Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2002 9:06:38 AM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/09/20/afghan.raid/index.html[/url]

BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A U.S. Special Operations base in eastern Afghanistan came under attack by rockets and small arms fire, prompting the U.S. forces to respond, according to military spokesman Col. Roger King.

No U.S. forces were injured in Friday's attack.

The enemy forces launched six 107-mm rockets toward the base in Lwara -- southwest of Khowst -- but overshot their target. King said the nearest rocket landed 250 meters from the installation.

The U.S. forces responded with mortars, small arms fire and close air support. Two Air Force A-10 "tank busters" attacked a ridgeline east of the installation, where the attackers were believed to be located.

The A-10s dropped four bombs and fired 500 rounds of cannon fire. The battle lasted for nearly two hours, King said.

Patrols are scanning the area trying to determine the extent of causalities on the enemy side, King said.

U.S. military posts have been targets for suspected Taliban and al Qaeda remnants in Afghanistan.

Rocket attacks on U.S. bases have been almost a daily ritual in eastern and southern Afghanistan, but Friday's differed in that it involved attackers who stayed around to fight.

Past rocket attacks have usually involved the use of timing devices to fire the missiles long after the attackers had left the scene.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Those ex-talibani's are tenacious, but not too bright.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The backlash is coming, just like with the Soviets...
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of range do these 107mm rockets have?
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Muhhamad-Bob, why don't we take the ol truck out with the guys and pick on the U.S. Military? I'm sure they're no match for the 5 of us and our AK's and rockets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
They used to set up rockets and mortars with timers so that when the Soviets responded they would be just wasting their ammo on people who were gone hours or days before.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL - I bet the rags about shit themselves when the Devil's Cross opened up on them!  Damn my eyesight - I'd have been flying one of them if not for these stupid hand-me-downs from my mother's bad genetics.  Grrrrrrr.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only in your anti-American wet dreams, conspiracy-boy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They used to set up rockets and mortars with timers so that when the Soviets responded they would be just wasting their ammo on people who were gone hours or days before.
View Quote
Yep, standard operating procedure for the Muj would be to set up delay fire rockets, and be clear of the AO when the rockets were fired.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, standard operating procedure for the Muj would be to set up delay fire rockets, and be clear of the AO when the rockets were fired.
View Quote

But this time they also tried to pick a gunbattle as well as the rockets. So this time there is a chance that the A10's hit something.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
trickshot's here???? im stayin away. i smell sh#@.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

But this time they also tried to pick a gunbattle as well as the rockets. So this time there is a chance that the A10's hit something.
View Quote
I hope so, they didnt mention hitting anyone, or any enemy wounded. i hope with all the weaponry they unleashed on the suspected rocket site that they at least hit something.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

View Quote
I hope so, they didnt mention hitting anyone, or any enemy wounded. i hope with all the weaponry they unleashed on the suspected rocket site that they at least hit something.
View Quote

I don't think they bombed the rocket site. I think they sent the ordinance to where the small arms fire was coming from. Because they seem to know about the rocket on a timer trick.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top