Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2002 11:30:51 AM EDT
[url]http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992796[/url] Now if this can be done with basic equipment lying around any old science lab, what pray tell can Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos-type labs accomplish and what have they already done?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:32:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DJbump: [url]http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992796[/url] Now if this can be done with basic equipment lying around any old science lab, what pray tell can Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos-type labs accomplish and what have they already done?
View Quote
If I told you, they would have to kill you.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:50:35 AM EDT
Ok, here's the scoop on this. No physical laws (as we know them) have been broken. Light travels slower through a material than it does through vacuum. That's because it runs into electrons (which take up most of the volume of any matter). Electricity moves at the speed of light through materials. What these guys did was to send electricity through a material (electric cables) faster than it would normally go. Certainly not faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which we believe to be an absolute "speed limit". They did so by spreading out the signal wave & using some creative interference so that the leading edge of the wave moves faster than the whole thing. It's definitely cool stuff, but it doesn't break any physical laws.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:52:05 AM EDT
fizassist, ssshhhhhh! they'll be coming for you.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:57:41 AM EDT
Dude, I am "they". [}:D]
Originally Posted By thedave1164: fizassist, ssshhhhhh! they'll be coming for you.....
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:50:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:58:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fizassist: Ok, here's the scoop on this. No physical laws (as we know them) have been broken. Light travels slower through a material than it does through vacuum. That's because it runs into electrons (which take up most of the volume of any matter). Electricity moves at the speed of light through materials. What these guys did was to send electricity through a material (electric cables) faster than it would normally go. Certainly not faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which we believe to be an absolute "speed limit". They did so by spreading out the signal wave & using some creative interference so that the leading edge of the wave moves faster than the whole thing. It's definitely cool stuff, but it doesn't break any physical laws.
View Quote
actually the lightspeed barrier is no longer a steady limit. it is now known to be variable dependent upon outside forces. some group of British scientists years ago "broke" the lightspeed Barrier with a pulsed beam of light. what they really found was the barrier isn't a hard limit.(read it in pop-sci, so no link) consider the theorized existence of blackholes, gravitational forces so intense not even light escapes. theoretically light will accelerate as it gets closer to a black hole (when in it's grav field) it. also light that is far enough away not be be "sucked in" but still pulled on and effected by it could actually swing around it. this could actually make the same star appear twice. once is the real one. the second is its light that got near the black hole and arched around it toward earth(granted this is about 1 in Infinity's chance of happening). as for the light that "misses" a blackhole but has been affected by it it would be slower than other light because it had to escape the gravitational force of the blackhole. and since energy cannot be regained without another form of energy to take it from that light will never accelerate without the help of other gravitational forces. and they could slow it down even further. so some stars light could be older than we think. mainly because we don't know everything that is affecting the light itself. (ain't theoretical spacial BS fun?) (GAHHH!!!!!! this crap makes my head hurt)
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:11:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2002 2:12:20 PM EDT by Silence]
Erm, nope. Light that 'fights' gravity doesnt slow down, it Redshifts (to infinity if it is trying to escape a singularity). If it is 'going with' gravity it blue shifts (again to infinity as approaches a singularity). But its velocity does not change. As to gravity lenses (the warping of light) every piece of matter causes one, it just takes alot of mass to make a difference. Galaxies also cause double images, this is actually proven stuff here, there are pictures of the same quasars 'lensed' by galaxies and showing a double image.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:14:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:28:45 PM EDT
klink? wtf?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:30:14 PM EDT
blueshift/redshift eh? like i said.. this stuff makes my head hurt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:32:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ColonelKlink: This is a table. What in essence it consists of is a horizontal rectilinear plane surface maintained by four columnar supports which we call 'legs'. This is the most advanced table you will find anywhere in the world.
View Quote
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Nice one klink... some good ol' fashioned randomness that sounds like it fits but really has no bearing on the subject at hand. I couldn't help but laugh. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:38:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 4:29:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 82ndAbn: Does all light in a vacuum travel at the same speed? Or do certain concentrated, laser-like beams move through faster?
View Quote
No, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant. BTW, very enlightening, pardon the pun, who got excited about the BS article...
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 5:08:47 PM EDT
Unbreakable Laws...Actually Breakable? There is nothing unbreakable. Just give it to my 14 year old son.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 5:16:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Halfcocked: There is nothing unbreakable.
View Quote
My point exactly. Universal constants are NOT constant. Neither is the speed of light a limitation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 5:47:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DJbump:
Originally Posted By Halfcocked: There is nothing unbreakable.
View Quote
My point exactly. Universal constants are NOT constant. Neither is the speed of light a limitation.
View Quote
Thanks for your opinion on physics. Unfortunately for you, the laws of physics aren't a matter of opinion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 5:54:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RikWriter: about the BS article...
View Quote
So are you saying that you can't believe everything you read? Like, say, if you read something in a doctorate level science text, for example, that it's validity could be questioned?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2002 6:03:40 PM EDT by fizassist]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Originally Posted By DJbump: Universal constants are NOT constant. Neither is the speed of light a limitation.
View Quote
Thanks for your opinion on physics. Unfortunately for you, the laws of physics aren't a matter of opinion.
View Quote
[b]Bingo, Baby![/b] Here's a little algebra: It has been shown by countless experiments that the energy of an object with nonzero mass is given by: E = m * c / square_root(v*v/(c*c) - 1) (m = mass, v = speed, c = speed of light in a vacuum) See how the denominator goes to zero as v approaches c? That means that as v nears c, the energy approaches infinity. Since energy is conserved, something else would have to surrender an [b]infinite[/b] amount of energy to make any other object go the speed of light. And there ain't no such thing as an infinite amount of energy...
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:11:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DJbump: So are you saying that you can't believe everything you read?
View Quote
I'm saying you can't believe ANYTHING you read in a post by DJbump.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:22:00 PM EDT
RikWriter-- You're going to have a really hard next few years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:29:23 PM EDT
fizassist, that is classic Einstien. No argument, he was a whole lot smarter than I am! I find that research interesting but suspect. Like any science, they are welcome to prove it. Ain't happened yet IMHO. Remeber "cold fusion"? As to the comment about atoms making up most of matter, I thought most matter was really space BETWEEN atoms. What did I miss? Is not red vs blue shift speed differences or is that just my puny mind trying to understand this? As I remember it, the "propogation velocity" in copper is about 92% C. Is that in error?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:38:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:21:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DJbump: RikWriter-- You're going to have a really hard next few years.
View Quote
Oh, I know. Bringing up a daughter won't be easy. That's what you were talking about right? Because any other way, it would be idiotic nonsense. Ooooh, I forgot who I was talking to for a moment...of course it was idiotic nonsense.
Top Top