Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2002 12:24:46 PM EDT
I was driving to have lunch with my son at his school today, and noticed how few the flags, t-shirts, and bumper stickers were.

What is wrong here?  Today is 9/11/02.  Why are we less enthusiastic now then we were 11 months ago?

Are we falling back into the "comfort zone" that we were in before Twin Towers?

It was refreshing to see over half of the kids at his elementary school wearing pins, and t-shirts with flags, etc.

Thank God that there is hope for our children.

A teacher at a local school tried to boycott the assembly for the students taking place at the school where she teaches.  She also claimed that she would not take her class to the assembly because she thought "God Bless America" was offensive or might be to some of the students.

Is this where we are heading?  Is "political correctness" THAT valuable?  What happened to "one Nation under God?"

I am not one to shove religion down anothers throat, but this IS what we were founded upon.  Where have all the "Americans" gone?

Mark
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no need to revive that which cannot die.  The Fires of Liberty burn brightly in our hearts and minds.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
defeat liberalism in all it's evil forms.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
defeat liberalism in all it's evil forms.
View Quote

Exactly!

Let's face it: It took the wholesale slaughter of 3,000 Americans to wake this country up. It took the Liberals about six months to knock all that patriotism back down. Pathetic.

For the record, however, a local school lined the major avenue in my neighborhood with HUNDREDS of U.S. flags yesterday and last night. It was a beautiful drive this morning, and made me feel good that at least one school gets it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Satcong and I (we are the same person) flew our flag proudly on the truck on the way to and from work and we are wearing a 9-11 t shirt with old glory right on the front...we dont give a shit about the smirks on the faces of the hippies, liberals...

I saw other patriots flagwaving today also.

One guy put a sign up on the 101 exit and the I-10 exit with a flag...

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Revive Patriotism?

Start with the young.

The TV is the "Boob" tube. The less of it watched the better. Or simply get rid of it.

Hold the NEA accountable for the education of American Youths.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My daughter's school started out the morning around the flagpole. They said a prayer and the Pledge. They were told to wear red,white, and blue. I also let her borrow my little American flag that I wear on my NRA hat everyday.I would have let her borrow the other pin that has "We the people", the founding fathers, and two crossed pistols, but I thought that might be pushing it for a second grader.

As far as patriotism for the country as a whole? Start passing out $$$$$$$$. It seems that everything's for $ale.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, I must have seen 10,000 flags today! That's not even counting hats and clothes. Here's one:  Fort McHenry, flag at half staff, pic taken 9/11/02  11:00AM  (this morning)

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/gus%2FFtMcHenry%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe AZ is a little too liberal, or just lazy/laid back.  I don't know.  But it really disgusted me when I heard of this teacher and her little tantrums.  She was going to go to her union rep to see if she could grieve the Principal for making her class attend the assembly.  The union rep basically told her to quit her crying and suck it up.  This story is far from over, as details are still on-going, and I will keep you guys posted as changes occur, but damn, is this where we are headed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, when I have kids one day, the teachers will never want my kid in their class!  Any PC garbage that comes up will be completely and swiftly shoved back down their throats.  Either that or I'll drug them, box them up and ship them to Haiti to have a real out of America experience that will leave them mumbling God Bless America in their sleep.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
ps.  might be intersting for other "liberal" areas and states to chime in.  curious about CA, and NV.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The nanny state has seriously eroded the substance of patriotism.

The trappings were briefly alive and strong, as even those who wouldn't know freedom if it stared them in the face flew flags and wore red, white, and blue.

I hope it is not too late for genuine patriotism to return to the Home of the Free, the Land of the Brave!

[usa]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
This is going to hurt a bit, but it is the truth.

Another 3000 Americans will have to die in another terrorist attack on our shores.

It will take an additional 30,000 deaths here at home, before the country will develop the resolve to rid the world of Islam.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Relatively new to the board.  Wondering if you can help me out here as I'm confused.

Define patriotism?  From what I've read so far, it would appear that being a patriot is someone who waves the flag, rids the world of Islam and isn't a liberal.

Help me understand what a liberal is too cause I think I'm partly liberal and in fact probably lean more that way then conservative.

I work in Social Services.  I came from a family that lived and breathed the good samaritan.  I was raised to believe I have an obligation to my neighbors.  It's in my blood, I can't help it.  I've done it for almost 20 years.  I believe in spending money on schools and social programs.  I guess that makes me liberal.

But wait a minute.  I've now owned any number of guns including 3 AR-15s.  I love to shoot them.  I can talk military history and keep up with just about anyone on the subject. I'm very much for keeping the military strong, and consider the vets of this country my heros.  I believe in enforcing the laws and supporting the police etc.  Doesn't that make me a conservative & a patriot?

I stand by the Constitution and what it stands for including freedom of religion. I get teary these days when I hear God bless America, or the Star Spangled Banner. Guess that makes me conservative and a patriot?

But I don't believe destroying Islam is the thing to do as there are fanatics in any type of faith.  Does that makes me liberal again.

I guess that means I can't be typecast any more then most folks, and to categorize what patriotism is based on flags and political leanings seems a bit fanatical in itself doesn't it?

My patriotism isn't something I need to wave in someone's face.  Its how I raise my kids, it's the kind of person I am to those around me, it's the type of husband I am, and it's my willingness to accept the ideas of others without categorizing them or demanding they think the same as me.

The second we mandate that patriotism has to fit only the criteria of a select group of people, we become no better then the people who made the 9/11 attacks.  

The price of our liberty and freedom is knowing that we are free to live our lives unconfined by the mandates of a few.  It also means needing to accept and understand that others may not do it exactly like us.

Sorry for the ramble, and that I will probably rub some folks the wrong way.  Trust that my intentions were good ones in writing this reply.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw countless flag/red white &blue shirts in school today. Even a prayer on the loudsepeaker read by the principal (in a public school, BTW).
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I mentioned my view if America's "false" patriotism a while back.
After the 9/11 attacks last year, America gained some citizens who found true patriotism for the U.S. and those who were already patriotic became more patriotic.
However, there is a large number of people who treat patriotism as a "fad" or what's in or what's "hip". You may of noticed some of your own neigbors who never had anything red, white and blue at their home and all of a sudden they have a dozen U.S. flags and banners hanging all around their homes, not because they became patriotic, but because they wanted to show the next neighbor that they can "look" and "act" like they care about the U.S. and the freedoms that the U.S. flag represents.
So you have true patriots and then you have sheeple that act patriotic because the next sheep does.
So until these liberals actually learn and believe in all the freedoms of this country, their cute little "United We Stand" and "God Bless America" bumper stickers on their cars doesn't mean that they are true American patriots, it just means that they had an extra $2 to spend on a sticker.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Well said Guppy223
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I regret more Americans may need to die for the PC crowd to slightly understand.  I sometimes hope the next attack is in Los Angeles where so many of these morons live.

What I REALLY want is NO MORE attacks on America but that is not likely to be the way it turns out.

There is too little anger and too much memorializing.  Too little display of the blood and guts horror of what the vermin did.  Too few teachers knocked on their ass for being traitors!
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Patriotism is the last refuge of thieves and scoundrels-Ben Franklin, or Samuel Johnson

I know it is out of context, but I believe that one should not have allegiance to a nation, but to a set of ideals.

[:k]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Patriotism is the last refuge of thieves and scoundrels-Ben Franklin
View Quote

Samuel Johnson said that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I would ask that none of you take this as a flame, I have a sister-in-law that is a teacher and went to college with a few friends that are/will be teachers.  They have an important job.

Okay now on with the rant....

Why do some teachers think it is their duty to determine what is "appropriate" for students?  After all, they really do not have any special education or knowlege.  They have a college degree.  Big f'ing deal, I have one too.  That means nothing.  They learned some skills that have been deemed necessary to educate kids in school.  All of the teachers I have known on a personal level are just normal people.  They are not great professors of wisdom, morality, or anything of the like.  They have a degree in education.  None of the people I went to college with that studied education are especially "smart."  I'll be damned if they will ever teach my kids (that I don't have yet) what is right, wrong, or otherwise.

Okay, done with my little ranting episode.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top