Thought you might like to know, if you haven't already heard, that the
four
major credit bureaus in the US will be allowed, starting July 1, to
release  your credit info, mailing addresses, phone numbers, etc., to
anyone
who requests  it. If you would like to 'opt out' of this release of
your
info,
you can call 1-888-567-8688. It only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Once the message starts you'll want option #2 (even though option #1
refers
to
this E-mail) and then option #3 - Be sure to listen closely, the first
option  is only for a two-year period. Make sure you wait until they
prompt
for the  third option, which opts you out forever. I received their
paperwork in
the mail confirming my 'opting out" within less than one week of making
the  call.

[8D]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It never ceases to amaze me how consumers are forced to "opt out" of things, when in all fairness, we should have to "opt in". [puke]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
This is on the up and up, and a good idea.

Click on... [url=www.transunion.com/content/page.jsp?id=/personalsolutions/general/data/OptOut.xml]TransUnion Credit Reporting Agency[/url] for more details.

Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It never ceases to amaze me how consumers are forced to "opt out" of things, when in all fairness, we should have to "opt in". [puke]
View Quote

Matt, do you get those "curb painters" that hand out flyers saying that they are painting your house number on the curb for like seven bucks, and then tell you to leave a note on the curb if you don't want it painted.  

I of course, lazy man that I am "forgot" to put out the notice.  Guy came to the door and demanded money.  I told him I didn't want it done and he started getting all agro on me.  He left pretty quickly when the dogs came to the door though. Must not have been an animal lover. [:D]

They used to pull this crap in college as well, making us "opt out" of donating to CALPIRG with our registration money.  Assholes.  Then they started protesting when the University wanted to change it to a positive check off system.  CALPIRG SUCKS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Matt, do you get those "curb painters" that hand out flyers saying that they are painting your house number on the curb for like seven bucks, and then tell you to leave a note on the curb if you don't want it painted.  

I of course, lazy man that I am "forgot" to put out the notice.  Guy came to the door and demanded money.  I told him I didn't want it done and he started getting all agro on me.  He left pretty quickly when the dogs came to the door though. Must not have been an animal lover. [:D]

They used to pull this crap in college as well, making us "opt out" of donating to CALPIRG with our registration money.  Assholes.  Then they started protesting when the University wanted to change it to a positive check off system.  CALPIRG SUCKS.
View Quote

No, the guy would always come to the door and ask if we wanted it done and if we said yes, he would do it right then. I never had them leave any kind of note. If they did, I'm sure I would become very indignant when the guy asked for payment. That's BS.

I donated $15 to CALPIRG once in 1983 when I was young and stupid and for 10 years after that they called like once a month asking for money. They never got any more from me. I don't remember us being asked to donate any of our registration fees to anything, but my college days were 1981-1986, so things might have changed.

Screw them!
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]The email has it wrong...[/b]

In addition to the uses described above, lenders and insurers may use information in your credit file as a basis for sending you unsolicited offers. This is known as "prescreening." However, you have a right to opt out of these offers. The toll-free number - 1-888-567-8688 - is the "opt-out" line for the major credit bureaus for "prescreened" offers only.

[url=http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/optout_truth.htm]More Info[/url]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Protecting your Credit Information

Thought you might like to know, if you haven't already heard, that the
four
major credit bureaus in the US will be allowed, starting July 1, to
release  your credit info, mailing addresses, phone numbers, etc., to
anyone
who requests  it. If you would like to 'opt out' of this release of
your
info,
you can call 1-888-567-8688. It only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Once the message starts you'll want option #2 (even though option #1
refers
to
this E-mail) and then option #3 - Be sure to listen closely, the first
option  is only for a two-year period. Make sure you wait until they
prompt
for the  third option, which opts you out forever. I received their
paperwork in
the mail confirming my 'opting out" within less than one week of making
the  call.

[8D]
View Quote

I did it too...got the letter w/in a week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top