Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2002 6:13:21 PM EDT
AWOL Soldier Found Living In Underground Bunker

The Associated Press

September 5, 2002

ABERDEEN, WA -- A soldier, absent without leave from the Army's 82nd Airborne Division, has apparently lived three months in an elaborate underground bunker he dug on city property in Aberdeen.

25-year-old Mikhail Sharov is scheduled for sentencing this afternoon on a city trespassing charge.

Police discovered the bunker after receiving a tip from a bike rider who noticed a pipe protruding from the ground. He heard banging noises and suspected he had stumbled across a meth lab.

The bunker, dug into the side of a hill, contained stacks of books on how to disarm or kill an adversary, and how to build guns and rocket-propelled grenades. There were manuals about rifles and tips on how to be a sniper. There was a bulletproof vest, night goggles, a palm pilot, cellphone, laptop computer and lots of ammunition -- but no guns or illegal weapons.

There were maps detailing locations of natural gas pipelines and electrical generation and transmission facilities in the Northwest, plus information about water-management techniques.

"It's all very concerning, but it is not unlawful to possess all this stuff, " said Aberdeen Police Captain John Green.

Agents from the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms interviewed Sharov in jail Tuesday and searched the bunker, but Green says neither agency indicated any charges would be filed.

Sharov, arrested in his bunker last week for trespassing, has pleaded guilty in Municipal Court. He could be sentenced to up to 90 days in jail.

Says Green, "All he said is that he was between jobs, and that's why he built the bunker."
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#1]
So where do you think he buried his "cache"?

So how "concerning" are you?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
When are they going to learn to build the bunker farther from the road.  I remeber driving through colorado and seeing a few of the underground bunkers maked by the stove pipe comming out of the ground.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
or at least plant a shrub over the pipe to camoflage it
what I want to know is how someonw can build a bunker on city property with no one noticing for so long. is it that easy to dig it out and hide the dirt? wouldn't there be a mound of dirt outside the hole or did he truck it out of there?

Quoted:
When are they going to learn to build the bunker farther from the road.  I remeber driving through colorado and seeing a few of the underground bunkers maked by the stove pipe comming out of the ground.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
brings back memories....

late 70's early 80's my dad took me grouse hunting up in the mountains outside of Boulder.. we found several underground 'caves'  all kinds of labaratory equipment, books on chemistry and what not laying around like stuff was 'abandoned'...

I guess they were trying to devolope a new ultra-high mpg fuel for cars?? [}:)]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AWOL Soldier Found Living In Underground Bunker

The Associated Press

September 5, 2002

...25-year-old Mikhail Sharov....
View Quote

Who the hell's army was he AWOL from, the Russian's???

Sorry, just Mikhail Sharov isn't my idea of a good ol' American name..[;)]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#6]
USA will probably just give him a general discharge.  So easy to get out of your contract nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
This shit-for-brains was in the Army & he needs books on "how to be a sniper"? Thank gawd I was a Marine, where every Marine IS a sniper, thankyouverymuch!  >gg<
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
He sounds very intelligent, in a Unabomber kind of way.

[b]He clearly "is very intelligent and very capable,'' said Detective Jon Hudson. Born in Russia, Sharov moved to the United States with his parents when he was 14 and graduated from high school at 16 in Virginia.

By 18, he had earned a computer science degree and a minor in chemistry from Radford University in Virginia. He worked for a small computer company, then was with Microsoft for a couple of years before joining the Army, the newspaper said.

His parents live near Baltimore and work as research biologists at the Institute on Aging at Johns Hopkins University.

Police aren't sure why Sharov chose Aberdeen and he didn't offer an explanation, Green said.

Sharov reportedly told police he agreed with many of the beliefs of the Unabomber, Theodore Kaczynski. Still, he also said he didn't believe in using bombs to get his point across.[/b]

Yep, he's a Russian.

[url]www.nbc17.com/news/1651955/detail.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 4:00:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The detail utility service maps would make me a little suspect.  Sounds like he had some plans to do some damage somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#10]
well if the aliens did come to take over the planet, wouldn't you want to know how to disable the power systems to prevent them from being used by the alien invaders? sounds like he had info on a coming invasion..
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Ummm, maybe he didn't want to hit a gas line when he was digging his bunker.  Other nuts and wackos living in the city park should be so considerate.

toast
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
do any of you old timers remember that Japanese soldier who hid in the Guam jungles for damn near 30 years after the war?

if our Airborne friend had read a little about him he might have stayed in his bunker a bit longer than 3 months.

[url]http://ns.gov.gu/scrollapplet/sergeant.html[/url]

very, very interesting article.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Up here in the North West there has been alot of talk and concern about possible terrorist attacks on Natural gas pipelines,electrical power grids, and the possibility of many of the dambs in the Northwest being breached by an explosive device. There are many naural gas pipelines up here, lots of electrical power grids spread all around, and we have many dambs that produce hydro-electric power. So consequently the Northwest seems to draw some attention during alerts.

Also up here in the Northwest we have a fairly large population of extremest organizations, varying from the ELF- to muslim organizations. We have it all around here. Makes life interesting.

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So where do you think he buried his "cache"?

So how "concerning" are you?
View Quote

Yeah I like to know where the cache of Ar's are too.
Give the guy a break,he used a preposition instead of an adjective.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Give the guy a break,he used a preposition instead of an adjective.
View Quote

I meant it in the way that how "concerned" would the law and media be about what you have in your house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#17]
whats a damb?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
He DID have a palm pilot and winter IS coming on. He probably needed juice for his electrics and gas for his heat.
Perfectly normal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, so the guy's a little odd. Still, he's not as alarming as a lot of other people I know about, including a few who are running for political offices!

But you DO have to wonder what his intentions were...

Regarding dams...has it occured to you that a catastrophic failure of the largest dams in the nation (as in the Boulder and Grand Coulee) could result in the largest man-made catastrophes EVER outside of war?

I heard once that the Boulder dam was designed to withstand far more than the impact of any then-current aircraft or any on the drawing boards at the time,  and have also heard that even a 747 would just go CRUNCH and not break the dam in a direct impact,  but the events of the past years make me a bit nervous about the possibilities.

With 9/11's anniversary being just two days away, everyone I know is a little more alert and a little more observant.   And yes,  a rifle and handgun are loaded and handy here.   As always. That's routine.

Tomorrow I have the immense pleasure of going to the polls to vote for a few good people, and the far greater pleasure of voting AGAINST JANET RENO!!!!!!

CJ

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ummm, maybe he didn't want to hit a gas line when he was digging his bunker.  Other nuts and wackos living in the city park should be so considerate.

toast
View Quote

That is hilarious. Too bad he was not quick enough on his feet to tell that to the police [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top