Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/20/2002 5:34:15 PM EDT
Looking to buy a quality set of meaurement calipers (vernier). General purpose use. Should I go digital or analog (dial) type? Pros/cons? Any brands to recommend? Thanks for any tips or feedback.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:12:12 PM EDT
Starrett's top of the line - $140 or so. But you can a cheap one made in one of those oriental countries that'll do for most anything +/- 0.0005".
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:03:56 PM EDT
I've got a whole mess of [url=http://www.starrett.com/]starrett[/url] stuff(including a 6" dial caliper as refrence here). So please no bs about what follows, I do my damnest to always buy American. I was at [url=http://www.harborfreight.com]Harbor Freight[/url] for something.. saw their [url=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47257]digital calipers[/url] on sale, for less than $20, I thought I'd give them a try, as I did not have any metric calipers and I was needing to measure some metric stuff... Anyway, You can always take stuff back at harbor freight with a receipt. Impression: I was impressed, sure made in China, I had 2nd,3rd and 4th thoughts about even looking at them.. They are very nicely finished, dare I say as nice as [url=http://www.brownandsharpe.com/]B&S[/url]. nice fitted case spare battery included! I got out my Starret standards, and this thing was as accurate as my Starret 6" I have (analog dial) (accurate to 0.001 but reads out to 0.0005") metric & standard in one unit. not bad for the [i]sale price[/i] of $20, if you don't have the budget for Starret.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:06:43 PM EDT
Pave: Get a Starrett 120 series, dial type, stainless steel, made in USA. Brownell's has them for around $120, but you can find them in new condition on ebay for half price. Just type Starrett into the search box. They are quite useful and handy tools.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:09:29 PM EDT
www.micromark.com #82556 Digital $40 #80973 Dial Caliper $33 I have the Dial Caliper, use it for measuring overall length of brass for reloading, etc. All I need for this work. Lots of other good small tools from this company, they will send you a free catalog.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:10:44 PM EDT
I swear by Mitutoyo. Use their metrology instruments at work every day. [url]www.mitutoyo.com[/url] -T.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:34:32 PM EDT
Mitutoyo is nice - I have their solar/electronic caliper and a Digimike set (non-electronic) that I got as a company christmas gift a couple jobs ago, and I RILLY like them! Eyes get a little tired trying to read those Vernier scales, y'know? Buying for myself, I wait until I can afford Starrett or Brown&Sharpe. Failing USA, I will ONLY go European (German is good) or Japanese with offshore-made stuff. Same thing with tooling. I have been looking into getting a compact lathe and mill, or an all-in-one machine. A buddy tried to turn me on to Grizzly, but all their bases and ways are made in Taiwan - no thanks! I'm going to get a Sherline set when I get the scratch together - the set I want (that will do MOST of what I want to do) I expect to run about $2,000 - that's for a compact lathe and an 8-way mill, plus dividing table and other accessories... FFZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:50:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FreeFireZone: Vernier scales
View Quote
I tried teaching one of our junior employees how to read a vernier scale. He had no expierience with precision measuring instruments other than a digital caliper. I stood around the corner where he couldn't see me giggling about remarks such as: "What the f^%k is this!" "F*&K this shit!" Quite amusing.. -T.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 5:01:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:23:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By toaster:
Originally Posted By FreeFireZone: Vernier scales
View Quote
I tried teaching one of our junior employees how to read a vernier scale. He had no expierience with precision measuring instruments other than a digital caliper. I stood around the corner where he couldn't see me giggling about remarks such as: "What the f^%k is this!" "F*&K this shit!" Quite amusing.. -T.
View Quote
Thats funny....I'd like to see him try to use a MARINE SEXTANT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:26:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:36:48 AM EDT
Enco has a good selection of calipers and other tools. They have a catalog similar in size to Brownell's. [url]www.use-enco.com[/url] You can get a 6" digital Starrett with carbide face and digital outputs for $220. Expensive, but it can be useful if you need to take a series of measurements and want to capture the output into a computer. I try to buy everything American, but I'm flexible when it comes to ammo.
Top Top