Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2002 9:26:46 PM EDT
i went to spend a day with my dad who lives next to a protected national sea shore park. after i was there for a while his basset hound started having a fit and looking out the sliding glass door. so i went over to see what all the fuss is about and there was a red fox eating out of his dog food bowl. so i tell dad and he says the fox eats out of it every day , but that i can let the dog out which i did. so the chase was on. all 50 lbs of this basset is at top speed. " well as fast as his 3" legs will go and into the park they go. i can hear the chase which seems to stay in one area so i go to see if i can watch. as i am going down a sandy trail i hear old blue coming my way sounding the alarm loud and clear. i step to the side just as he rounds the curve and he comes by me bow wowing as loud as he can. then the fox comes by me who must have been only 5 yards behind the dog and he looks up at me and smiles as he goes by. i just can't believe the fox passed within 3 feet of me making eye contact and smiling the whole way. words can not do this story justice as to how dumb that dog looked at this point and the obvious glee on the face of the fox. so i go home and about 5 min. later the dog is at the door slobbering and well " dog tired " so i let him in , he drinks a full bowl of water and collapses in his bed breathing very hard and is done for the day. i fill the water bowl again and as i pass the door i can see the fox is once again eating his kibbles and bits!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of the old cartoon where the dog & chicken fox/coyote clock-in & commence their daily battle & then clock-out at the end of the day, each wishing the other a "good day".  >gg<
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#2]
LMAO

thats one way to keep the dawg in shape
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Im a helicopter pilot flying out of a lakeside airport.  There are several coytes or wild ass looking dogs that live on the unused porton of the field.  The dogs are "allowed" to stay because the eat the bird eggs.  Occasionlly they end up on one of the runways.  If I hear chatter about them on the radio I allways offer help.  Once I was "given" the airport to heard these dogs of the runway.  As I hovered closer one then the other noticed a 3000 lbs helicopter comming closer and closer.  At the point that the rotor blades were overlapping the coytes the female ran.  The male just looked up, by now I thinking of bumping the dog with a skid, then growled as if to say get the hell of my airport, he turned and just trotted off the runway.  I began laughing so hard the tower asked if everythink was OK because the helicopter was jinking so bad.  For what its worth the two dogs looked a health as my home-dogs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Fantastic story. i loved it. Thanks for making my day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yah. Reminds me of the time one of my dogs actually caught something it was chasing.

When I was a kid, I had a black lab, named Jack. Awesome dog, except for when he farted, and kicked me out of my bed so he could sleep in it...but black labs are wont to do that, so [:)]

Smart as they come, as far as labs go, too.

So, anyway, we had a problem with groundhogs one year...or whatever you want to call them. Badgers? Big bastards, whatever they were. Say the size of a decent cat.

So, one day, Jack sees one, and takes off after it. Woofwoofwoofwoof, the whole 9. Finally corners the thing...the groundhog is scared shitless. Dosen't know if it should shit or go blind.

Jack keeps barking, then sort of slows down...stops barking, sits. The look that came over his face was classic. It was a total "Ok, I got the damn thing....now what?" look.

He just had no clue what he was supposed to do now that he cornered and caught the thing.

After about a minute, he yawned, went back inside, and took a nap. Damndest thing I ever saw, I was laughing for days just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
My super-cute shaggy dog loves to chase and play with crickets...it is very entertaining at 3:00am to let her outside ---> just to play with a damn cricket!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 4' chain link fence with a electric "hot" wire running on the inside of the fence to keep my two rotties off the fence. They learned to keep back from the fence. For a couple of years a grey cat would sit on the fence and drive the dogs crazy. He would just sit there licking his ass until I would chase him off. One day a new girl friend left the gate open while I was at work and the male left the yard. He went down two blocks and turned a couple of time and walk right in to the open gate of anther house walk right up on the porch right up the porch swing that a 14 year old boy was sitting on petty his cat. The boy stated " The dog just reached up and grabbed whiskers and started walking back down the walk. I yelled at him to drop whiskers and he turned a round and spit him out at me and then walk out of the yard as whiskers ran up the tree."

My dog was trained to obey anybody and "drop" was one command he new very well. It save the cat's life.

Well my dog just walked home and went back in the yard the girlfriend was looking for him so she shut the gate and went to work.

The animal control called me at work and told me what happened. I called the owners of the cat and ask how it was and I would pay for any bills if it was my dog. The boy knew my dogs and yes it was and yes their vet bill after all said and done was $700.00 . I went to the vet's to pay the bill and asked to see the cat. Do you know how many friggen cats you can buy for $700.00

Whiskers was the cat that had been tormenting my dogs for years. I never saw him again in MY yard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top