Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2002 6:02:51 PM EDT
We just got in the first couple this week. Thought some of you motorheads might like to see some pics. You'll forgive me if I don't know what the sticker said, I just work them.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350Z%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zfrt%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zinstr%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zint%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zconsole%2Ejpg[/img]

[b]Engine compartment[/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zeng%2Ejpg[/img]

[b]6 speed close ratio, (very) short throw transmission[/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350ztr%2Ejpg[/img]

[b]Carbon fiber driveshaft[/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zshaft%2Ejpg[/img]

[b]Diff and welded aluminum cradle[/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zdiff%2Ejpg[/img]

[b]Front suspension with cast aluminum arms and uprights[/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zfr%2Ejpg[/img]

[b]Rear suspension with cast aluminum members[/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350zlr%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still a fan of the old 3ooZ, 1990 + model.

I hope to get one one day.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My local dealer had a silver one today. I just saw it driving by.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice pics, though I would have opted for the last generation 6cyl. twin turbo engine.  I drove one and that sucker had some juice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm still a fan of the old 3ooZ, 1990 + model.

I hope to get one one day.

View Quote

You ain't the only one.  I think 96' was the last year of that generation.  I'll shoot for that one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad had a 1984 50th anniversary turbo and the best thing was the seats.  They had speakers or subwoofers built in the seats and you could adjust the feeling.  It was awesome.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
With all that trickery, that could be a sweet ride if it looked more like a fast, advanced automobile and less like a fucking Beetle with pimp wheels.  I swear, the Dodge Neon and the new Beetle are the worst things to happen to auto styling since the fucking Chrysler K-car.

(rant off)
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a great year for sports cars. The return of the Mazda rotary, the GT40, the Z car and a V12 midengine caddy waiting in the wings [:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

.........that could be a sweet ride if it looked more like a fast, advanced automobile and less like a fucking Beetle with pimp wheels.  

View Quote

I am now crossing your name off the prospect list.

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, but as a former "Z" owner (Three 280's, and one 240) I am just not impressed.. The whole aim of the old origional 240/260/280 series (Excluding that pimpmobile 280ZX) was to inspire..They were somewhat crude, but hell, they were SPORTS cars.. Basic interiors, marginal sound systems, superb instrumentation, and excellent driver layout were their hallmarks, and their handling? Short of some of the other foreign exotica, or a 'Vette, few could match em. Four wheel independent, and manual rack&pinion steering.. You could loose a thumb from the pothole kickback, but the control, and roadfeel was excellent..

As to power? The inline six was greasy smooth,very tuneable, and in the later 280's-fitted with a Bosch L-Jetronic injection system- reliable, and powerful.Couple this to their well designed transmissions (Please exclude the slushbox Borg Warner they offered..) and the robust diffrential, and you had a near out of the box raceable ride..With proper rubber, one could run the revs to max torque, dump the clutch and instead of a smoking burnout, achieve a launch many dragsters would envy..

I simply loved these cars..

So what happened? Why'd I loose interest? I saw these small, powerful, fun little rides getting back seats (Starting with the 260's I believe) then getting cushier, and cushier interiors.. The nail in the coffin for me was the 280ZX, and it's gushy rear suspension, and HAL like interior decor.. Everything following may have been faster, quieter,and quicker, but the origional trio will remain the REAL "Z car" to me..

Sometimes improvement, isi'nt.. (Although it's nice to see em going back to something reminiscent of the old gauge layout..)

No insult intended,
Meplat-

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard nothing but good reviews on the 350Z. Lots of car/power for the price.

Not my personal type of car, but sweet none the less.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
 This pile is a far cry from the 240, one of my favorite cars and the only car I regret having sold. Sad, sad,sad.
 It's all tapered and smooth, like a BM.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.........that could be a sweet ride if it looked more like a fast, advanced automobile and less like a fucking Beetle with pimp wheels.  

View Quote

I am now crossing your name off the prospect list.

[:D]
View Quote

I've read that three times now and still can' figure out what list you are talking about.  But I cracked up each time!  (tipping my 32oz. Rum and Vanilla Coke)  LOL!
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Prospective buyers list possibly?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks very close to the Audi S series. What kinda hp? The S has a twin turbo Intercooled option that does 260 or so. Damn I love coupes!
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Germans have a name for that car already...its called: Porsche

Tell me that doesnt look like one! [;)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I can almost smell that new car smell from the pictures.  Sharp car.

I'll keep my 10 year old pick'emup truck though, for a few more years at least, I don't want to get back into a monthly car payment for awhile yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright, it must be the network that I am on.  I havent been able to see any of the pics lately.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
just sold my '92 300zx

1 owner (me), 74K mles, black w/ tan leather inter., cassette/CD, Bose system, never seen snow, garage kept, new clutch, new tires. SUPER CLEAN. i asked $10,900 for it. the jack ass who test drove it (forever). said "i'll give you $8000. i about kicked him in the balls!!

ohhhhh the "fun" i had in that car....it's a total babe magnet if ya know what i mean. what a cool car.

seeing the pics, i like mine better. but yes the new one is still cool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was reading in R&T or was it Motor Trend that it is around 280HP @ 6200RPM. 270 FT Lb Torque @ 4800 RPM. Its no Camaro SS, but I'm sure there's someone out that there that's gonna put some bigass exhaust on it, some NOS, and try to make it as fast as one Camaro SS stock.
View Quote

LT,
My last sportscars was a WS6 Formula. So I'm an F-Body fan. But at 280HP this Nissan is going to have a much better HP to weight ratio than the significantly heavier 325HP SS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like an Audi TT.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Great picures, [b]Pthfndr[/b]! Thanks for posting.

Ward's Auto World just did a mini-review — liked everything except the instrument panel, which seemed a little cheap. However, this car is going to be a screaming value — IIRC, the base model starts at around $27K, and includes that incredible VQ engine. Nothing like owning a car that should do 0-60 in a little over 5 seconds (my guess), yet will be good as a daily driver for 200K miles or so with little fuss.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]
One of the benefits of being a fat guy is you never have to worry about that kind of crap because you don't fit in those kinds of cars anyway. More money for guns! he he
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Might be "hi-tech" and all that, but boy, that is one ugly-ass car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Comparing this car to a F-body?

Damn.  The F-bodies put 20 more hp to the GROUND than the nissan puts at the CRANK.

You do know that the LS1's in the F-bods are under-rated...they put just as much hp down as the LS1 vettes, roughly 300 to the rear wheels.

The nissan, assuming norman drivetrain loss, will be around 240 to the wheels.  

For some reason, despite the LS1 F-bods bulk, I have still seen them get low 13 runs all day long at the track.

I dont think the nissan will come close to that.  Low 14's would be my guess, with a good driver.  Should trap mid 90's.

Still love the car though.  I just wish they would have kept the twin turbo setup...

That car would be a fucking beast with a twin turbo 3.5L engine...good lord.  Can you say 400 hp?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#27]
LT is close on the HP/torque figures. HP is 287. Want more power? Last winter I had an opportunity to talk with someone involved with the VQ engine. First shot out of the box - over 450 horses. That's from 3.5 liters guys. As it was explained to me it was close, but wouldn't quite pass the smog regs. I won't say how much it produced and would pass, but it way more than what it's rated at right now. Present state of tune was mostly to help keep insurance hacks at bay (so I was told) but will be increased as the "competition" demands. Was also told a twin turbo is in developement that in "street" trim exceeded 600 hp. Did anyone notice how much room there is on either side of the bell housing? Hmmm. Wait a year or so [:D]

btw 287hp divided by 210 (3.5L)= 1.3hp per cid. Beats the hell out of that Ford truck.

If anyone would like to see some of the info we get email me and I'll scan it and email to you.

edited to add: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Generally people either love the look, or they hate it. Personally I don't care either way. I just wish there was more room to work in the engine compartment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow!   [bounce]
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 3:33:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Prospective buyers list possibly?
View Quote

Yup !!
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Got one on order, I will let you guys know in a month or so...
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#32]
From an engineering standpoint, it looks like Nissan is charging ahead of the pack again.  Strictly from an aesthetics point of view...I think the body style sucks.  I have a hard on for the round turtle looks anyway so this design doesn't spin my pinwheel.

I mean...it's a SPORTS car for chrissake...it ought to LOOK like one...I know, the trend these days is to soften the edges...but this is going to far...just like the goofy looking Audi TT.  It does look like a slightly squashed Beetle...or maybe an anemic Porsche 911.

I prefer a body style like the Corvette or better yet, the Ford GT-40.  Don't get me wrong...this isn't a preach for Detroit Iron...I just like the look of a low-slung job like those two.

Also, what's with the garish paint job?  A real sports car doesn't need teen-age girl nail polish paint colors to get the message across that, "I'm gonna blow your doors off sucka!".  Maybe its just my old age...but more subtle paint colors work for me and tend to draw a lot less attention from Law Dogs too.

Having said that...I REALLY like Nissan vehicles.  Miz LWilde drives a 2001 Infiniti I-30 and she really loves that four door hot rod.  

That engine should power that little beast WAY beyond any speed limits.  Hell...one of the Infiniti service writers told me that when the new I-cars came in, they took one out on the DC beltway about three a.m. one day and ran it up to 134mph and had pedal left!  The Z-car ought to get a lot of drivers in trouble.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 4:16:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I am sitting here wiping the drool off my chin. I have not seen a car that gorgeous since I sold my last '91 MR2 Turbo.  If only it had a mid-engine, I'd be at the dealership today.

toast
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 4:47:07 AM EDT
[#34]
If you are thinking of buying one........

Wait.... don't buy the first year production.

Nissan is famous for having numerous problems

with there first year cars. There recently

introduced all new Altima for example, the 4cyl

rear main seals were pouring oil out with only

10 miles on the cars. We were replacing the

engines due to a machining defect. The new

Maxima has had numerous problems with the

"Check Eng" light coming on for several

different reasons. I wont even know where to

begin with the Quest. It was from day one that

this van had problems. Don't get me wrong......

I love Nissan cars. I even own 2 of them.

Just don't buy the first year version.

I have been a Nissan Tech for 14yrs now, of

which the last 8yrs I have been a Master Tech.

You guys that like that "seat of the pants"

power feeling, ought to go and test drive a

new Maxima with the manaul 6 speed trans.

This family car will flat out haul ass. It

is very impressive to say the least. If "all

out" power is your cup of tea, the Twin Turbo

300Z is the ticket. Most people don't know,

this car has 4 wheel steering. This car is

truly [red]AWESOME![/red]
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#36]
LWilde,

Real sports cars with subtle colors like Ferrari fly yellow,or Porche guards red?[:)]
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't put to much stock in horse power guys there is alot more to the game than that.

"You guys that like that "seat of the pants"
power feeling, ought to go and test drive a
new Maxima with the manaul 6 speed trans"

The faster you go the less you feel[;)]

It's good to see the Zcar make a come back,maybe now we can get ride of the puncks with 4 bangers.

I hope after they get there feet wet again they will give us a littel more that 0-60 in 5+

PS: It really dose look like a TT
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am sitting here wiping the drool off my chin. I have not seen a car that gorgeous since I sold my last '91 MR2 Turbo.  If only it had a mid-engine, I'd be at the dealership today.
toast
View Quote

It's funny that you call your self "toast" and you had a MR2,thats just what I would call you too[:D]
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm waiting to see the G35 coipe in person.

I think the styling is going to be a little cleaner & it's a 2+2 with the smae powertrain.

[url]www.freshalloy.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm waiting to see the G35 coipe in person.

I think the styling is going to be a little cleaner & it's a 2+2 with the smae powertrain.

[url]www.freshalloy.com[/url]
View Quote

I looked at this site...and I like the car better.  I doesn't look so much like a squashed bug.  Still looks a lot like the Porsche though.

The option deals are neat.  I like the Touring 5AT.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:49:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LWilde,

Real sports cars with subtle colors like Ferrari fly yellow,or Porche guards red?[:)]
View Quote

I said they don't "need" a garish paint job like the bright blue in this model to be noticed.  Real motorheads know in an instant what their eyes are lusting after.  If your ego needs the extra attention-grabber, then get the car with the "try-and-catch-me" paint job.  Hell, I did once.

Colors are the only characteristic determinate about a car that is totally in the eyes of the beholder.  What for you might be beautiful, cool, and "must have", for you might make me puke...and vice-versa.

At my age, I have given up on the loud colors, preferring the more subtle shades.  For example...of the colors offered for the 'Vette, I like the medium spiral grey metallic, the quicksilver metallic or the 50th anniversary red...a deep dark candy apple.  I wouldn't be caught dead in the millenium yellow or the electron blue metallic.

The loud colors are neat if you want to draw attention to yourself but sometimes that can work against you.  I don't want to challenge other drivers any more...and I don't need to tempt chicks...been there did that...and they both got me in lots of trouble.  The Shelby GT-350 I bought new in 1966 had a bright blue paint job with white stripes...but I was a totally different person then.  Driving fast got me lot of attention from the law dogs and trying to entice chicks into my hot rod eventually worked.  Been married for 30 years now.

Never wish for something too hard.  [;D]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#42]
On eBay you can bid on vin# 00000000001
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#43]
[img]www.hyundaiusa.com/images/showroom/car/2002cars/tiburon/photos/pho_image04.jpg[/img]

Hyundai Tiburon

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Pthfndr%2F350Z%2Ejpg[/img]

Nissan 350

Hmmmm. [:\]
--LS
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
PS: It really dose look like a TT
View Quote

Beat me to it

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#45]
To quote Arnold from the movie PREDATOR " You are one ugly Mother-fucker" ! But hey , at least it is rear wheel drive . Seems to have some nice features and many gimmicks . I'll stay with my BMW , thank you .

[puke]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#46]
when that hyundai tiburon first came out, it was one of the funniest cars ive ever seen. reminded me of  that Nerf football with the spiral edges. and kids in Cali (when i was stationed there) would always challenge me to race. (i had a 1990 5.0, juiced, Paxton-supercharged Mustang)

now they (hyundai)come out with a new body design with the paint job that makes it go fast? haha. i miss my Mustang.  id still buy that Nissan when it comes out. probably on the second year of production when they iron out the kinks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
toast
View Quote

It's funny that you call your self "toast" and you had a MR2,thats just what I would call you too[:D]
View Quote

Umm... I guess your misguided humor was lost on me.  Perhaps you either don't remember the second generation MR2's or else never knew them.  To be succint, imagine a 200HP turbocharged mid-engine 2 seater that weighed something like 2000 pounds, handled like a friggin go-kart, and had a beautiful interior.  So perhaps you want to clarify whatever snide comment you were trying to make.  Nice way to start a conversation, jackass.

toast
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
toast
View Quote

View Quote

Umm... I guess your misguided humor was lost on me.  Perhaps you either don't remember the second generation MR2's or else never knew them.  To be succint, imagine a 200HP turbocharged mid-engine 2 seater that weighed something like 2000 pounds, handled like a friggin go-kart, and had a beautiful interior.  So perhaps you want to clarify whatever snide comment you were trying to make.  Nice way to start a conversation, jackass.

toast
View Quote

I can second that, I have a 94' MR2 Turbo and it's one sweet car, it will beat my buddies 96' firebird in the quarter easily.

-edited for poor positioning
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I still can't see buying a Japanese car. There are only 2 Japanese cars I would buy, that is the NSX or the old rotary engine RX7's. Other than that, I'm all about American and German cars. And maybe, if someone twisted my arm to give me a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, then maybe I'll take one. [;)]

If I were given a choice of a free one of these and making payments all my life on a BMW M3, I'll take the M3.
View Quote

You can take solice in the fact that Mazda is a part of Ford, so it's an American car in a round about way. [:)] Later this year you'll be able to get a next generation Rotary in Febuary, the RX-8.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top