Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2002 5:58:36 PM EDT
This morning my dogs had another fun incident.  I swear they are trying to kill me with stress.

Wife gets up about an hour before me.  She leaves, and dogs crawl back in bed with me.  About 9:30 I get up because Stumpy (the bigger of the two) isn't laying down cuz he's hiccuping quite a bit.  So I get up and give them treats, have breakfast, log on, read email, and notice Stumpy is still hiccuping, only worse.

I call the vet cuz Bullitt needs his heartworm shot again, and set an appointment for 12:30.  I putter around doing stuff, and Stumpy is getting more violent hiccups.  He's also walking and standing funny...not sitting at all.  Odd.  He's squating while he's standing, sorta like he's gotta go potty, but he's not going.  This is really starting to worry me now.  

I realize he's not hiccupping and he's got outright shakes going on.  He's also drooling up a storm.  Yikes.  Bullitt is looking on like Stumpy is insane, and wants a treat.  I get them both a treat, and Stumpy doesn't even respond.  Ok, definantely something wrong.

At 10:40 my "i'm a nervous dog owner, he's ok" mentality gave out and I drove them both to the vet.  Stumpy barely makes it to the car, he'll run 5 feet, stop, shake, go 5 more, repeat.  I toss them both in and off we go.  Stumpy is leaning against the door, and slobbering so much it looks like I forgot to roll my window up in a rainstorm.  Once we arrive, Stumpy isn't getting out, so I pick him up, and as soon as his butt clears the door, he lets go and pisses and poops.  Once inside the clinic, he's still going at random times and refusing to move.  Still squating, shaking so hard it's scary.  

Worse, Bullitt is starting to shake.  The nurse takes one look and asks me if they've been poisoned.  I kind of went..um...no...not that I know of....  Dogs are taken to the clinic holding room in the back, trailing little mines behind them as they go.  Yikes.  

Another nurse comes to ask me if they've eaten anything different, or if there are teenagers, or unfriendly types who might have fed the dogs anything poisonous.  No, I say.  She asks if we fertilize with anything in particular.  No again.  

I call my wife after she leaves, and this is pretty scary to me.  Both of my dogs are basically incoherent, drooling, peeing, pooping, shaking pups right now and no one knows what's wrong with them.  I relate what's going on and she gasps.  Turns out last night while I wasn't home she put snail poison around some flowers.  The bag of poison was put behind the chicken wire around one set.

Turns out Stumpy probably drug the bag over the chicken wire (he's strong) and they both chowed down.  Out of a 8# bag of stuff, they'd probably had 1/2 pound between them.

Now, 8 hours later, they are both better but still in the hospital.  Bullitt got his stomach pumped and most of it was removed before it was digested.  He has some minor shakes.  

Stumpy wasn't so lucky.  He had more of the poison and it had been in him longer.  He is still having the shakes, but is on muscle relaxers to keep him from hurting himself.  Both had charcoal and sorbitol to try and extract some of the poison from them.  The Vet was optimistic that he'll make a full recovery, but cautioned that due to the amount of drugs he has to take for this it's very likely he'll have liver damage from it.  [:(]

I'm off to see if they are going to be transferred overnight or get to come home.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad times.  I hope they are all right.  Keep us informed.

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
how sad, I hope they both make a full recovery!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry to hear that, Professor. [:(]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear about this, the poor little guys.  Give them some love from me when you see them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Prof Evil, I am so sorry to hear about your dogs.  No animal should suffer like that.  I hope for the best.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Best of luck, My Springer got into some bar type rat poison years ago. Lots of Vit K (To stop bleeding) and money later he was okay. scary stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got home from the vet and nighttime hospital.  Both boys should recover.  Stumpy is likely to have some liver damage from both the poison and from the drugs they are giving him (muscle relaxers so he doesn't tear muscles or possibly break his bones).  Bullitt is almost normal, but still having some minor shakes.  Stumpy can barely walk, and leans quite a bit to and fro when he does.  He's extremely scared.  Plus he's got charcoal poo coming out off and on (activated charcoal is an excellent abosrbent of poisons).  Nasty stuff.  
There's a night clinic here that basically is going to continue therapy for the dogs (lots of fluid from IV, drugs, some more charcoal, and an enema).  

Vet bill is going to be more than I'd like to think.  [:(]  However, I made a promise to take care of them, and I'll keep it.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope all is well with both dogs and make full recovery soon.

I too had a little emergency with one of mine few weeks ago.  Had to take him to the emergency vet hospital for a sergery but he's okay now.  The vet bill killed my FAL purchase but I'm just glad he is okay.      
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Prayers for the dogs. Keep us posted on their progress.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#11]
ProfEvil,

That really sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it.  It's really nerve racking to have a dog sick like that...I went through something similar two weeks ago.  Glad to hear they'll be alright.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#12]
some friends of the family had a similar situation -- the wife picked up a box (thinking it was dog food) poured it in the dog dish, both dogs get sick, one survives (the smarter of the 2)
the box the wife picked up was Snarol, snail poison
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
As good a news as you could hope for about your dogs.  

My wife has a Boston Terrier that has set a new standard at my house to judge dog intelligence by.  I'd hate to have that happen to our dog.

Since I have had snail problems before and have put out a bait before, I have to ask.  What was the name/brand of snail poison you put out??
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh, man.  Prayers for your little guys.  

Thank God you didn't wait any longer.  

Once they're okay, I'd consider an ass-whipping for your wife.  Call it an educational experience...  Fuck the flowers...if snails are eating them then that's TFB for them, the dogs are more important.

QS
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Good luck, I had close to the samething happen and my dog pulled through no problem after a couple of days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Hope they get better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#18]
PE,

Hope they pull through OK.

Snail death trap - saucer with beer in it. Works! No poison.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys.  

Bullitt (the littler of the two) is home this morning.  Stumpy is still at the vet.  He's back on IV cuz he's lost so much fluids, and his blood chemistry is a bit off.  Vet says he'll be home tonight, though.  

The Snail/Slug stuff was Corry's, and it works really well.  There is a non-poisonous (to dogs) brand you can get.  Beer is effective, but only for a limited area, and hey, man, that's beer!  

I had to clean up the poison yesterday.  They drug the bag about 30' across the back yard.  This is not fun, since we don't have grass anymore the bait looks kinda like dirt. [:(]  I think I got most of it, but I used a poison detector this morning to find out.  First thing Bullitt did after getting a treat and some water was trot out, go #1, then went to find some more poison.  Everywhere he sniffed I kept digging the stuff out.  So I think I've got it now.  

When we transferred Stumpy last night, he was walking crooked, shaking pretty bad (while on muscle relaxers...scary), and had some charcoal poo at random times.  This morning, he just looked like he was shivering a bit, he even licked my face, and walked pretty normal. [:)]

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I noticed a bottle of vodka at my vet's office one time.  I commented about how wild the dog-dipping and calf-cutting must get.  They said it was actually to give to dogs that have eatin poison, specifically antifreeze.  They tried to explain what it did but my eyes glazed over as I dreamed of all the mixed drinks you can make with vodka.  Anyway, wonder if that would have worked at all.  My dog is covered because I always have a bottle in the freezer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad the pooches are feeling a little better.  I know what you mean about the shakey look.  When I picked up our girls Tuesday from being spayed and having a gastroplexy they were both still really drugged.  Schatzi just stood and stared like she didn't know us and Edeli couldn't stand her hind legs up, but at least she managed a waggle.  I had to take Edeli back Wed. morning because she was still bleeding pretty badly from the stitches so we put her in a body bandage.  It's all stopped now.  Dogs are a lot of fun, aren't they.

Pet the pooches for me, glad you'll have Stumpy home tonite.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Both dogs are home now.  Stumpy's blood levels are back to normal and it doesn't look like he has liver damage. (Phew!)  Both dogs are very tired and are making small piles of charcoal in the back yard.  Stumpy is going to be very sore from all the muscle spasms he was having.  He's also more cranky than normal [:(] but very happy to see me and wants to nuzzle non-stop [:)]  

I got rid of the rest of the slug/snail bait.  Both dogs are extremely thirsty and tired.  Which is understandable.  They also promise they'll watch more movies this weekend for y'all, and woofed thanks to everyone.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn man, glad to hear both those dogs are ok!
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#24]
oh, man, poor doggies.

so glad to hear that they're recuperating well.

scary when they do things like that.

a few months ago i thought i was going to have to take my cat to the vet.  she stood up in the chair she was in and wobbled.  then her head fell back and to the side and one paw came up as if she were trying to walk.  she did manage a step and then quasi-fell.  same thing for the next couple of steps, all the while her head is lolled back like a damn drunk...and she was...on catnip.  scariest thing at the time, but funny as hell now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I hope you didn't give your wife too hard of a time.  I'll bet she felt like shit.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear they are doing okay[8D].  Dogs are the greatest.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to hear they are going to be ok!  Sounded like the worse one was having seizures, which didn't sound too good.  I watch a lot of "Animal Planet" and I can't bear to watch the animal dr's show or the pet police show because of all of the dogs injured or abused.  Atleast you know it was your wife and not someone trying to poison them.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Good about your dogs.

I saw an "emergency vets" show where someone threw a bag of antifreeze soaked dog food into the yard of a german shepherd. The dog almost died while at the hospital but pulled through. Some sick people out there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#28]
The wife was very upset.  She feels totally responsible, but it's not her fault.  I'll give her hell for it next week though! [:D]  Stumpy likes to play with stuff and is willing to take his time to get things he wants (ala the DVD last week).  

They are both resting happily, thanks for the kind thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#29]
How horrible for the dogs and you, too. Hope they have Full and prompt recovery.

Check out www.gardensalive.com for other snail control, bug control, gardening supplies. I've been a happy customer for years, no other affiliation.

Gwen in L.A.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Doctors,Dentists and Vets....I'd like to respond to a call from them about their airconditioning being out at their house or in their cars. Yeah Doc I know its hot for you and the family but you can rest assured I can fix it for ya! You got $277,573.28 ? I take Visa ,M.C. and Discover. I think I can work ya in the first of next month so make an appointment with my incompetent secretary. Have a nice day....[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top