Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2002 7:30:54 AM EDT
i have noticed that there are 2 types of dvd burners. there are dvd+rw and dvd-rw. what is the difference in the two? sounds like people are always in a beta and vhs war. anyhow, can some one explain the difference. I want to be able to create dvd-r because my dvd player can play those along with wma and mp3 files. thanks lojack
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:00:26 AM EDT
There are four types that I'm aware of in your interest. DVD-R burn once only. DVD+R burn once only. DVD-RW burn over many times. DVD+RW burn over many times. The DVD-RW is compatible with most DVD video players and DVD ROMs. The DVD+RW is supposed to be compatible with "all" DVD video players and DVD ROMs. There is also DVD-A (for quality audio, music) somewhat similiar to high quality SACDs but there are no comsumer burners for these as far as I know and this format doesn't fit your DVD player.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:57:06 PM EDT
dvd-r media is cheaper atleast in my area and is more for data use it will work on video also.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 3:04:48 PM EDT
There still isn't an absolute standard when it come to DVD burners. May be a few years yet till we get one. The motion picture and recording industries would have it so you couldn't own one at all. Blame them for the setback. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:23:06 PM EDT
Sony has reported that they are going to start shipping DVD-RW/+RW drives soon. [url=http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,104372,00.asp]Sony Set to Unveil Multi-Format DVD Drive[/url] They are one of the first companies to cave and put out one drive that does both. Which is good! Makes shopping easier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 4:57:35 PM EDT
DVD-R is the most compatible format. It's also one of the cheapest (you can get a Pioneer A04 for $299, an A03 for even less). But unless you had an urgent need, wait a year or two for the format wars to end.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 5:05:03 PM EDT
humm the sony one sounds cool, but i wonder what the price tag will be on that puppy. Also, what is the difference between the pioneer A04 and A03? thanks lojack
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 5:47:03 PM EDT
A04 has 'documented' burn proof, and is a newer unit (gen 1.5). The A03 has no burn proof (that according to pioneer) and is the first DVD-R Pioneer made (gen 1).
Top Top