Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2002 9:11:56 AM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/752285/posts[/url]

The display of an American flag evoked controversy yesterday after students say a Mexican flag was removed from the same
on-campus site.

In the morning, construction workers renovating the Chemistry and Geology Building hung a Mexican flag on the structure to celebrate
Mexican Independence Day. It was placed above an American flag, which had been hanging on the building since early last week.

After receiving phone calls inquiring about the Mexican flag, Business Enterprises -- which handles all university signage -- contacted
the facilities department and asked them to have the contractor remove both flags, said Joe Vasquez, associate vice president of the
department.

However, according to MEChA chairperson Naddia Cherre, the Mexican flag was removed but the American flag remained.

In response, MEChA [url]http://www.americanpatrol.com/MECHA/MEChAindex.html[/url] members rallied in front of the building and chanted "Viva Mexico" with the Mexican workers, which, according to
Cherre, make up 90 percent of the construction crew.

"We went for them," Cherre said. "Most of them are Mexican and we just wanted to show them some support."
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Fsck it. If the American Flag offends you, get the fsck outta here. And kindly leave the money you made here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#4]
When flying the US flag accompanied by flags of other nations,  The US flag is to be flown above and/or higher than the other nation's flag.   If they flew it inappropriately the college was right to have it corrected.   Heck any BoyScout could have seen the issue there and known it was wrong.  

Edited to add;   As my dad used to say, "If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out."
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah...I'm sure the American flag offends someone so why don't we just make it non descript.....I know... how about just plain white!
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me translate what Wave said (Southern style).

Fuck it and the horse you rode in on..if the American flag offends you, get the fuck out and leave the money you made here at the border.

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top