Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2002 7:20:50 PM EDT
[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/7IDL%2Forion%2Ejpg[/img]

Here's the latest addition to my 'family' (Orion)

adopted from the local animal shelter. He's about 9mo from what we can figure out. (he was a 'stray')

He went under the knife yesterday, poor fella!

he's only eaten about 1 cup of food today.
quite reserved, quiet and submissive.  I don't know if the submissive part is previous owner related or my being the "leader".
He follows me around, and won't let me out of his sight if he can help it.
not much for stairs, unless he's on a leash, although he came downstairs just now for the first time, on his own. (it's where I have my computer) and laying down about 3ft away.
He's real good in the car.  
Doesn't bark (well, he did a couple times today (to my surprise) when I dissapeared out of view.
He hasn't put anything in his mouth so far (good sign?)

My daughter is excided to have the dog, but I can sense she's a bit dissapointed, the dog doesnt respond favorable to her, like he does me. Oh, he's kind and gentle, its getting him to do something for her...

All things considered, not too bad for his first 24hrs here.  Hope I can bring out the hunter in him.. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a great dog. I think you have a keeper. My take on his behaviour is that you are the only chance for stability in a life that has been in turmoil for weeks/months. Once he feels secure and is used to you and his environment, he will warm up to your daughter and not have to have you in sight every minute. Let us know how he does.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking boy ya got there! Let us know how he adjusts. Man's best friend...

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I think his lack of appetite has something to do with his surgery.  Somebody did that to me I wouldn't bee too hungry.  He's a beautiful dog.  Any idea what breeds he has in him?

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
far as we can figure, he's mostly yellow lab.

he's eating a little bit now, and has found his 'voice'!

Stairs are not a problem anymore.

Am finding out he is an escape artist. 5 so far!  ...he's getting over a 4ft fence somehow.

[:)]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice lookin critter there....could use some meat on those bones...

I found a new way to train my two boys...[b]fried Liver treats![/b]

They go nuts over them.  [:P]

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#8]
nice looking pup. Looks like he might have a little Ridgeback in him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#9]
7IDL Congrats you are now a Alpha Male the leader of Pack, sounds like a damn good Dog give him love and it will be givin back ten fold
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
If a pup is getting over your 4 foot fence, you're headed for grief down the road. [shock] Are you sure he isn't digging under or squeezing through?

We had to replace our 3-foot fence with a 5-foot job to keep our male black lab from taking to the streets.  This was after trying the electrical zapping collar training regimine and other measures.

Good luck with him, he looks like a nifty pooch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top