Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/26/2002 2:20:04 PM EDT
I have had it with apartment living and want to look into purchasing my first house. I was honorably discharged from the Air Force and thru many moves I cannot find any of my paperwork. How do I go about obtaining my DD214?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:33:11 PM EDT
Call your county veterans service officer, they will send you the paperwork. Often times lenders have this stuff too.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:34:54 PM EDT
Forgot...feel free to contact me if you have problems, I'll need your phone#, and county. Check out my profile....
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:39:18 PM EDT
[url=http://www.va-home-loans.com/dd21_request_VA_loan.htm]Instructions and forms[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:41:33 PM EDT
Well if you went to any sort of separation breif they tell you to put a copy on file at your district court to be added to county record. Other than that the recruiers for each branch should have contact info for the personel department. takes a few months sometimes but they will send it to you DC1
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:44:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:51:53 PM EDT
Be careful with filing a copy with your local county clerk. That information is public record and is available to anyone that requests it. Not to long ago a lawyer was charged with identity theft for using legally obtained DD214's to get credit cards and other stuff. I got a certified copy of mine and keep it locked in a fireproof safe. Just an idea and more safe in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:26:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Offspring: Be careful with filing a copy with your local county clerk. That information is public record and is available to anyone that requests it. Not to long ago a lawyer was charged with identity theft for using legally obtained DD214's to get credit cards and other stuff. I got a certified copy of mine and keep it locked in a fireproof safe. Just an idea and more safe in my opinion.
View Quote
they wouldn't get much if they stole mine[whacko]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2002 3:28:38 PM EDT by Jarhead_22]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:29:25 PM EDT
Try here..... [url]http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_louis/military_personnel_records/military_records_faqs.html[/url] Fill out the SF-180, print it, mail it! Takes about a month for an official copy of your DD-214. While your at it, might just as well get a copy of your service record and get any medals/ribbons re-issued (took about 2 months for Navy..other branches may be different). Make sure you read the instructions and send it to the correct address as listed on the webpage.
Top Top