Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/5/2002 5:30:10 PM EDT
Relaxed grooming standards are one thing. Deliberatly cultivating a biker gang or trailer trash look is another.

US Army "Check out my tank top..."
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020904/capt.1031173925.afghanistan_us_xws106.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
US Army again. Goldy locks could be the poster child for Mullett.com

I can practically hear the leonard skinnard music playing in the background....

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020902/capt.1030967765.afghanistan_us_xws101.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering whats up with that too, I also am wondering what kind of paint they use on their guns
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah! Why don't you just march your little fanny right up to that big surley brute and stomp your foot and tell him a thing or two about his appearance. Bare arms are so last year!

LOL Whasamatter muffin? Did the big man break your heart?

Edited to say that I was captioning the first pic, not slamming you AR15fan.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
ok which guy in that pic looks like he could
seriously stomp your ass? its a mind game.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe it's just really, really hot--you know, to the point where one wearing more clothing would be unable to function?

The assertation that some SF (or by the TOPIC you chose, ALL SF) are "Deliberatly cultivating a biker gang or trailer trash look" is just plain bullshit.

My best friend was SF--and despite being litterally born in a trailer, the term "white trash" doesn't apply to him or anyone else who wears the funny green hat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Army again..

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020901/capt.1030874856.afghanistan_us_rocket_attack_xws101.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You're not supposed to impress the enemy with your spiffy dress uniform and shiny boots [1], you're supposed to scare them into retreat and then kill them.

[1] The German Wehrmacht had the monopoly on that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020904/capt.1031173925.afghanistan_us_xws106.jpg[/img]

I believe they're commonly referred to as "wife beaters"

Seriously though, the best soldiers often look like bandits.  That dude in the photo looks like a fricking NFL linebacker.  I am of the school of I dont care what their appearance is like, as long as they kick ass and take names.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe it's just really, really hot--you know,
View Quote

You mean like in the Persian Gulf or Somalia? I managed to maintian decent grooming standard there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Here, for the fashion coinnosseur:

[img]http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~delacova/chile/pinochet-uniform.jpg[/img]

Although I'd rather have Bubba there watching my flank. [1]

[1] I won't turn my back towards either of them though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
This guy is actually a US army Major when he is not impersonating a Jersey cab driver.

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020828/capt.1030572133.afghanistan_us_xws101.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Dought these guys have lots of access to water,Barbasol or Remington 'lectric shavers...would you want Goldie Locks knocking on your door w/ that smile on his face?hehehehe NOT!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is an example of relaxed grooming standards, properly executed. They have adopted their "uniform" and appearance to match the enviroment and culture, without looking like ex-cons.

BTW, these guys are US Navy

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020905/capt.1031253312.topix_afghanistan_karzai_knd106.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
What the SF guys ask me is why they have to defend ignorant bigots like you.

[}:D]

Hey - idiot -

They have grown facial hair and are dressed in rags so they BLEND IN with the local indigenous trailer (or in this case, mud hut) trash.

[rolleyes]

In this environment, they could be clean shaven, in nice, neatly pressed BDU's, but that would make them obvious targets.

That what you want???

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#15]
at least they don't have sideways baseball caps, gold chains, and baggy pants

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Here, a fine example of proper apparel and attitude:

[img]http://www.quinnarama.com/images/fpmash1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Why must they look so trashy? To blend in with the europeans.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
You know what Ar15guy?
No, you dont.
BP
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, whats wrong with Leonard Skinnard?  I like it.  Gimme Back My Bullets!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Because they can...

Bradd
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#21]
these guys have earned hte right to groom them selves how ever they like. keep in mind, most people here never hunted terrorists in some hostile 3rd world shitfarm. also, they grow beards to help blend in to the bearded population. still would stick out, but anytihng helps i guess.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]Why must US Special Forces look like white trash?[/b]
Maybe so they dont look so much like US Special Forces at first glance to those who would [b]love[/b] to have the chance to ambush em.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This guy is actually a US army Major when he is not impersonating a Jersey cab driver.

[url]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020828/capt.1030572133.afghanistan_us_xws101.jpg[/url]
View Quote

He looks a lot like a younger Frank Zappa.

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Because, No combat ready unit could pass an inspection and no unit that could pass an inspection is ready for combat.

I guess they failed inspection...............

Who cares what you say they look like. In the words of 7 of 9, Irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#25]
hey AR15fan...what makes you say those guys are Navy. i have a primary source (in the 'Stan) that tells me they are US Army. i know everyone wants to think SEALs are the be-all, end-all of high speed, low drag spec ops types but they are just one tooth on a large cog. truth is the Army wrote the book on dynamic entry, CQB, and the use of "scumbag chic". besides, they arent pretty enough to be SEALs and the photographers vest is a Delta cultural thing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#26]
AR15fan:
I'm new to AR15.com
Not sure what you mean by "trailer trash" Please explain!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
did you ever start to think that maybe there is a little bit of a difference between a regular line unit and sf. you might have had access to grooming item that arn't to them.

hey retard were not here to make a fvcking fashion statement were here to wind a damn war.

I love how the little bastards that arn't there always have somthing to say but arn't willing to go. ohh I'm willing to go you say. then why arn't you there ?

many of the best men I know are special forces, and one of them a army special forces captain is practically like a father to me. and absolutely none of them fit under the heading of trailer trash.

these guys have earned the right to look how ever the fvck the want. get over it.

if you don't appreciate what they are doing for our country too see beyond physical appearance than you probably don't deserve to recieve the end result. but you know what they didn't ask you what you looked like, before they shipped out to some unknown land to fight for you.

did you ever give any thought to the fact that these guys might be killed any moment over there fighting for you, and all you can do is complain about how they fvcking look.

ohh yeah, all of the special forces soldiers I have ever met, are of the highest caliber mentally as well as phyisically, and I would venture to say they are probably smarter than you.

like to see you walk up to one of them and call them white trash. and you know what for that comment you can kiss my ass.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
THEODORE ROOSEVELT
(Paris Sorbonne,1910)

[soapbox] [pissed]

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hey, whats wrong with Leonard Skinnard?  I like it.  Gimme Back My Bullets!
View Quote

Ya! Or that other great song "Saturday Night Special". Nothing better than a rock and roll anti handgun song!

Oh back on topic,I hate the white trash look as much as the next guy.

But as long as they're mean, tough, and kill scumbags, I don't care.

(though really, a mullet is going a bit far. aren't really blending in with the locals that way!)
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#29]
NAVY??? What??? SEALS???
Not thinking so since I don't recall special security to guys like the new President of Afganistan going to anyone but DELTA.

I could be mistaken and no, I am not in any "circles", "loops", "boxes" or hell, even "triangles"...simply an informed opinion/observation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Ar15fag. Your the a**hole who stuck up for that boomer dork. F##k you. You dont have it. Those people do. I would kill to see you say what you said to those guys.
BP
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#31]
ps you like the navy so much reup in the damn navy and stop bitching

ohh yeah and I can arrange it for you to meet some of these guys so you can insult them in person.

wanna come down to camp mackall? they would kill you and feed you to that pissed of german shepard they keep down there :)
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#32]
IBTL  [:D]

Personal attack and (oh my!) Name calling!

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#33]
They grow their hair long and let their beards grow so that they look like real men in the face of their enemies.  Do you remember when the king of Jordan lost all his hair while battling cancer?  The women of Jordan cried in the streets because their great king had lost all of his virility.  

They grow beards because the middle eastern culture views a clean shaven, short haired guy as a young, incompetant PUSSY!  It's not just to fit in.  How many white guys with blond or red hair do you think there are in Afghanistan?  They do this so that they look like the baddest mother fuckers in the whole goddamned country, which they are.  This culture views a man without a beard as a man who does not deserve respect.  Look at those arms; would you dis that guy to his face?  I thought not.

Plus, having a beard creates a phycological advantage that goes beyond borders and culture.  When you grow a beard for the above reasons, it is as if you are putting on a mask that is something different from who you really are.  You can function in a way that you might not normally be able to if you looked and felt like yourself.  When you positively, absolutely have to kill every last mother fucker in the room, it's easier to deal with it if you can shave part of that experience off when you come home to you wife.

But you'll also notice that most of them keep their beards trimmed to the point that if they had to don a gas mask they could still retain a proper seal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here, a fine example of proper apparel and attitude:

[url]http://www.quinnarama.com/images/fpmash1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Is that M*A*S*H?

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#35]
As long as they kick a$$ they could wear pink tutu's for all I care.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#36]
AR15fan:
Not sure what you mean by "Trailer Trash" please explain!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's a quick photo of me working a secure sat uplink at NAVCAMS-MED in Naples back in '86:

[img]http://www.whitetrashworld.com/images/newgraphics/redneck.jpg[/img]

That's a Motorola URC-110 I'm sitting on there, disguised to look like a toi-toi.  We showed that fuck Qaddhafi a thing or two believe me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

[img]http://www.quinnarama.com/images/fpmash1.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Is that M*A*S*H?

Keving67
View Quote

Yup, good call. That major towards the bottom of page one reminded me of BJ Hunnicutt (all the way to the right on the picture I posted)
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I personally dont care what the SF guys Delta guys or any of our other armed forces members look like, because they are doing their job and defending our country.I would also like to say that if there is anyone who objects they can bite me because if you are going to complain about it you had better put yourself in their shoes first and get over and fight beside these men before any judgement about their looks or anything else are made.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
US Army again. Goldy locks could be the poster child for Mullett.com

I can practically hear the leonard skinnard music playing in the background....

[url]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020902/capt.1030967765.afghanistan_us_xws101.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Nah, I think you're just jealous that you don't get to shoot a SAW on a daily basis like Goldielocks there.  [;)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#41]
NEWSFLASH AR15fan

Spec-ops troops often have "modified grooming standards" The soldiers in those photographs that have facial hair and no millitary insigna are prolly DELTA. They do this to keep from being easily identified by the terror groups they fight. So, go ahead and talk shit TO THEIR FACE BE-OTCH

And may I ask you how you know those guys with NO INSIGNA are army? Did you ask them, Oh I know, your talking out your a**

I could find some photos from Nam of Marines with 3-day beards and cut off T-shirts, would you accuse them of being "trailor-trash" you phucknut?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I love how the little bastards that arn't there always have somthing to say but arn't willing to go. ohh I'm willing to go you say. then why arn't you there ?
View Quote

I'm a Marine veteran of Desert Storm (1st Tanks) and Somalia (BLT 2/9 15th MEU). I reserve the right to say anything I want about slobbish soldiers. Those of you without DD214's should stop the hero worship though.

The guy in the Photag vests are Navy. The Navy just bought those rifle, I doubt they loaned any to the Army, and the wonded sailor from the same op is carrying a Sig P226.

[img]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/images/09/05/top.sf.soldier.karzai.ap.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#43]
There was a book by CPT Phillip Donlon, an Army captain and CMH reciepient, about his experiences in Viet Nam. He said one of the primary reasons he had for going SF was he didn't have to shave in the field. I had read that book before enlisting and was saddened immensely by the "Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full, sir." attitude I encountered in Ranger Bn. There is a military axiom that has the name of the German who came up with it that says the side with the prettiest uniforms tends to lose. The side with the prettiest uniforms tends to lose because the  NCOs and officers begin to stress AR670-1 or whatever the equivalent is in their army, and they do so at the cost of training. Case in point: Ben Vallejo. SSG Ben Vallejo was my squad leader when I transitioned to the D 3/7th Indf, 24th ID. He was a worthless fuck from the get go. He couldn't lead a troop to the chow hall, but he could shine those boots, press that uniform, and lock his lips to any superior's ass with a 760 Torr seal. When we were in the field, the broke down sorry bastards like me, guys who had been at Bn, we were the ones who led and trained. He couldn't, but he knew how to get promoted. At the time I was living in a trailer with two buds. Guess I was trailer trash, right? But it beat the barracks. And, BTW, I will be happy to repeatedly kick you in the nads in time to Sweet Home Alabama if you should ever choose to insult me to my face as you have here on the boards.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There is a military axiom that has the name of the German who came up with it that says the side with the prettiest uniforms tends to lose.
View Quote

The US Marine Dress Blues are the finest  uniform ever. So that "military axiom" is BS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#45]
ar15fan,

youre ego is matched only by how wide you open your mouth to insert your foot. sorry we cant all be perfect like you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Could also be that the beards help cut down on face glare, kinda like natural face camo. [uzi]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a Marine veteran of Desert Storm (1st Tanks) and Somalia (BLT 2/9 15th MEU). I reserve the right to say anything I want about slobbish soldiers. Those of you without DD214's should stop the hero worship though.

The guy in the Photag vests are Navy. The Navy just bought those rifle, I doubt they loaned any to the Army, and the wonded sailor from the same op is carrying a Sig P226.

[url]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/images/09/05/top.sf.soldier.karzai.ap.jpg[/url]
View Quote

You really don't know sh*t about SF and it's obvious.

PS There were sloppy looking armored div. guys in the gulf.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a military axiom that has the name of the German who came up with it that says the side with the prettiest uniforms tends to lose.
View Quote

The US Marine Dress Blues are the finest  uniform ever. So that "military axiom" is BS.
View Quote

[img]http://www.info-france-usa.org/atoz/legion/unif.gif[/img]

I dont know........the Germans have a pretty good point with these guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Stupid AR15fag. I dont think the Marines ever wore those Dress Blues into battle. Nice uniform, you're right, but you totally missed the point. You are a liberal troll. F**k off.
I cant think of anything insulting enough to say.Crap!
BP
They prbably didnt let you off the boat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As long as they kick a$$ they could wear pink tutu's for all I care.
View Quote

Ha!  If they wore pink tutus, they'd HAVE to kick ass just to survive!

Scottish men can wear kilts for the same reason: Because by now everybody knows they're asskickers so they can wear what they want to even if it does resemble a skirt.

Some martial artists (male and female both) wear a black skirt-like affair called a hakama.  It's generally worn only after the person has learned to fight pretty well.  Probably the same reasoning applies.   It says "I'm good enough to bust your ass if you ridicule my dress, dude."

That big guy in that photo looks VERY intimidating.  Especially among those mostly thin and rangy Afghans.

Come to think of it, ALL of those soldiers look like they're pretty capable, regardless of the way they're dressed and groomed.  

I see the sense in their changing their dress and grooming to sort of blend in with the local culture.  It is actually quite sensible.

CJ
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top