Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2002 7:19:21 PM EDT
Anyone here install the stuff or have any experiences with auto tint they want to share?  I've got a Honda Civic 4 door I'm looking to get tinted.  The first place I've had the chance to price is looking to get $145 using Solar Gard brand auto tint or $160 for the Solar Gard Quantum premium film.  This is for tinting the 4 side windows and the back window in southern Ca.  Any advice on brands to avoid would also be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey!

(remind me when you see me again)

In general the films are better than the spray stuff.

The spays on type tends to wear off quickly (due to friction). It will become thinner and thinner until it is almost useless.

Ask my brother about the tint he has, he'll explain it better.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Aftermarket side window tinting is illegal in CA. At least it was when I got a ticket for it in 1990 or so.

I don't know what brand it was, but I had the rear window of my truck tinted a second time in 1997 with the darked color they make and it was $50 with labor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Please tell me this cars not lowered w/a huge "buzzinmuffler" on it..[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please tell me this cars not lowered w/a huge "buzzinmuffler" on it..[rolleyes]
View Quote

LOL, no I was never into doing any of that to cars.  This is the family car and I have two kids that I want to make it a little more cooler (temperaturewise) and comfortable for.  Everything will stay stock.....no annoyingly loud bass for the radio, no lowering, and anything else of that matter.

My understanding is that the back passanger windows and the back window are tintable, but the front driver windows are not supposed to be done at all.  I want a really light tint done on the front window just for the UV protection, but really dark tint on the others for comfort and privacy.....don't want anyone to see the rear seats folded down and the AR case sticking in from the trunk area!![;)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
mattja is right i think since i got a ticket there too in '94.  both driver and passenger front window tinting = fixit ticket.  i was given 45 days by the Oakland PD to remove the tint and was dutifully removing it by the 44th day or face a hefty fine.  laws may have changed now but i doubt that. its cali after all, and laws probaby got worse if anything.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#6]
To save yourself a bunch of headachs later down the road, Stick with 3M and a professional installer. Pay the money once and forget about it. I had Solar guard put on one of my trucks and it lasted about a year and had to be re-done. I have had 3M on the old ladys Expidition for 2 years and still looks new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top