Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 11:18:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:16:13 PM EDT
Need some more info... [b]A)[/b] Ski lengths in cm's ([i]tip to tail[/i]) [b]B)[/b] Ski widths in cm's (under foot and widest point of ski[/i]) [b]C)[/b] Type of bindings ([i]30mm, 75mm, Salomon plate..?[/i]) [b]D)[/b] Base type ([i]waxable or waxless[/i]) [b]E)[/b] Manufacturering materials ([i]wood, foam, composite[/i]) I am a very avid XC-Skiier, and used to do a lot of marathon racing... If you email me a good set of pics, I can help you out! I typically paid anywhere from $250-$400 per set of skiis, and then the boot/binding systems were extra, and these were only for mid-range racing & touring skiis. I currently own 4 pair of XC and 1 pair of downhill.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:28:13 PM EDT
I was kinda hoping we were talking about downhill skiing. [:(] My favorite activity of all time. I hate to admit it, but it is even better than shooting! Hey Anti- Where do you downhill ski?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:28:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:40:30 PM EDT
Torf: I don't downhill anymore, since I moved to Illinois, but have skiied the hills at Chesnut Mountain, in Galena. Nice for midwest! Garand_Shooter: If the base is smooth, they are waxable skiis... if they have a rough textured pattern, they are waxless.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:43:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2002 12:48:55 PM EDT by jdxb4]
Man, those look like downhill skis to me. Especially seeing as they are "210." Could they be telemark skis?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:51:53 PM EDT
from your pix, they are obviously foam core, and look to be waxable. Can you describe the bindings, and what about the potential availability of boots..? [*] For the right price, I may be interested in a pair.. Maybe trade for a couple of mags..?[/*]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:55:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jdxb4: Man, those look like downhill skis to me. Especially seeing as they are "210." Could they be telemark skis?
View Quote
Thats what I'm thinking. I skiied Chestnut Mtn. a few years ago. It was pretty fun, but nothing like Colorado!
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2002 1:00:57 PM EDT by EX_SP]
Those look like Tele-ski, since it looks like thay have metal edges.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:14:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:02:33 AM EDT
I am reading that these are military and function as both Nordic (cross-country) and Alpine (downhill) skis. They are pretty wide for Nordic skiing, and they do not have the characteristic, severely upswept tip of a true Nordic ski. The moderately upswept tip, width, and the metal edges are characteristic of downhill skis. I think that these are most similar to telemark skis, where one descends downhill, but with a cross-country like style ("free heeling") sometimes dragging one ski behind for stability and braking. I believe this idea is reinforced by the stipulation for boots without a flexible sole. Telemarkers wear mountain climbing expedition-style stiff high-top leather boots, whereas Alpine skiers wear hard, mid-calf plastic boots that nearly immobilize the foot, and cross-country skiers wear something like soft high-top sneakers with an inflexible sole. It seems like you'll need some special-issue military Alpine hiking boot with holes drilled in the toe to use those bindings, but I could be wrong. I believe that these will descend the mountain in a "free heeling" way well, but "fixed heel" control downhill is not a strong suit, and neither is cross-country travel. I think these are "general purpose," and may be more valuable to a survivalist than a recreational skier. Does anyone else get this impression too? Correct me if I a wrong anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:31:39 AM EDT
Know anyone from the 10th Mountain Division ? Those guys would have the info cold ! After being an instructor 30 years ago , I really can't say what those skis are worth in todays market .
Top Top