i would of tooken the shot too !!

TS2
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, your point is appreciated and well taken, but even though I've always been a city boy, the testoterone in my nuts brought me out to the country where I tried to kill every animal I could find, excluding house pets.  Real men have a predatory drive no matter where they are from.  And there are those who lack testosterone from all parts as well.  I just wish I did not have to come in contact with them.  At least chicks have hooters, and therefore we men put up with it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...I did go back and look for the coyote about 3 hours later. My dog took me right to the spot that I lost blood and seem to get confused. I think that it must have stopped there to lick it's wounds and stopped bleeding. I made a bunch of sweeps around that area with my dog and he never showed interest in anything except the original trail.
View Quote

Good for you.  At least you show some respect for your quarry.  

Coyotes are a hell of a problem in some places, and I have no problem with a quick kill.  As far as them being like rats, I guess there will always be differences on that -- you could make the same argument in some places about deer or geese.

Some of the guys were a little hard on you, maybe that's hard to take.  But listen to them and the others who differed with you, too, and not just the guys who pat you on the back without question.  

I've dropped a few guys as hunting partners who showed little respect for their game or the land, even though they seemed to be basically good guys otherwise.

The remarks about anyone questioning your situation being non-hunters, from the city, green party, or whatever else, of course are just plain absurd.

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not going to read every one of these bitching and moaning posts.  I'll just give my 2 cents.

I've got no problem with taking out pests, Democrats and other vermin.  As a personal code, I always try for a clean shot, especially when bowhunting.  I dislike seeing any animal suffer [except the Democrat].  Sounds like you made a good faith effort in tracking down your prey.  Good work, sorry you didn't find it and finish the job.  It happens.

Those of you who believe wounding 'pests' is okay and fun, well, you're more than a little twisted in my book.  Clean kills are always more rewarding.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How did so many sensitive, ignorant, half-men, get lost on the Berkeley forum and wind up here.

newblkrifle- Your the man!  I used to do the same stuff when I was a bit younger, it's what real men do, they follow their natural predatory drive.  Not only is it natural, but it's fun!

Oh ya, and for all the ignorant people who made posts, your right, coyotees always kill their prey very humanely, especially when they killed my mother's house pet.  They did not terrorize the cat one bit, the death was instantaneous and the cat was proud to be part of the food chain, if only the coyote had your elite attitude, I guess it would become a vegetarian for all our benefit and take us down the road toward world Peace.  And lastly, FREE TIBET!!!!!!!
View Quote

I make a clean humane kill because I have the tools to do so not because I have an elite attitude, the coyote is an animal trying to survive anyway it can and I dont fault him for it. I have shot many coyotes in my life but I dont need to be a vicious dick about it.

FREE TIBET because he wants out of KALI.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, we agree cockroaches are definately worth somping on, and if one is wounded big deal.

Rats are vermin, yet are warm blooded little bastards, and if you don't get a clean kill, big deal.

At what point do we consider an animal a pretty, lovable ,noble beast?  Around the size of a cat maybe?  The coyotes are as bad as fucking rats, they are just bigger.

Some of you might as well sell all your guns and start voting for the green party.  Bunch of sissies!

Balming
View Quote

And I'll add anyone who doesn't think any of their actions have led to the death, suffering and destruction of other animals lives in a plastic shell, and is fed nothing but organicaly grown vegitables.

Oh wait. That plastic is made from petrolium products and you have the guilt of the Exon Valdies on your conscience.

Nice try newb.  Next time breath through your mouth and concentrate.  Pick a spot and focus.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Aww I love some of these dip$hits on this board.. Don't worry about it newblkrifle.. Some of these guys who are bashing are sitting on their cushy couches at home in the city and never hunted a day in their life. You had a what you thought was a shot you took it, it didn't result in a clean kill. Not much you can do. I think tracking for an hour and coming to a dead end was plenty. I shot a pheasant last year and only winged it. I only looked for 15 min.. No blood trail nothing. I walked away. Did I like it no.
So lets here it, all you sh!T talkers!! ilikelegs?? any ?'s.. Your the fucking idiot!!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I love how when a coyote kills or maims a deer it is the natural order of things.  But when the super predator (man) kills or maims the lesser predator (coyote) it is cruel and unatural.

Would it make a difference to you folks if it was a wolf (the coyote's "natural" predator) that had wounded, but not killed, the coyote?

Would it make a difference to the coyote?
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top