Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/27/2002 6:00:59 PM EDT
Well, we're almost done here. When the army finally lets me go I'll have 30 days to spend on terminal leave, and I've decided to do something I've always wanted to do. Fish, chase loose women, Scuba, and generally bum around in the Florida Keys. Unfortunately, the only dates I can get flights and resort reservations together starts on the 11th of Sept, from Austin to Miami with one stopover. Now, I'm not worried about a terrorist attack. I more concerned about the loonies of airline security. Especially since I cannot carry a pistol legally in florida, I plan to bring a dissassembled shotgun in checked luggage, along with a whole slew of fishing rods and associated gear. These guys will probably think my rod case is a stinger missile. Heaven only knows what they'll make of the tackle box. The shotgun will probably have them birthing puppies. Any thought or suggestions? Does this seem like a bad idea to you guys?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:27:03 PM EDT
You can travel with an AR in checked luggage, so I wouldn't worry about the shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:40:55 PM EDT
I flew October 5th and several other times since with more than one firearm-AR15's included. (checked of course) And I've never had a problem. I just set it up on the "thingy", look at the dude behind the counter, raise my eyebrows just a little and say "This is a rifle case". Do this with an informative tone and you'll be fine. Unless you look like you belong to "the religion of peace" [:D]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:05:57 PM EDT
Sorry it's off-topic, but this reminds me of the time I took my HK SR9 to Chicago (early 90's). When returning through O'Hare, I declared it and was asked to demonstrate that it was unloaded. Normally this is done out-of-sight, but the airport was packed and there wasn't a discreet place to do it. So I [i]whooped it out[/i]! Made a big show of opening the bolt, showing the chamber, then letting it slam shut -- CLANK!!! The look on travelers' faces was priceless! I don't think I'll be doing that again soon. And now, back to our topic . . .
Top Top