Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2002 11:11:55 AM EDT
I havent seen any literature on the vulnerablilites of heavy equipment in a combat situation. It would seem likely that a person may come up against front end loaders, artuculated dumps, bull dozers, and the like.

Despite an interest in such equipment over the years, I can't say I've ever thought much about it from a tactical perspective.

Is there any information out there or people familiar enough with the designs to elaborate on the weaknesses?

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The key is to damage or destroy them when parked
View Quote

[b]Thermite[/b]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I havent seen any literature on the vulnerablilites of heavy equipment in a combat situation. It would seem likely that a person may come up against front end loaders, artuculated dumps, bull dozers, and the like.

Despite an interest in such equipment over the years, I can't say I've ever thought much about it from a tactical perspective.

Is there any information out there or people familiar enough with the designs to elaborate on the weaknesses?

View Quote

You're kidding right???

LOL....

Please give me a semi-plausable senerio where you would need to take out a bull doser?? Come on now, please people!

If you think someone is going to bull dose your home to get all the 20 year old MREs you've hoared, get real!

The S will never HTF like you all fantasize!!

If you REALLY want to get ready for some "SHTF bug out senerio", buy a treadmill!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I would try sugar & sand in the fuel tank, or shooting the guy driving it in the face. Of course it depends on how fast I want the thing out of commission on what option I take.

A flame thrower is another idea for you MacGyvers out there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed!  For me, S Hiting The F, means a scenario where my lifestyle and/or method of support is being endangered.  The most likely source of this would be a terrible hurricane strike, or a severe ice storm.  

Heavy equipment?  Bring it over!  I'd have some trees that need removing!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Damage the hydraulics. They are liquid cooled, damage the cooling systems. They are big and scary but they are not armored by any means. AP ammo will penetrate the engine. Molotav cocktails. Use your imagination. In such an unlikely scenario don't expect to see anything as vulnerable as commercial heavy equipment until any possible hostiles are eliminated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Think Tactical assault tractor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can tolerate the religious slant, "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse" [ISBN: 1-56384-155-X] has an interesting take on this subject.

Just my two cents: If a piece of heavy equipment is bearing down on you, flee![thinking]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone has been watching the movie "The Fighting Seabees" . . . .

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol. Your not from Palestine are you?

My answer would be to keep your relatives from becoming suicidal.

Momma's don't let your babies grow up to be suicide bombers... or rat finks who make up stories under torture and get you killed...

Kidding,,,

Are you imagining a WACO or Ruby Ridge scenario?

Would anything less than a fifty do any good? Would a fifty even pentrate the front scoop of a dozer? Could you dig drainage ditches (tank traps or moats) around your property? Lol. That might be fun.

I agree with everyone else though, run or never make such a nuisance of yourself that your neigbhoors decide to run you outta town.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
RPG.  Now, where can you get them? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know much about motor vehicles besides driving my VW and changing a tire, but how long would a typical vehicle run with a bullethole in the radiator?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you can tolerate the religious slant, "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse" [ISBN: 1-56384-155-X] has an interesting take on this subject.

Just my two cents: If a piece of heavy equipment is bearing down on you, flee![thinking]
View Quote

Oh Yeah!  I can imagine all the buzzers and horns that are going to go off in BATF and FBI headquarters when they scan that ISBN at Borders!  The man's gonna have a tack on you before you can even clear the parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know much about motor vehicles besides driving my VW and changing a tire, but how long would a typical vehicle run with a bullethole in the radiator?
View Quote

Until it got too hot. A few minutes, maybe longer. Definately long enough to smash a bunch of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, no shit.  And I raised my hand and swore to Uncle that I'd behave myself, at least for the next 11.5 months.

LOL.  I'll STFU now, so the DIS guy doesn't have so many questionable messages to read.

QS
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
And just who might be operating these demonic bulldozers?  Someone has way too much time on their hands thinking about this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you think a crack house ordinance is?
I just wrote one for a client (a blight ordinance) that gives them authority to enter property 10 days after a finding in a civil infraction case and do whatever they want to abate the violation. It will stand up under my state's laws.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Lots of good ideas to be found in reruns of the A-Team and MacGyver.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please give me a semi-plausable senerio where you would need to take out a bull doser?? Come on now, please people!

If you think someone is going to bull dose your home to get all the 20 year old MREs you've hoared, get real!
View Quote

So, I guess there are no Israelis bulldozing down the homes of Pal's on the West Bank?

Right or not isn't the issue.  The point is that somday, someone may bulldoze YOUR house.  It DOES happen, even in 2002.

SHTF for people around the world on a daily basis, in thousands of different ways.  Don't be so close-minded.

-Troy
View Quote

Ditto..

And just to add, Planes getting flown into large buildings and completely and utterely destroying them is/was pretty far fetched too.
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
[b]MUCH[/b] Stranger things have been know to happen.
View Quote

With the 9/11 thing, no matter how much those people in those buildings stock piled "STHF" items, how many gas masks they had, how much toliet paper, ammo, and bags of MREs they had, it would not have done them a damn bit of good.

Now, if S can H T F everywhere, at any time, how many of you CARRY a little duggle bag of SHTF with you around? What if you're at the georcey store, you're cars broken down, and some major s just HTF (like some guy with a bull doser about to bull dose your car). Once again, no matter what or how much you stock piled, it wont do you a damn bit of good!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're kidding right???

LOL....

View Quote

considering that every state, city, and even small towns have the stuff around for regular use, it seems far more likley that a person would encounter a rouge loader then a main battle tank. if i recall correctly, the "defeating armor" thread went three pages.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh Yeah!  I can imagine all the buzzers and horns that are going to go off in BATF and FBI headquarters when they scan that ISBN at Borders!  The man's gonna have a tack on you before you can even clear the parking lot.
View Quote

LOL! [peep]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember reading in the newspaper about something like this happening a while ago. If I remember correctly, it was around Halloween in Chicago. Someone started up a 'dozer that was parked in an urban construction site. They aimed it for a new car dealership and jumped out. It did TONS of damage before it was stopped.

I'm not sure how the 'dozer was stopped, but I'd guess that someone climbed in and shut it off or it ran out of fuel. Generally large equipment like that moves slowly, so you just need to get in somehow and hit the fuel shut-off. Now if the cab is armored and has a .50 coming out the roof, you may need to resort to some other solution.
-Luther
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Potato gun, snapple jar full of gas, rag wired on end.

Take aim, flick your bic.

Back when Y2K was big, this is how I responed when people was asking me what I was doing to get prepared.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Even if you do manage to disable/destroy a tank or APC it will all be for naught when the gunships arrive and mow you down.

Im amazed at the stupidity of the Palestinians who think they can take on a tank with their little 7.62mm's.

A molatav (sp?) cocktail is perhaps the only real solution to "light" armor. Even thats suicide.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So, I guess there are no Israelis bulldozing down the homes of Pal's on the West Bank?

Right or not isn't the issue.  The point is that somday, someone may bulldoze YOUR house.  It DOES happen, even in 2002.

SHTF for people around the world on a daily basis, in thousands of different ways.  Don't be so close-minded.

-Troy
View Quote

Ditto..

And just to add, Planes getting flown into large buildings and completely and utterely destroying them is/was pretty far fetched too.
View Quote

With the 9/11 thing, no matter how much those people in those buildings stock piled "STHF" items, how many gas masks they had, how much toliet paper, ammo, and bags of MREs they had, it would not have done them a damn bit of good.

Now, if S can H T F everywhere, at any time, how many of you CARRY a little duggle bag of SHTF with you around? What if you're at the georcey store, you're cars broken down, and some major s just HTF (like some guy with a bull doser about to bull dose your car). Once again, no matter what or how much you stock piled, it wont do you a damn bit of good!!!
View Quote

So while the rest of us would try to survive and do the best we can, your just gonna say "the hell with it" bend over and spread em wide?

Anyway I knew a guy who had a beef with a coal company and put several dozers out of comission with a .308 Seiko. Cast iron blocks aren't designed to withstand something like a highpower rifle round, I've seen em penetrate or at least crack the block. I'd still get the hell out of there though, a few thousand entombed jap soldiers can't be all wrong.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, it's bizzare, but stranger things have happened!

While heavy equipment may be extremely heavy and powerful, they also tend to be pretty slow, and are not armored for combat. The best solution is probably to either shoot the driver or run away. Any car or possibly even a bicycle could outrun most heavy equipment. The driver is generally in a very exposed position, so that he can see what he is working on as best as possible. Shooting the radiator will make it overheat and die in several minutes, but that's more then enough time to destroy a whole lot of stuff. The tires, engine, and hydraulic lines are also vulnerable, but might not give you an instant stop.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You're kidding right???

LOL....

If you think someone is going to bull dose your home to get all the 20 year old MREs you've hoared, get real1

View Quote

I'm glad that you, a person of obviously superior knowledge and acumen told me that. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy.

If you REALLY want to get ready for some "SHTF bug out senerio", buy a treadmill!!!
View Quote

A treadmill? Is that all I need for a SHTF, BUG OUT SCENARIO?

What makes you the grand-Poobah of prognostication? Can you really see into the future? I think your crystal ball is clouded.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#31]
This is a damn fine SHTF question, and anyone who laughs at it is obviously not long for this world.  Because you're obviously not prepared for when a mini-disaster strikes YOUR family.

Consider...SHTF urban rioters have looted the whole city and the sasquatch come in from the mountains and roam the streets, single handedly overturning any car they come to.  Every building in Flames, all tangible goods--gone.  Except for your house, still sitting there all pristine and untouched with a pile of bodies in front.  Obviously, you were mentally and tactically READY for the S to HTF--or so you thought.

Finally, seeing the pile of bodies, the looters and arsonists catch on, and they don't want to get near this house.  They rush to the construction site across the street, with its bulldozers, payloaders and backhoes and start up the heavy equipment, intent on taking out your home and family.

Will you save yourself and your home?  Or will your wife and kids get squished beneath the treads of the bulldozer?  Then you'll be sorry that you laughed at us for bringing up this thread.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Assuming that you are armed with a rifle and at least fmj ammo and:

1. You have a clear shot at the vehicles engine:

The best place to disable piece of heavy equipment is the engine or Transmission [b]if they are exposed[/b]. The intake manifold is the best place to damage the vehicle. A bullet hole, or a crack in the intake manifold will not completely stop the vehicle, repeated shots into the same area will neutralize it.

Shooting into the radiator will eventually disable the vehicle. The working word here is eventually. It will take a long time for the vehicle to stop.

2. If you have a clear shot at the vehicles transmission:

Second best place is the transmission. If the case can be cracked, or the transmission pan holed, the vehicle will run about a hundred yards and stop. Transmission fluid is gone.

3. You have a clear shot at the hydraulic system:

What is the hydraulic system operating? Steering, an earthmovers blade. The steering would be too hard to hit and substantially damage. If the equipment has a dozer blade,and if the hydraulics system were damaged, the vehicle would be at significant risk, but not completely disabled.

4. Vehicle operator:
The best way to disable the vehicle would be to reach the vehicle operator. He has to see. If you disable him or distract the operator to the point that he is disabled. The vehicle is  neutralized as long as the operator is intimidated. Intimidation only lasts so long. While the operator is distracted try to reach the vehicle and take the operator out.

I have watched open, and exposed, Caterpiller dozer operators raise the blade for protection and bulldoze enemy emplacements.

5. Improvise and Innovate:

Take advantage of cover, and terrain, to outflank the vehicle, and neutralize it. All vehicles will have a vulnerability. Study the vehicle, and look for that vulnerability. It will be the engine and transmission, the crew compartment, or the air intake to the engine.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, whatever you do, you can take your time, they ain't got no guns!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

-Troy
View Quote

Ditto..

View Quote

View Quote

It is hoarded, not hoared. It is dozer, not a doser.

Let me see if I can get through to you. There should be supplies stored at your home. But, [b]oh man of myopic vision,[/b] You should have the major part of your supplies in some other, secure, locations. You don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

I Live in the Los Angeles area for example. There is only an estimated [b]seven day food supply[/b] in the area if you include all of the food sources available.

The Southern California area is overdue for the big quake. What if it came? Where are you going to have a source of food? If you think it could not happen, think again. It wouldn't take much to disrupt transportation resources to where the area would be without a food source for more than a month or better. At least that is what Los Angeles County emergency services are predicting.

Do you think you could survive the strong, taking the food from the weaker people. Do you think anarchy wouldn't happen? I saw fist fights during the 1973 gas shortage. When it comes to food, civilization is only a thin veneer of cover. Humans will revert to FERAL ANIMALS in short order. Have you heard what the Russians were eating during the siege of Stalingrad? They canabalized corpses in some incidents.

Bury your head in the sand. Scoff, and mock, all you want. You will be one less person to worry about having to feed.

Bill

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#35]
For those that say it can't happen here simply rent the moive "[b]Maximum Overdrive[/b]"

[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/JIMBEAM%2Fmaximumover5%2Dic%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/JIMBEAM%2Fmaximumoverdrive%2Egif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
.50 BMG [:D]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone remember the a-hole who stole the NG tank a few years ago and took a joy ride through some neighborhoods?..
[shock]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You're kidding right???

LOL....

If you think someone is going to bull dose your home to get all the 20 year old MREs you've hoared, get real1

View Quote

I'm glad that you, a person of obviously superior knowledge and acumen told me that. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy.

View Quote

What makes you the grand-Poobah of prognostication? Can you really see into the future? I think your crystal ball is clouded.

View Quote

Threadmill is for you to get in shape, so you CAN bug out!!! Tell me, how far can ya jog with that beer belly of yours?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Does anyone remember the a-hole who stole the NG tank a few years ago and took a joy ride through some neighborhoods?..
[shock]
View Quote

San Diego, CA is where it happened. He got hung up trying to cross the center divider on the 5 Freeway. He forgot to secure the top hatch. The CHP climbed aboard the tank, opening the hatch, and shot him to death. If he would have secured the top hatch, he would have done more damage.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For those that say it can't happen here simply rent the moive "[b]Maximum Overdrive[/b]"

[url]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/JIMBEAM%2Fmaximumover5%2Dic%2Ejpg[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/JIMBEAM%2Fmaximumoverdrive%2Egif[/url]
View Quote

That was a cool movie, but then again, that is Holly Wood
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You're kidding right???

LOL....

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Threadmill is for you to get in shape, so you CAN bug out!!! Tell me, how far can ya jog with that beer belly of yours?
View Quote

I haven't had a beer in over three years. I'm not against me, or anyone else having one. And I jog five miles morning and evening. Not bad for 65 going on 66 is it Mr. Richard Head?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You're kidding right???

LOL....

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I haven't had a beer in over three years. I'm not against me, or anyone else having one. And I jog five miles morning and evening. Not bad for 65 going on 66 is it Mr. Richard Head?
View Quote

That wasnt specifically directed at you, but a generalization.

However, this is:

Instead of worrying about how to take out a bull dozer, dont you think you ought to be worrying about stocking up on all your heart pills and various other meds so you dont have a heart attack when a bull dozer tries to run you and your family over???

[:d]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of the above will work but, the fastest way to stop them is shut off the fuel supply.  Best bet on a moving target: [b]Fuel Filter.[/b]  Trust me. [;d]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
[shock]
View Quote

Yeah.

If I didn't work late that day I would have seen it in person.

Also, I recall seeing pictures of "armored" farm tractors in the Baltics during the recent "issues" there.

One possible solution: how about launching Molotov cocktails using the M-1 rifle granade launcher system, and the tail/fins designed for launching chemical/smoke granades?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

However, this is:

Instead of worrying about how to take out a bull dozer, dont you think you ought to be worrying about stocking up on all your heart pills and various other meds so you dont have a heart attack when a bull dozer tries to run you and your family over???

[:d]
View Quote

Blood pressure 120/80, Cholesterol count, less than a young mans. Heart problems do not run in my family. I take no medications whatsoever.

With my age, and my lifes experience, I am probably more crafty than the run of the mill person. [b]I will improvise, I will innovate,[/b] and I won't be caught short, if SHTF ever happened.

I have a planned route out of Los Angeles, if the big one hits while I am here. This route travels less than four blocks on the city streets. This route travels over sixty miles in the concrete lined bed of the Los Angeles River. Or I could travel on the levee's on either side of the river. A pair of bolt cutters an I am out and gone.

After leaving the Los Angeles river, I have planned a route through the mountains that requires no bridge crossings, and is relatively free from landslide problems. From there it is Interstate 5 to Weed, CA, and highway 97 to anywhere I want to go in Washington, or branching off to my land, and house, in Idaho.

I have 150 gallons of usable gas, in the tanks on my 4wd pickup. The pickup, fully loaded, towing my Wells Cargo trailor, gets 18 mpg. I have other supplies stored in Washington, Idaho and Arizona.

The 1965 Watts riots caused me to look to my own security. The 1971 Sylmar Earthquake caused me to seek a route out of the area without having to rely on major streets and roads within the city. The 1992 Northridge earthquake proved my route was safe, and workable.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

One possible solution: how about launching Molotov cocktails using the M-1 rifle granade launcher system, and the tail/fins designed for launching chemical/smoke granades?
View Quote

Imagine  a world of sudden violence. Imagine a world where the only thing between you and some maniac with a dozer coming to crush you is you and your M1. Now imagine a world where your last few moments are spent running around on fire because you tried to shoot a flaming wicked GLASS bottle of gasoline from the end of your Garand to a target which shattered when you fired and, as you run back and forth in your best Richard Pryor imitation, finally hearing the dozer stop, because the driver is convulsing with laughter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Jesus you guys are stupid.  Haven't any of you seen [i]Lethal Weapon 3[/i]?  You just get some fancy-smancy cop-killer bullets (that's right bullets, not cartridges) in an anemic caliber like 9mm and they'll punch right through a 55 gallon drum, then through both sides of a police-issue body armor vest.  They will not go through through two vests layered together though.  But, (this is the good part for the SHTF) they will zip straight through a bulldozer blade, and right through the bad guy.

I'm willing to bet that if you shot a round into the ground, some Chinese guy going about his business in Beijing will drop dead from a bullet wound.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#48]
IMHO, the only way to stop these steel behemoths is to use the dreaded sticky bomb. You've seen SPR. You know what to do.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Some of the above will work but, the fastest way to stop them is shut off the fuel supply.  Best bet on a moving target: [b]Fuel Filter.[/b]  Trust me. [;d]
View Quote

Gunrunner:
You're right the fuel filter would be a good target, if it were visible. Most heavy equipment, military and civilian, is fuel
injected. Where is the filter located? What does it look like? How big of a target is it? If the intake manifold is pierced anywhere downstream of the throttle valve, the engine stops, and runs no more.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
IMHO, the only way to stop these steel behemoths is to use the dreaded sticky bomb. You've seen SPR. You know what to do.

Chris
View Quote

The stickey bomb was used in "Saving Ryans Privates" (Saving Private Ryan). I wonder about the grease they were using, and how it would stick. What if the vehicles body was hot?

Good sniping scenes in that movie.

Bill
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top