Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2002 2:27:57 PM EDT
i am, in canda. i'm at nscc in halifax. i'm finding it pretty hard. not to mention i got inot the course a week late. if they're anybody here taking it, i w ould appreciate any help i can get. i have difficulty with math, and anybody who's taken the course knows it's 90% math. (hehe, no)

it's the only way i can see that i can get into what i want to do, which is design (and possibly build) off-road 4x4's. i want to be able to think about wheeling all day, and get payed for it.

if you can help shoot me an email, or post here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, ME is a major and not just one course.  As for help, your textbook is a good start.  If the prescribed one that you are using dosen't work for you, look at other offerings at used book stores in your area or online used book sites (ex: half.com).  The principles haven't changed in several decades (I still refer to a book my dad bought when he was in college in th '50s).
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my Industrial Engineering degree some years back.  I had to take all the 2nd and third year ME classes.  The 2nd year ones are designed to weed out the riff-raff.  Statics, dynamics, strength or materials, and thermodynamics....  If you are in Statics and are having issues, thermo will blow your mind.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well im not in ME but am looking at it anyway.  It's getting to the point that i need to decide what my major is going to be and go for it.  

As for advice/help, I'd say ask a teacher if your having problems with a certain concept.  The ones at my school at least for the most part are more than willing to go one on one if you are willing to listen and put forth the effort.  

One other thing you may want to look into is this.  At my school we have certain rooms where students can meet and get help regarding certain subjects.  IE: The math room for any math problems etc.  They try to keep someone there on a regular basis and if no teacher is available, usually there are other students who probably could help.  Just a thought anyway.  

Oh and reading all the text given is a good start, as headpulper mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
i'm taking "mechanical engineering technology" at a community college, i'm not in university. i'm gonna talk to the teachers cause i missed the first week and i have no idea what we're doing in pysics and statics.

statics isn't blowing my mind, it's just streching it, by i imagine thermo will be mega-hard.

i have to do this, i will do this. i will get marks. i'm just having a tough time doing it, gotta go do homework now. later.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
i open my text to read, like you said,

we have to read ch.16 for homework. it's the first chapter in "what" section????, you guessed it, THERMODYNAMICS!!! here we go...
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I seriously suggest you form a study group with some of your classmates.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i have no idea what we're doing in pysics and statics.

statics isn't blowing my mind, it's just streching it, by i imagine thermo will be mega-hard.

View Quote

AHHHHHHH. You bring back those damn nightmares again....AHHHHHH [>Q]

I grew up thinking that engineer drove a train! Statics and Strengths of materials? WTF! I think that was the start of my downfall!

Good Luck [:D]
You'll need it!

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a ME senior at University of Florida. I was a tutor for Mechanics of Materials for a while (which really means tutor for pretty much anything they might ask you). If you are having trouble with a specific concept or problem, I might be able to help.

In general, the bread and butter ME courses like strengths of materials (mechanics at my school) and thermo usually require plenty of work. I don't know about your school, but the grades here are about 90% tests, 10% homework. The idea is that you are doing the homework to make sure you understand the concepts. Whether you get a particular homework problem right isn't usually a big deal, but you have to know the concepts if you want to do well on the tests.

Even if there aren't any designated help rooms, you can usually find a bunch of students hanging out somewhere doing homework. These are usually good places to get help, or at least answers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i have difficulty with math, and anybody who's taken the course knows it's 90% math.
View Quote

If you have difficulty with math, then you picked one hell of a major.  I would have studied engineering too, but I know my limitations.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
i know i have difficulty with math, but this is the only thing that will get me working with 4x4's AND get me a ton of money.

mace i might take you up on that offer, your right about the tests and homework

i've got a friend in this course who's really good at this stuff and finds math easy. i'll hang out with him as much as i can, maybe start a study group.

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, here is the best advice I can give.  Do every one of your homework assignments.  All the reading and do every one of the problems assigned.  If you have problems with the exercises, you can always ask the instructor for help or their assistant with help.  The nice thing about doing all the exercises is when it comes to finals, your already done studying because you already know how to do everything in the course.

Do the exercises...always.  Every day you are in class builds on the previous information and if you don't get it now, you are gonna really not get it tomorrow.

The thermodynamics class I was in was a 5 credit class.  We had 2-3 hours of homework every weeknight for thermo itself, so that was a very busy quarter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm doing all my homework, i will continue too, then i can ask the teacher specific questions if i don't understand something.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I don't know if this will help you any, but I can teach you how to use a slide rule[:)] The only calculators around when I was taking ME were mega expensive HP things that cost way more than your average PC or calculator cost now and couldn't do half what modern ones can. I can also make you a good deal on a shit load of (almost) antique drafting tools.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I did Physics and Math in College. My advice to you is to review your Physics and Math, and work out the examples in the chapters of your Engineering book with a pen and paper.

Thermodynamics isn't that bad...
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#16]
My thoughts are that you might be in the wrong major.  Sounds to me like you could get an industrial design degree and still do close to what you want.  One of my friends decided that he wanted the creative freedom of a design degree after he ran into too much calc in his engineering program.  Hes happier now and doing what he likes.  I stuck with the ME program because I'm a mechanical person and hands on. I was disappointed to find that most engineering students aren't passionate for what they do but were good at math in high school and wanted to make money with it.  Most ME graduates would hurt themselves with a screwdriver  [B)].

Im not sure how things work in Canada but here the MET degrees are usually less math intensive then a straight ME program.  Don't let these guys scare you too much, Thermo sucks but it won't kill ya (Vibrations and Fluid Mechanics on the other hand...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top