Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2002 6:03:03 PM EDT
(Washington, D.C., 4/30/2002)
A report released today by a prominent Islamic advocacy group indicates that reports of anti-Muslim incidents in the United States increased three-fold over the previous year. (Up from 366 validated reports in 2001 to 1125 this year.) The only national study of its kind also shows that almost 60,000 American Muslims have been negatively impacted by U.S. governm:ent policies since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations' (CAIR) seventh annual study, titled "Stereotypes and Civil Liberties," outlines 1516 reports of denial of religious accommodation, harassment, discrimination, bias, threat, assault, and even several murders. That figure represents more than 2,200 individuals targeted because of actual or perceived religion and ethnicity. The majority of violent incidents occurred in the period immediately following the September 11 attacks. If post 9-11 backlash incidents are eliminated from the count, the remaining reports (525) still show a 43 percent increase over the 2001 study.

CAIR's report covers the period from March 2001, to March 2002. It is available online at http://www.cair-net.org/civilrights2002/

In addition to the direct acts of discrimination and violence, the report shows that the civil rights of almost 60,000 American Muslims were negatively impacted by government policies instituted following the 9-11 attacks. Those affected include some 1,200 Muslims who were detained nationwide, mostly on immigration charges, but who were treated as if they were terrorists, 5,000 legal visa-holders who were asked to submit to "voluntary" interrogations and an estimated 50,000 individuals who donated to American Muslim relief agencies shut down by the government.

"Muslims, like all Americans, support policies that result in genuine increases in security. Unfortunately, many of the government actions prompted by 9-11, particularly those based on ethnic and religious profiling or stereotypes, merely create a false sense of security and preclude effective initiatives," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad.

"Now is the time for the judiciary to step in and reaffirm the constitutionally-protected rights that all Americans hold dear," said Awad. Awad added that Muslims were among the victims of the September 11 attacks, they died rescuing other victims and they died in the anti-Muslim hysteria that followed the attacks.

CAIR issued its first civil rights report, called "A Rush to Judgment," within a month of the 1995 attack on the Murrah Federal Building. There are an estimated seven million Muslims in the United States.

[url]http://www.cair-net.org/civilrights2002/[/url]

Number of reported incidents by category:
[url]http://www.cair-net.org/html/bycategory.htm[/url]

By state:
[url]http://www.cair-net.org/html/bystate.htm[/url]

Edited to add a couple of links.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
This is not newsworthy.  Let me know when it becomes 1000 fold.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
[>Q]

yeah, i'm all broken up and empty inside for them.

[USA]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You forgot to ask us if we care.
Why not put up a poll!

View Quote

LOL!...
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
(Washington, D.C., 4/30/2002)
A report released today by a prominent Islamic advocacy group indicates that reports of anti-Muslim incidents in the United States increased three-fold over the previous year. (Up from 366 validated reports in 2001 to 1125 this year.)... [/b]
View Quote

Let me see...1125 [b]complaints[/b] on this side of the scale and 3000+ [b]dead[/b] on this side of the scale.  I don't think the scales are quite balanced yet.

Matrix, it's not YOU that I take issue with.  But those who commit murder from behind the cloak of Islam.  Or Christianity for that matter, the Inquisition and other acts come to mind.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Matrix, it's not YOU that I take issue with.  But those who commit murder from behind the cloak of Islam.  Or Christianity for that matter, the Inquisition and other acts come to mind.  
View Quote

can someone here give me a little run down on what "the inquisition" was all about?

was it really that horrible?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The Council on American-Islamic Relations' (CAIR) seventh annual study, titled "Stereotypes and Civil Liberties,"
View Quote

Using this group for a source is as legitimate as using Bill Clinton as a character reference.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Big Hairy Deal.
BP
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing personal Matrix, but I'm gonna go get about 60,000 quarters for those folks in the fourth paragraph so they can call 1-800-WAA-FUCKING-WAA!!

Here's a story.  About 6 years ago my friend and I were riding our bicycles back into Germany from another friend's bicycle shop in Echternach, Luxembourg.  At the German side of the border, the Polizei removed (yes, correct verb) this guy and his backpack from their car and sent him walking into Lux.  He was a vagrant.  1200 folks detained with immigration charges?  They're lucky we don't put them in a leaky rowboat out of New York harbor!!

I gotta leave this alone.[:(!]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
can someone here give me a little run down on what "the inquisition" was all about?

was it really that horrible?
View Quote

Yep

[url]http://es.rice.edu/ES/humsoc/Galileo/Things/inquisition.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Geee....I wonder why that would be? [rolleyes]

I'm sure it's not like it's because of anything they've done (or in most cases, not done.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, that is alarming.  What one earth happened this last year that would foment this kind of animosity towards the muslim community in the US.

I'm stumped.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to know how many of them have been beheaded.  It's not like followers of Islam force conversion of Christians in the Sudan or take hostages/torture sellers of Avon products in the PI or anything.

have a nice day.  NOT.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You forgot to ask us if we care.
Why not put up a poll!

View Quote

LOL!...
View Quote

No kidding.....when I see a Muslim outcry against 9/11 in this country, I'll start caring. Until then, they're all suspect. Speak out against Muslim terror, with vigor, or take what you get. End of story.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Matrix[/b], I have nothing against any individual Muslim I have ever met - and I've worked closely with many in my profession, and still do. I've yet to meet a man or woman of the Islamic faith that I did not get along with - at least in a civil and polite working relationship. I never found any of my colleages to be outwardly anti-American, radical or hateful, though they were certainly proud of their heritage (which is fine with me).

Having said that, I DO have a major burning hatred for the "MoslemMaggots" and their domestic supporters that are waging war against our culture and our nation right now.

CAIR is not merely an "advocacy" group for Muslims, IMO they are a tool or shield being used by radical MoslemMaggots within our borders to continue their multi-front war against us - much like Calypso Louie and the Nation of Islam. I don't seek to convince you, only respond to you.

You'll get no sympathy from me for what CAIR says is a growing backlash against Muslims in America.

Frankly, I have YET to see ANY major instance (and heaven forbid it be a pattern) where large numbers of Muslim Americans protested against THEIR OWN RADICAL ELEMENTS in this country or abroad who cheered on 9-11 or who marched on Washington recently. I saw no ORGANIZED outpouring of condemnation from the Muslim community about the attacks against us by the MoslemMaggots from Al Qaeda. Oh sure, individually my Muslim friends were very disturbed and shocked (in all honestly) by the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon.

But organizations like CAIR were essentially silent at a time when they should have been the [b]LOUDEST[/b] ones screaming in anger non-stop that such a hideous, cowardly massacre of 3,000 innocent American  civilians was done in the name of THEIR religion by a bunch of inhuman savages who were well-funded, well-trained, well-supported and literally cheered-on by millions of fellow MoslemMaggots throughout the Arab world.

No. We are at war with millions of Muslims throughout the world and many thousands of sleepers inside our borders, living in our neighborhoods and probably working right alongside us.

It is never good that innocent civilians are killed for the actions of those who wage war, but I have a VERY hard time feeling any sympathy for the Muslim community because of their utter SILENCE in what should be their greatest moment to stand up and save their religion from the millions of savage, inhuman monsters around the world who've hijacked it to wage war against Western Civilization and who will ultimately turn much of the Islamic world into every other object they've ever hijacked - nothing but a fiery mass of wreckage and death.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I just checked the "I Care" meter is pegged at 0
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]
It is amazing how so many "patriots" here are willing to throw out the Constitutional rights and execution of [b]AMERICAN CITIZENS[/b] because they are of a different different religion and don't have an open line to the media. I guess all of that "I'll defend your rights" chest thumping was bullshit all along.

As for CAIR being biased, where is the outcry against the anti-gun/anti-Constitution/anti-American Anti-Defamation League?
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As for CAIR being biased, where is the outcry against the anti-gun/anti-Constitution/anti-American Anti-Defamation League?
View Quote
Or the lame-ass NRA who STILL hasn't gotten a decent case to the SCOTUS regarding the 1934 gun-ban, the 1989 gun-ban or the 1994 gun-ban. All the while the ACLU has presented  case-after-case-after-case about the 1st Amendment and still has them lined up for miles ad infinitum.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top