Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2002 4:09:39 PM EDT
I am looking for another Mtn Bike after having a Specialized Rockhopper (older one chrome-moly and no suspension)for nearly 7 years. I have tested Trek 4300, 4500, and 4900. I have also tried Gary Fisher Marlin and Tassajara. I am leaning towards the standard GF Marlin ($430) as I felt more comfortable on the frame. My question is: Are disc brakes worth the extra $150? It will see most of its use in the rainy PNW and I know all about wet brakes and reduced stopping power. I would also appreciate any advice on the bikes described thus far. Thanks, Karl
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:08:53 AM EDT
What? No one with an opinion on this topic? Karl
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:12:22 AM EDT
I would vote for the disk brakes. Like a lot of new ideas, they'll only get cheaper as time goes on. As you mention, they work great in wet areas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 10:19:47 AM EDT
hey Krazy Karl, I have been an avid MTB'er for more than ten years now and have ridden quite a few different types of bikes over the years with all manner of different components. I will say with certainty that you will not regret it if you choose a full suspension frame, they track better through the corners (rough or smooth terrain) and are far more comfortable than any hardtail on epic rides and of course they are a virtual necessity for any type of "freeride/downhill" type of riding. As for brake you cannot go wrong with hydraulic disc brakes (hayes espicially) they are far more precise with their ability to modulate the feel and stopping power. Be sure you do all your business with the local bike shop for their hands-on expertise. BTW, I have ridden a Jamis Dakar full susp/XTR/Hayes Hyd for 5 years now and absolutely love it. As a second choice the Specialized S-Works for 2003 looks like it may be the next best thing in F/S design. You can find me at the following MTB web site forum under the name "crazy Jim"... [url]http://www.dorba.org/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=DORBA+-+General&number=1&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=[/url]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 10:51:28 AM EDT
depends on what type of trail and how you ride. Around town save your money.Off road depends on the maker of the brakes. Most cable disc brakes NO,Hydraulic most yes
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 11:10:19 AM EDT
I really don't see myself needing a FS bike as it will be mainly a commuter and might do some single track twice a month. I am 6'1 220 pounds and I am looking for something less than $500 that will hold up better than my old rockhopper did (bad wheels). The Gary fisher was very appealing to me as I didn't feel so cramped up on the frame. Are the mechanical disc brakes superior over the more conventional pull type even when constantly wet? Karl
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:06:31 PM EDT
As much as I love my disc brake bikes, if you are going to be using the bike mostly for commuting, its hard to jusify the extra money for discs. Take the extra money that you would have spent on disc brakes and buy a little nicer bike (like a fisher big sur, or trek 6700). Commuting doesn't offer the need for disc brakes. If you were going to be riding singletrack all the time, than I would go with them, but if you are using the bike mostly for commuting, I would pass on them. As for the bikes, Trek and Fisher are good brands. They have good warrantys and live up to them. We've never had a problem at the shop getting anything warrantied through them. You get a good bike for a good price with both of em. I have a couple Treks and have no complaints with them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:45:03 PM EDT
If, as you said, you are not off road very much discs could be over kill, (for the money.) But, being in the Pacific Northwest(where I hear it's always wet and rainey); (what do I know, I'm in Conn.) Discs are hard to beat, especially in the wet, no more sounds of dirt and sand grinding away at your rims. Alot of bikes are starting to come from the factory with disc compatable hubs, even with V brakes. These can be converted to cable actuated discs easily for as little as $60. There are several sellers on Ebay that sell mechanical Grimeca 9's for $25 each, new. You would use your existing brake levers with these, but you have to have disc capable hubs. This set up would be great for your type of riding. Discs(hydraulic) are the absolute best and you would never go back to a rim brake after having discs. Full suspension is also the best for off roading but could be "bouncy" with alot of road riding. A Cheap suspension seatpost, (like from Nashbar for $29) will take alot of the harshness out of your ride. You may find that the newer aluminum frames ride stiffer, and are less forgiving than your CrMo frame. Depending how you feel about buying from your local shop(do you need the support and service they provide?) buy an issue of Mountain Bike Action Magazine and check out some of the mail order deals in them. Now is the time for best deals. The new 2003 models are arriving on the shops floors and last years models are being marked down.
Top Top