Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you mean semi-auto rifles, probably 100,000,000+.

Semi-auto rifles have been common for almost a century.

I think that estimate may be a bit high when it is believed there are around 300 million firearms in country.

50 million would probably be more plausible.

The problem is I have been hearing the 300,000,000 estimate for over a decade.  That decade happens to span the greatest arms race in American history.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently asked how many standard capacity mags there are in America.

I was told there are roughly 87 billion mags that hold 30 rounds. Not including 20 rounders or box/drum mags.

I'd say there are probably 10 mags per "Assault Weapon"

Therefore there are 8.7 billion.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
East Texas double butt load or maybe a metric shit ton.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were to use the definition of an Assault Weapon as presented and/or leaked from Senator Feinstiens yet to be introduced bill, I would have to include every rifle with detachable magazines, flash suppressors, threaded barrels, pistol grips, folding/collapsible stocks,  all shotguns with the same features plus shotguns with the ability to hold 5 mini Agula shells and all pistols with similar features.

FBI estimates 310 million firearms in civilian ownership, of those I would guess half would fall under the newest definitions being pushed by the media and Feinstien.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that estimate may be a bit high when it is believed there are around 300 million firearms in country.

The problem is I have been hearing the 300,000,000 estimate for over a decade.  That decade happens to span the greatest arms race in American history.

Well the ATF did "export" a lot of guns to mexico.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the FBI reports that there have been more than 160,000,000 NICS checks since 1998.

So half of the guns in this country have been sold in the last 15 years? I don't buy it. I would guess that there are in the neighborhood of 500,000,000 privately owned guns in this country.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Zero. No question.

yes

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the FBI reports that there have been more than 160,000,000 NICS checks since 1998.

So half of the guns in this country have been sold in the last 15 years? I don't buy it. I would guess that there are in the neighborhood of 500,000,000 privately owned guns in this country.

A NICS check doesn't mean a new gun, though.  However, it is safe to say if the 300,000,000 was close to accurate 10 years ago, it is way off now.

Think of how many pistols, bolt guns, and shot guns have entered the system as well.  Concealed carry opening up swelled the handgun coffers mightily if I had to guess. Firearms are more common than cars, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
A better question is why do we have this same question every week? We don't know. Eleventy three.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]

A NICS check doesn't mean a new gun, though.  However, it is safe to say if the 300,000,000 was close to accurate 10 years ago, it is way off now.

Think of how many pistols, bolt guns, and shot guns have entered the system as well.  Concealed carry opening up swelled the handgun coffers mightily if I had to guess. Firearms are more common than cars, that's for sure.

Yet cars are the tool to kill many more people than firearms.  Why does the media thank guns are the problem again?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
East Texas double butt load or maybe a metric shit ton.

Is that an East Texas Steer or Queer butt load? ... Makes a difference.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Enough so that every criminal in America will have one after an AWB.

Considering most of us will become criminals. Yep. every criminal will have one and there will be more criminals. yippee

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I recently asked how many standard capacity mags there are in America.

I was told there are roughly 87 billion mags that hold 30 rounds. Not including 20 rounders or box/drum mags.

I'd say there are probably 10 mags per "Assault Weapon"

Therefore there are 8.7 billion.

that would make a sweet fort
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top