Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2002 9:45:47 AM EDT
WHITE HOUSE GAME SHOW: MURDOCH NET PLANS 'AMERICAN CANDIDATE'; WINNER TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT '04

Move over American Idol. Here comes American President:

A Rupert Murdoch TV game show that may choose the outcome of the next White House race!

Cable channel FX is set to mount an ambitious two-year endeavor that will culminate in the American public voting on -- a "people's candidate" to run for president of the United States in 2004!

MORE

100 candidates will start the series.

During subsequent episodes, candidates will square off in numerous competitions, like debates.

The number of semifinalists will be whittled down each week, based on live audience response and telephone/Internet voting.

Each episode will originate from all-American locales such as Mount Rushmore or the Statue of Liberty.

But the final episode of the series will be an "American Candidate" convention, held live on the National Mall in Washington around July 4, 2004!

Viewers will determine the winning candidate from among three finalists.

The series will be seeking "the Jesse Venturas of the world, finding messages people want to hear," added Kevin Reilly, FX's president of entertainment. "Hopefully, we'll find some very qualified civil servant who lacks a power base and maybe also a plumber from Detroit who (tells) it like it is."

"It's like a cross between 'The War Room' and 'American Idol,"' producer RJ Cutler tells this weekend's Daily Variety.

"We will be making available to every American who is qualified, by virtue of the Constitution, the opportunity to run for president."

Just as "American Idol" went searching for undiscovered musical talent, Cutler said "American Candidate" will be on the hunt for untapped political and leadership skill.

It is not clear the ethical ramifications of Murdoch's NEWS CORP financing a presidential candidate's launch.

The game show appears to be inspired by a Buenos Aires television channel which is launching a series called "The People's Candidate" -- where the winner will be nominated as a candidate for the '03 congressional elections in Argentina.

Developing...

-----------------------------------------------------------
We simply must run Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if ten thousand or so AR15.com member signatures would be enough to get Hun on the show?
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I will run......[:D]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Ed Sr for Vice President.

He can still write for AR15.com from an undisclosed location.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if the unconstitutional campaign finance law will prevent this from happening

doesn't it cut down on the amount of money a candidate can get from corporations?

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]
With two years of wall to wall TV coverage, who needs contributors?

Every show, every week will be an hour long Campaign ad!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
We promise that no one here at AR15.com would ask Hun to shave off his beard (Al Gore grew one.) or the wear earth tones because the soccer moms find them soothing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Boy we are a truly BORED society. [V]

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#8]
But think of it McCallan.  A chance, even if our candidate were to lose, to place the RKBA agenda squarely in front of the American public EVERY WEEK IN PRIME TIME!!!

Mark my words, there will be a Gun Rights candidate on this show, the only question is will he be some trumped up David Duke wacko (A scenario the networks would just love), or somebody with a grain of common sense, that we picked out ourselves...Like the Hun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Mark my words, there will be a Gun Rights candidate on this show, the only question is will he be some trumped up David Duke wacko ...
View Quote

that sounds about right, but i'm a pessemist

this sounds stoopid, but it could be a pretty cool opportunity if the network doesn't stack the deck too much

sadly, i'm imagining having a member of NSYNC as president now, how much of the population voted in the last election? i can't remember the number, but i know it was pathetic. could a crowd of idiot TV sheep come in and sweep away both of the republicrat candidates?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top