Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]

You'll never get them all if you're just going to wait for them to show themselves and then dispatch them.

Go to your hardware store and get some of those old fashioned rat traps - that kind that will break your thumb if it goes off on it.

When I live in Alaska, we had those big monster Norway rats and we used those to kill them.

They're great and they work 24 hours a day.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I looked at some pellet rifles and decided I want a nice accurate high power one. Decided to buy it online, so I looked for a rat zapper and could not find one so I bought 4 rat traps instead. $8

Win.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
500 fps, quieter than an air gun, and cheaper than buying an air rifle.http://www.eabco.com/CartImages/Aguila/SuperColibri.gif

This is your answer

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Peanut butter
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully I will have some kill pics in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
No rats in the traps!

Wtf?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No rats in the traps!

Wtf?

Rats can't escape from something flying at them at 700fps
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No rats in the traps!

Wtf?

Either your bait sucks or they stole your bait.

Take some velveeta and put it on the paddle.  Then take a break tie and wrap it around the paddle and velveeta.

Mr Rat will have to tug at the cheese to get it off and BLAM....see ya Mr Rat.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I used peanut butter.

One trap was tripped, no rat.

Another trap had the peanut butter gone but not tripped.

We will see what tonight brings.

ETA. Tomorrow I will do the tug bait thing, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used peanut butter.

One trap was tripped, no rat.

Another trap had the peanut butter gone but not tripped.

We will see what tonight brings.

ETA. Tomorrow I will do the tug bait thing, thanks.

Adjust the trigger on the traps so its lighter. Just cover the trigger with peanut butter, a glob will be easier for them to lick a bit without bumping it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you looked at any of the .22 pellet rifles ? They pack allot more punch than the .177.

The Gamo whisper quiet is a good one, plus it is quiet.

Try baiting the trap with a gum ball size piece of a snickers bar.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag for kill pics.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I kill lots of vermin with a spring piston .177 gamo from 10 to 40 yds,  cheap and fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.amazon.com/Agri-Zap-RZUIR1-Zapper-Ultra/dp/B000BWFESU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361202251&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+zapper

http://www.amazon.com/Driveway-Patrol-Sensor-Receiver-Kit/dp/B0000645RH/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1361202353&sr=1-1&keywords=portable+remote+motion+detector

no personal experience with that motion detector - search the "yellow forum" www.yellowforum.com for specific advice on rat hunting with a motion detector (it is a US based airgun forum).  UK based ones may have better info - as hunting rats with airguns is about all the hunting they have left anymore .

That said, I have not been hunting rats lately.  Neigbor did not spade his cats - and we had about a dozen semi ferals living between his house and mine - not much of a rat problem with that many underfed cats around.  That and there are hundreds of lbs of pecans on the ground - so no chance the rats will come to bait right now anyway.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#15]
this thing works awesome

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#16]

First trap kill. Guess he was too big for the rat trap
And did not get caught in the spring and got mottled from his injuries.

Dead 1 foot from sprung trap.

3 more to go
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Will take new pic with size when I get home. This is a fairly large rat
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Set it up like this one, get slo mo kill shot and post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rp-2_dAJ0k

Wow, cool video.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

22 Carbine, with pellets and stock.  $87, its a sign!  Used to be $67 at walmart.  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Doomsday-Bug-Out-Survival-Kit/21311833

The required pellet gun for this site is for sale at Walmart. My son has one and it's a fun gun. Good accuracy, but only shot at paper so far
M4-177

I'll second the fun/accuracy part of this air-rifle.  I bought one for my son on woot for $39 refurbished.  Currently using it for target practice since .223 is rare and expensive.  Like the Crosman 2100 it has a rifled barrel.    Not sure a .177 at 600 fps will have the energy to bring down a large rat though.  Also, many pellets will tumble as they slow from supersonic (>1000 fps), higher fpe from a somewhat slower but heavier pellet is often better for taking game, especially where the kill zone is the size of a quarter or dime.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I shot one with a Red Rider last night and it didn't do shit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one of these without a scope, that has taken 2 or 3 rabbits and a couple mice. Put 10 pumps and a pellet in it, bye bye rat.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Get a break barrel .17 gun around the $100 mark that is 1,000 fps. These quickly dispatch small rodents like squirrels and rats.

Fiber optic sights are a major plus; scopes are less than worthless on an airgun, since they don't handle the recoil well and always loose zero.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I favor the 22 cal air rifles. The Benjamins aren't horrible at $125.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Go to any store that sells pellet rifles and pick out one that advertizes " 1200 " or "1000 " feet per second velocity.

Why??  Because in reality they deliver much less FPS than promised.   Generally about 800 fps is what you can expect. This fps will take rats and squirrels consistently.

But a tin ov Crosman hollowpoint pellets .   They work the best for rodents.  IMO.

Good Hunting.

I've got a Gamo rifle that isn't lying on the FPS.  When I fire the special ammo through it that is a lighter alloy than lead, the thing goes supersonic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
fwiw, I have killed a lot of rats with a Rat Zapper.  If you want to hunt them, I would use bait and a motion detector (get one that has a radio remote).  It will tell you in the other room when there is a target rich environment.

this, ..ratzapper is awesome...   let the trap do the work...  why would one want to hang out in a garage all day waiting to spot one to shoot...  

Who wouldn't want to do that is a better question
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Get some 22 snake loads.  Quite effective and you don't need to worry about collateral damage in the garage.  Traps work too.
I had a fucking Willard moment years ago.  I lived on a canyon in San Diego and I walked into my detached garage one night, turned on the light
and there were rats, big fucking rats all sitting up on the top plates looking down at me.
I got 5 rat traps..baited them for 3 nights in a row without setting them and the fourth night they were all full.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Like the Crosman 2100 it has a rifled barrel.

The 2100 is a good rifle, I like mine. But I've used the Daisy 880 more often just because it's easier to pump. Velocity is less than the 2100, but it's still enough for the big vermin. I've killed some big bruisers with it.

My primary rat-slayer:

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Just get glue and spring traps. I cleaned out a nest in the shed and they went under my house. Once they found my dog food all hell broke loose. I killed seven in all but never could line up a shot with the pellet gun. learn their ways, they move along walls. Look for their trails and place spring traps perpendicular to the wall.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I've never had to shoot a rat, but I've taken out possums and even a woodchuck with a wrist rocket slingshot and lead ball .54 cal ammo.  The woodchuck might have just been luck, but the heavy ball caved the side of the last possums head in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
500 fps, quieter than an air gun, and cheaper than buying an air rifle.http://www.eabco.com/CartImages/Aguila/SuperColibri.gif

This is your answer

+1

These are amazing. I have killed over 30 squirrels in the last year around my house (in town) and nobody was the wiser. But keep a pellet gun close just in case.

Also, keep in mind that they do not have the power to cycle a semi-auto. No 10/22s. I use a Henry Lever for it, and it is the perfect setup. But a cheap single shot .22 will do fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

First trap kill. Guess he was too big for the rat trap

The big Norway rats up in Alaska would sometimes prove to be too big for the traps.  We caught one dragging a trap away while he was still in it.  We had to finish dispatching him by caving in his rat skull.

After that, I modified the traps with nails that poked up underneath the trap.  This makes the rat have to crawl over the nails to get to the bait.  Then when the trap goes off, it tacks him down over the nail.

Dead rats.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#32]
you reload or  know someone that does, Take a primed .223 case and use a .22 caliber pellet for the projectile, no powder
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
you reload or  know someone that does, Take a primed .223 case and use a .22 caliber pellet for the projectile, no powder

That us all I need is my libtard neighbors to call the coos and they show up with me shooting rats in my garage with an AR.

I had a bunch escape out into the front yard snow.

Bought a $40 Crossman 760 pump master and killed a small one with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]
This is how big they are. That is not a mouse trap, that is a rat trap. A big rat trap.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.

Quiet enough the neighbors across the street won't think anything?

Absolutely.  Out of a 20" barrel bolt action they are QUIETER than my Crosman 760.

EDIT:  My vote is for an MP-661K.  You'll be able to hit them on the run!
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh, oh, I want to tell my mouse hunting story.

It was  2-3 years ago. It started as hearing the occasional scratching or finding droppings here and there. I estimated 2-3 mice. We kept forgetting to pick up mousetraps at the store. Over a two week period it got OUT OF CONTROL. Constant never ending scurrying and scratching. Walking from one end of the house to the other you would see, at least, 2-3 mice scurrying around . Sitting on the couch a mouse would go buy along the wall every few minutes. Every morning would start with wiping the kitchen down with droppings. I have no idea how many mice were involved but it was a butt ton.

So, appalled, I made a trip to the store to get that package of traps we had been forgetting. Went back, waited until kids were in bed and everything was quiet. The kitchen was clean but I wiped it down anyway to get rid of anything mice might eat, baited the traps, flipped the lights off, and sat back down. Couldn't have been more than a few minutes when the first one went off. The second followed a moment later. A third popped right after that. I went, emptied the traps, rebaited, and set them back out. Rinse and repeat ALL NIGHT LONG. That first night was something like 15-20, no shit. Woke up to full traps. Waited until I got home from work to reset (Mrs. wouldn't touch them) and started all over.

The traps trickled off somewhere around 30. I don't recall the exact number. Thing was, there were still quite a few mice out there. These had just gotten too smart for the traps. I had to resort to other means. It was the dead of winter right after Christmas. I remember that because I used my boy's brand new Daisy BB gun. After some testing I discovered I couldn't trust the sights for minute of mice so I bought one of those $10 Tasco jobs and a packet of high end pellets (forget the name/brand). Couldn't wait for night.

I swept the floor super clean but left a trail of crumbs leading to a corner you could see from the couch. Then I got a throw blanket we covered up with and set up under it on the corner of the couch. Kids were in bed and I sent the Mrs. to read in the bedroom and waited. Only took a few minutes and the first one scurried over to the corner. I dispatched most with head shots at 9-10 feet. The others got hit right above the front legs, kind of like a deer. All were DRT with the exception of a stray shot that left him hobbled until I walked over to finish it off. So, a off the shelf Daisy with 10 pumps and pellets worked just fine for me.

Can't remember how many total I got like that but think it was well under 10. Something like 5-7? Anyway, a couple more fell to traps over the next week or two and that was it.

Moral of the story is address that mouse problem NOW. Before it becomes an embarrassing epidemic though the mouse hunting was a ton of fun when it started.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#37]
CCI Quiet-22 vs Aguila Colibri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZf0PkeV_Ik
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZf0PkeV_Ik[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfIFpdbox74
Cricket 22

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Well the rats are gone and the garage is empty except for the snow blower and lawn mower and some ladders on the wall that I just put back in and some bikes.

Tomorrow I will put a bleach solution on the floor to clean it and hang the cane and kayaks and bikes

I estimate about 6 rats escaped. I exect them to try and come back.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

THIS or some .22 #12 rat shot and some good earplugs
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

22 Carbine, with pellets and stock.  $87, its a sign!  Used to be $67 at walmart.  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Doomsday-Bug-Out-Survival-Kit/21311833

I bought one of those when I was 16. Still have it. I did cut the barrel down and put a crown on it a few years back. With a cheap .22 scope it works great for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ive used a red ryder bb gun, it stuns them or knocks them out and then you can move in for the decapitation

Modern Red Ryders don't seem to have the same velocity of the older ones.  Even guns from the 70s-80s didn't seem as powerful as the ones from the 60s.  My Dad's Red Ryder would easily dispatch a rabbit.  Mine would simply annoy a rabbit.  

Gamo PBA pellets live up to their claims.  Get some and try them out, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Poison is the only thing I've ever had any luck using against rodents.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
There's always the natural predator option
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Why aren't there guided night rodent hunts? That looks so fun I'd pay for it!
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why aren't there guided night rodent hunts? That looks so fun I'd pay for it!

It really does doesn't it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is how big they are. That is not a mouse trap, that is a rat trap. A big rat trap.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/EE34A50C-490F-4923-8C9B-80A556AC2EE9-481-000001F52593C076_zpsc5a8c849.jpg

That's a tiny oak leaf  

In your next photo post a dollar bill for reference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS or some .22 #12 rat shot and some good earplugs

The CCI .22 shotshells are not powerful enough to cycle the action of an AR7, but at a range of about 8 feet, the pattern spreads to a hair larger than a mouse.  One shot, one dead mouse.

A KelTec P3AT, loaded with Remington .380 Golden Saber loads is also an effective one shot kill on mice, but I wouldn't recommend it for use in an area where the neighbors might ask why you were shooting a really loud gun in your garage.  Hearing protection is definitely recommended.  One shot, one dead mouse (my ears were ringing for a while).

Not sure I'd recommend 9mm, though.  The squirrel got out of the garage, before I could draw and aim, so the first shot was at roughly 10 yards, and squirrels are quick.  Three shots, no dead squirrel.   I told my daughter that I would have to try 00Buck in the 12 gauge, if I get another chance at the squirrel.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/EE34A50C-490F-4923-8C9B-80A556AC2EE9-481-000001F52593C076_zpsc5a8c849.jpg

That's a tiny oak leaf  

In your next photo post a dollar bill for reference.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#49]
3 kills with the Pumpmaster 760 I bought today for $40 because I needed something not a firearm.

The little one below the big one.

And two medium sized ones

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#50]
nice....we dont many rats around where I live, mice on the other hand in everything..
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top