Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2002 9:42:10 AM EDT
I got a new saiga non-pistol grip rifle in 7.62X39 and it looks like it will accept hi-caps. I don't have access to a dealer or anyone who has one to try so before I order one I want to be sure it fits. Anybody know?
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 9:51:45 AM EDT
Yes, it will fit, sorta, but it wont work as is. To make it lock in place, you have to file a little off the magazine catch and to make it work you must make a feed ramp between the barrel and the magazine with a length of pipe. You should check into US part count requirements for this, as I believe you will need some US parts in order to configure the Saiga as a high-cap rifle. Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:31:55 AM EDT
[b]Kharn[/b] is correct. The lack of any "evil black rifle" parts prevents it from being classified as an assault rifle. However, add one "evil" component like a hi-cap mag, and you'll need to add other US-made parts to keep it legal. Fortunately, it's not particularly expensive to add the parts. Saigas are reliable, accurate rifles (albeit somewhat ugly in the sporter configuration) — IMHO, unbeatable for the price. I love mine, and have decided to keep it in the stock configuration — makes an excellent truck gun. [URL=http://www.cdnninvestments.com]CDNN Investments[/URL] currently has the 7.62 x 39 version for $159.99 (not shown on their web site, but in their downloadable catalog). Extra mags are about $15.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:51:41 PM EDT
on MY saiga i had to do NO filing on the mag or anything to make the mag fit in, ive heard of this but never seen it on any saiga. you can add a feed ramp, which IMO is a pain OR weld up the front portion of the AK mag and that works just fine, i used JB weld, of course this welded mag wont work in a regular AK because it has the feed ramp. try it MY way first (nothing to lose) before going to the more difficult and permanent ways
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 12:09:08 AM EDT
go to www.ak-47.net into the forums and the build it yourself board. Search around and there are a couple posts with pictures of the "feedramp" mod. Looks dirt simple, they use a section of pipe, drilled/taped and screwed into the receiver right under the chamber opening. I don't see why if you're going to use JB weld you could just fashion a feed ramp outta that instead of putting it on the mag. All Hesse and a couple others do when converting Siagas is to build up a blob of weld right there... To be legal you need to add us parts which involves converting it to standard pistol grip configuration. Not as hard as you might think, check that out at '47.net as well...
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 2:38:12 PM EDT
You can check-out the AK forum on this site as well for the low down on the conversion.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:52:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2002 5:54:59 AM EDT by MRW]
Top Top