BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Post from garandman -
We USE AND ABUSE Saddam to kill some Iraqis, then we TURN ON HIM. Surprise!!!!! He hates America.
View Quote

'Abuse' Saddam? Really? When did we abuse him?

'Turn on him'? Really? When did we turn on him?

What we did was simply not deal as closely with him as we had before. We got what we wanted from him, he got what he wanted from us!

End of story.

Then, after several years, he decides that he wants to invade Kuwait.

THINGS CHANGE, [b]garandman[/b]!
We USE AND ABUSE Usama to kill some Soviets, then we TURN ON HIM. SURPRISE!!!!!!! He hates America.
View Quote

'Abuse' Osama? Really? When did we abuse Osama?

'Turn on him'? Really? When did we turn on him?

After the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan, we simply let the Afghanis go about their business. As a matter of fact, the faction that Osama supported came into control of the country.

Then, because the United States, and not his Al Qaeda organization and other Arabs, came to the rescue of Kuwait, Osama turned on his former allies, and the Khobar Towers bombing, the Embassy Bombings in Africa, the USS Cole attack, and finally, Sept 11th, were the result of his dagger in the back of America.

THINGS CHANGE, [b]garandman[/b]!

And these two fellows who were happy as hell to take weapons, advice, and other assistance from the Great Satan, suddenly showed their true nature.

End of story.

Eric The(Well,NotQuiteYet)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We, the US [b]enabled[/b] Saddam and Osama in their own, individual goals.
View Quote

That's an amzingly myopic way of looking at the world. EVERYONE KNOWS that we were using the Mujahadeen in our Cold War against the Soviet Union.

EVERYONE KNOWS were were using the Iraqis against the greater enemy - Iran.

The operative principal of [i]realpolitik[/i] being: The Enemy of My Enemy Is My Friend.
Once [b]our[/b] goals had been met, we pulled up stakes.
Saddam and Osama perhaps felt cheated.  
That's too bad, but that's the politics of temp alliances in the real world.
View Quote

Can I assume that you'll support TERMINATING our aliance with Israel when they no longer serve a purpose for us??? No, I'm quite SURE you've said "You don't turn on your friends."

You'll rspond "Well, USama and Saddam weren't rteally our friends. We were just using them."

Yeah - and they all to well know it.

And if THAT is your position, then you must acknowledge that we armed our enemies.

Hardly justification for the murder of 3,000 civilians, is it?
View Quote

It wasn't murder - it was an act of war.

And the very reason G. Washington admonished to avoid foreign alliances.

Cuz, on a global scale, when you USE people, then turn on them, they are gonna wanna kill you.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Post from garandman -
Can I assume that you'll support TERMINATING our aliance with Israel when they no longer serve a purpose for us???
View Quote

No matter what the subject matter of a thread might be, for some reason it always comes back to your 'feelings' on Israel!

We were never friends with Saddam or Osama in the same manner as we are with Israel.

Our friendship with Israel has lasted 54 years so far, and shows no signs of abating.

Our cooperation with Saddam lasted all of 6 or 7 years, period. Our cooperation with Saddam lasted even less.

We share nothing whatsoever in common with the people whom Saddam and Osama represent.

We share a great deal with Israel.

Tough cookies, eh?
No, I'm quite SURE you've said "You don't turn on your friends."
View Quote

If no one else has said this, I'll say it!

[b]You don't turn on your friends![/b]

Saddam and Osama were never our friends, just folks on the same side of a dispute with us.

Eric The(TrueBlue)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We USE AND ABUSE Saddam to kill some Iraqis, then we TURN ON HIM. Surprise!!!!! He hates America.

We USE AND ABUSE Usama to kill some Soviets, then we TURN ON HIM. SURPRISE!!!!!!! He hates America.
View Quote

I say that's pure [b]B.S.[/b]!!!

Neither of these people wanted the American way of life!  They would've never sacrificed the risk of less 'authority' in their country for more US support.  I'd bet the resentment would've been worse.
View Quote

Its the truth. There was a mutual enemy, the Soviet Union, for the US and the Mujahadeen.

We used them, they used us. To kill Soviets. Then we backed out on the Mujahadeen, and left them high and dry.

I'd love to see someone do to you what we did to the Mujahadeen, and then see you say "AWWWWW, shucks, Wally - its no big deal. We're still friends."

Same with Saddam and Iraq. We used them to kill Iraqis, a mutual enemy. Then cut and ran.

Same is gonna happen in Afghanistan with Karzai. We'll use him to satabilize teh region. He'll use us to cement his power base.

Eventually, he'll want to cut Gipetto's strings, and we won't let him. He'll come to hate us - to kill us.

I know its unplesant to hear that a few American politicos have endangered your family with some REALLY STUPID alliances. But teh sooner you embrace the truth, teh sooner we can fix the problem.

ALL THIS is why GWashington warned against foreign entanglements. "What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive...."

Tell me something, where does the Taliban enter the picture?  What unjustices did we do to them that gave them their views to build their soceity in the form they did?
View Quote

They are impressionable mental midgets, with whom Islam has been twisted to tell them tehy will receive 77 virgins in paradise if they kill Americans. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Basically, they are useful dunces, that USama has enlisted as his foot soldiers.

Usama is Western educated. You think he CHOSE the taliban?? No, they were the only army he could raise.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And for the record, do not count me among the "Hate America" crowd. Ronald Reagan happens to be my favorite President. God, I hate this thread. [:(]
View Quote

Well, you better duck out NOW big bear, cuz they ALWAYS resort to that tactic, when their paper thin logic has holes poked in it.

Yes, this thread DOES suck. Truth can be painful. But error will ALWAYS be MORE painful, in teh long run.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Post from garandman -
Can I assume that you'll support TERMINATING our aliance with Israel when they no longer serve a purpose for us???
View Quote

No matter what the subject matter of a thread might be, for some reason it always comes back to your 'feelings' on Israel!
View Quote

NO, that was merely an illustration.

We were never friends with Saddam or Osama in the same manner as we are with Israel.
View Quote

Oh, so you DO TURN on your "sorta friends."

We were friends with them enuf to arm them to the teeth.

[b]You don't turn on your friends![/b]

Saddam and Osama were never our friends, just folks on the same side of a dispute with us.

Eric The(TrueBlue)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Then why are we arming people who aren't our friends?????

They are either friends or they are enemies. YOU ADMIT they weren't our friends. SO they WERE our enemies.

And we armed them. And now they are killing us.

Its why GWashington said to avoid foreign entanglements.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Post from Big_Bear -
Ronald Reagan happens to be my favorite President. God, I hate this thread.
View Quote

President Reagan is my favorite of all time, as well.

The good news is that you don't have to hate this thread.

President Reagan did precisely what had to be done at precisely the right time. The Fall of the Soviet Union can and has been correctly attributed directly to him and his willingness to challenge the Evil Empire in every corner of the Globe!

Whatever was done in the 80s, you can count on it being done in America's best interests if President Reagan was behind it.

The fact that we had 8 years of the saddest and lamest President this country ever had to suffer through, destroyed the great position that the US had enjoyed under Reagan-Bush.

So, don't let any of this bother you any at all.

Eric The(Reaganite)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Post from garandman -
NO, that was merely an illustration.
View Quote

[sarcasm/on] Yeah, right! [sarcasm/off]
Oh, so you DO TURN on your "sorta friends."
View Quote

??? What's a 'sorta' friend????
We were friends with them enuf to arm them to the teeth.
View Quote

First, they were hardly 'armed to the teeth' by us, now were they?

And second, you don't have to be a friend to assist someone against a common enemy - witness that great anti-communist Winston Churchill's alliance with that communist bastid Stalin during the fight against Hitler!

I would hardly call Winston and Uncle Joe 'friends'!
Then why are we arming people who aren't our friends?????
View Quote

Because it behooves us to do so.
They are either friends or they are enemies.
View Quote

Nonsense, it is not an either/or situation.

Is France our enemy or our friend? [:D]

Eric The(LetMeKnow!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And second, you don't have to be a friend to assist someone against a common enemy - witness that great anti-communist Winston Churchill's alliance with that communist bastid Stalin during the fight against Hitler!

[>]:)]
View Quote

Eric -

You may want to STAY OUT of the illustration business, cuz this one REALLY MAKES MY POINT FOR ME.

What the Churchill / Stalin (also FDR, whom apaprently you forgot) alliance did -

1. Created the USSR, with which we almost came to nuclear blows.

2. Which created the need to create an alliance with the Mujahadeen, to fight the Soviet Union.

3. Which when we were done with the Mujahadeen, we TOSSED THEM, thereby enraging Usama bin Laden, who torched our WTC's and Pentagon.

(All of this is widely documented, known and accepted fact)

Yeah, that one worked out REAL well for us. [rolleyes]

THIS IS WHY GWASHINGTON WARNED AGAINS FOREIGN ALLIANCES.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep, everyone knew it, [i]including them[/i].  So what's their beef?  
View Quote

I look forward to the day someone makes an alliance with you, then turns on you, to MAKE SURE you cut them as much slack.

Your view above doen't cut it in the real world.

originally by raf
originally by garandman:
And the very reason G. Washington admonished to avoid foreign alliances.
View Quote

Really?  He sure had NO problems accepting an Alliance with the French, did he?

You're really off your game today, Garandman. [:D]

View Quote

Washingtons first term as president began in 1789 - AFTER the alliance with the French in the War for Independence had been created.

He was just a general in the army, at the time. He had no say in the matter.

And you say I'm off my game.  Yikes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what should we do?  Give the US back to the Brits because Washington allied with the French to help win the Revolution? [rolleyes]
View Quote

Bonehead questions like this don't merit an answer.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what should we do?  Give the US back to the Brits because Washington allied with the French to help win the Revolution? [rolleyes]
View Quote

Bonehead questions like this don't merit an answer.

View Quote

OK.  I take it, then, that you concede all your previous points refuted? [:D]
View Quote

No.

More like, bonehead questions come from people who make bonehead arguments.

[;)]

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same with Saddam and Iraq. We used them to kill Iraqis, a mutual enemy. Then cut and ran.

View Quote

Remember how after the UN/Iraq conflict that the Kurds were urged to rebel against Saddam by the bush sr. admin with hints of military aid? The Kurds that did go on offensives were decimated by the Iraqis and learned that bush sr gave them empty assurances.

That is a fine way to make friends.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember how after the UN/Iraq conflict that the Kurds were urged to rebel against Saddam by the bush sr. admin with hints of military aid? The Kurds that did go on offensives were decimated by the Iraqis and learned that bush sr gave them empty assurances.

That is a fine way to make friends.

View Quote

Same with the Hungarian Freedom Fighters in the 1950's.

We promised them arms and aid.

We shipped them containers of milk.

I tremble for my nation when I consider that God is a JUST God.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The same people who fault us for not aiding the Kurds/wiping out the Saddam regime also advise against foreign entanglements/alliances, what have you.

So which is it?  Should we leave the Kurds to the tender mercies of Saddam, or get "entangled' again?  Can't have it both ways.    
View Quote

This is a disingenuous question. We're not trying to have it both ways.

The fundamental principle is NO foreign entanglements.

But if you violate that principle, have the integrity to live up to your words and promises of aid.

Preferrably, you don't violate the fundamental principle. If we hadn't  in the case of the Kurds, THERE WOULD BE NO OPPORTUNITY violate our word re: the promises of aid we made them.

Questions like this, IMO, are INTENDED to muddy the waters, and to APPEAR to win the argument, cuz you already knew the answer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The same people who fault us for not aiding the Kurds/wiping out the Saddam regime also advise against foreign entanglements/alliances, what have you.

So which is it?  Should we leave the Kurds to the tender mercies of Saddam, or get "entangled' again?  Can't have it both ways.    
View Quote

Plain and simple: bush sr. should have kept his mouth shut.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Kevin -

History doesn't bear you assertion out about foreign entanglements being necessary. Quite the opposite is true.

From 1776 to 1900, a mere 125 years, the US became the world MOST proserous nation. This was a time period in which we essentially followed GWashington's advice of "avoid[ing] foreign entanglements." (And don't call this isolationism - it isn't. Washington allowed for treaties - just NOT getting embroiled into micro managing other nations)

Converesely, from the 1920's to the present, the US has become more and more involved in EVERYONE elses affairs. And a pretty strong case can be made that its drained Americas resources, and prosperity - NOT TO MENTION soveriegnty to bodies like the UN.

IMAGINE what all he $$$ we send all over the globe to bolster up banana republics and mini dictators would do if kept at home.

We'd be invincible.

Foreign entaglements mean choosing sides. CHoosing one side REQUIRES alienating the other side. Alienating one side means often making an enemy of that one side.

For this reason,  foreign entanglements invariably lead to war.  Just compare the # of foreign wars we fought in in the period of 1776 to 1900, compared to 1920 to the present.

Foreign entanglements ONLY serve to drag us down.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So quit stalling, and answer the question above.  Which will it be?  Massive Kurdish deaths, or entanglement?
View Quote

That's an easy one.

NO ENTANGLEMENTS.

The Kurds can do whatever they want WITHOUT false promises from us.

If that results in massive deaths, then that was the Kurds choice.

We are NOT the worlds policeman.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So what you are saying is:

We (the new-born US) should have adhered to "fundamental principles" (as you put it), and refused the entangling French Alliance which allowed us to win the Revolution.  Is that right?
View Quote

You can't compare the Kurds vs. Saddam to the USA vs. Britain. Accepting aid from others is a far cry from giving aid to others.

"Foreign entanglements" DOES NOT INCLUDE a struggle for your survival. Then you do whatever you've gotta do. "Foreign entanglements" is defined as meddling in others internal, civil affairs, ESPECIALLY when theres no need to. CLEARLY alliance with France is not what Washington was LOUDLY against re: "foreign entanglements.

In essence, GWashington's policy is very Machiavellian. Take from everyone when it aids your cause, give to no one. Ruthless Americanism.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
 Communism would've thrived if we would've taken an isolationist stance. Isolationism wouldn't have helped us economically nor would it have helped us preserve our defensive capabilities.
View Quote

Typical. Yer trying to paint this as "isolationism."  It ain't.

And you clearly don't understand 20th Century history.

The ONLY reason communism survived as long as it did was because of the USA. Hint: think  Stalin's Five Year Plans. Think detente. The whole premise of "Animal Farm" was the American infatuation with Communism during teh first half of the 20th century. "Foreign entanglements" allowed  Soviet Communism to survive, and not collapse under its own weight YEARS earlier.

And AGAIN, it was during the period 1776 - 1900, during a period when we followed GW's policy, that America becasme THE most propserous nation on earth.

Yer all wet here, dude.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Because Saddam would love to see all of us with a memorial web site like this:

[url]http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memorial/lists/by-name/index.html[/url]

So what if we screwed up by helping him in the past.  The logic that we are now prevented from dealing with him because we helped him in the past is ridiculous.  They are separate issues used by the media and liberal appeasers to confuse the sheeple.  Don't be distracted by the pretty lights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#38]
At this point in time I am not very interested in the mistakes America has made.  I KNOW I don't give a RAT'S ASS why the vermin responsible for 9/11 did it!  I am not concerned what things Israel may have done to the "Palestinian" murderers.

What I DO know is that we have been attacked and war declared against us by moslem maggots, that Iraq is likely involved (or wishes he was) and that another country with many American citizens (Israel) is under near constant attack by the same creeps that cheered the day this war started.

I further know that certain apologists for these VERMIN reside on this board and advocate policies that resulted in 9/11 and other lesser atrocities.  

Time to choose sides.  You are either pro American and LOYAL or you are the enemy.  Fish or cut bait.  No waffling.  Past errors of judgement may be forgiven but this is a WAR of survival between US and "them".  It can be fought in America with OUR civilians being murdered or it can be fought in countries like Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Somalia and others.  We get to choose - our civilians die or we try to subdue those who would kill them with as little loss of life among their civilians as we can manage while achieving our goal of totally subduing these maniacs.

This is a fucking war!!  We did not start it,  we are not reponsible for those who did.  It is evil, like all wars.  People are going to die.  Us or them.  We did the right thing in Aug 1945 and need to do it again.  Same tools, same resolve, similar result.

Which side are you on, Garandnan?  You want to fight in S. Carolina or Iraq?  The choice to fight is not ours to make.  Where, is.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, Garandman, I am waiting for a direct answer!  WHICH side are you on?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top