Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2002 2:38:33 PM EDT
With the new law on the tanks, has anyone put the new valves on old tanks?  Can it be done?  Do they have to be re-certified?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two old tanks that I've thought about doing that to, but, bottom line is - it's cheaper and less hassle to just go out and buy a new one.
Here in my town True Value hardware took my old tank (even though it wasn't theirs) and exchanged it for one of their new ones for dollars 22!
I still have two old tanks that I'm just gonna convert to standby air pressure tanks...
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
For some of the larger tanks, it may still be cost-effective to convert. New OPD valves are manufactured for most of them, but it may be hard to track one down in your area. For the common 20 pounders, replacement is almost always cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]

shortly after the new law went into effect..  I traded in all 5 of my tanks for exchange at homedepot and lowes..

most of the exchange places are charging more if you have the old valve...

new full tanks, 20 pounds with new valve.. 14 bucks exchange.

I have a 150 gal. tank I will need to change out the valve yet when it gets empty.. I woner if it's the same valve as the 20's ?  

Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
[b]realist[/b], I belive that the new OPD valve is only required on 4- to 40-pound cylinders, and applies only to DOT portable propane cylinders. It does not apply to ASME tanks (which are the kind that is permanently attached to vehicles like motorhomes, propane-powered trucks, etc.). ASME tanks already have an automatic shutoff valve similar to the OPD, and thus don't require any modifications.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Home Depot around here charges $22 for an exchange on 5 gallon tanks weither you give them a tank with the old valve or a new one. Once I got two new tanks I take them to the gas station and get them refilled for $9.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget to check the dates on your tanks before you convert them. There is a 12-year expiration on them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The 12 year thing is that they have to be pressure tested before they can continue to be used. I had two 30 pounders fitted with the new valves last summer. They pressure test them again so they are good for another go around. Shop around, for me it was cheaper to go with the replacement. BTW if you use the tanks for branding or are a roofer you can still use the old valves here in New Mexico
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Skibane[/b].. thanks for the info..  I'll check that out..  [:)]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Any one know what the max pressure is for a propane tank that I want to convert to a portable air tank?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
WHAT THE FUCK? I JUST BOUGHT THREE NEW TANKS LAST YEAR. ARE THEY REALLY THAT UNSAFE? DOES THIS PISS OFF ANYBODY ELSE BESIDE ME? Caps off....Damn it! It seems like we are always getting screwed in the name of safety.

Are there some stats that support this new law? Please help. I'm pissed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any one know what the max pressure is for a propane tank that I want to convert to a portable air tank?
View Quote

Propane tanks are rated for 250 pounds.

Old 20 pound cylinders make for an interesting target to shoot at. Just make sure you make it a long range target. [peep]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WHAT THE FUCK? I JUST BOUGHT THREE NEW TANKS LAST YEAR. ARE THEY REALLY THAT UNSAFE? DOES THIS PISS OFF ANYBODY ELSE BESIDE ME? Caps off....Damn it! It seems like we are always getting screwed in the name of safety.

Are there some stats that support this new law? Please help. I'm pissed.
View Quote

I would imagine your new tanks have the new valves.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I would imagine your new tanks have the new valves.
View Quote

You are correct and I am no longer pissed.[:P]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top