Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2002 3:53:20 PM EDT
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020823/ap_on_re_us/townhouse_bombs_1[/url]

U.S. National - AP

Doctor Accused of Targeting Mosques
Fri Aug 23, 7:00 PM ET
By RACHEL LA CORTE, Associated Press Writer

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A podiatrist arrested after authorities found guns and explosives in his home planned to destroy an Islamic education center and dozens of mosques, court documents alleged Friday.

Deputies searching Dr. Robert J. Goldstein's home near St. Petersburg found up to 40 weapons, 30 explosive devices and a typed list of about 50 Islamic worship centers in the state, according to a complaint filed Friday.

Deputies also found detailed plans to bomb an Islamic education center, the complaint said. The location of the center was not disclosed.

"He had a list of what he wanted to target and the directions on how to get there," Pinellas County Sheriff's Detective Cal Dennie said.

Goldstein, 37, was charged Friday with possession of a non-registered destructive device and attempting to use an explosive to damage and destroy Islamic centers.

Authorities found the bombs and evacuated residents in Goldstein's townhome complex Thursday night after his wife, Kristi, called police, saying her husband was acting unstable.

Goldstein was placed in custody under the Baker Act, which allows involuntary commitment for analysis.

The residents were allowed to return home Friday afternoon.

Dennie said Goldstein had licenses for the guns. But he also had more than 30 explosive devices, including hand grenades and a 5-gallon gasoline bomb with a timer and a wire attached, Dennie said.

"If one of those bombs were to have gone off, that townhouse would have been destroyed," said Agent Carlos Baixauli with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. "If the others exploded, we would have lost most of that townhouse complex."

A message left at Goldstein's medical office was not immediately returned Friday. Goldstein's home does not have a listed phone number.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet he ain't the last.  This looks like a real "cache" folks but they failed to use that word in the article.[:(]  They still can't get it right.

I saw on TV he had what looks like an AR...an AR50!  And a Steyr Aug.  And something that looked like an anti-tank missile.  WTF?
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Irv Rubin of the Jewish Defense League was recently indicted of similar charges of conspiring to blow up mosques.

Why don't you all who are saying the muslims deserve such acts put your money were your mouths are and contribute to Rubin's and Goldstein's defense funds?

Link Posted: 8/24/2002 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
This guy lives about 1/2 mile from me.  Don't want to piss him off because he probably could reach me with the .50.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Our Liberal local news (channel 11) said that he had an arsenal of .50 caliber machine guns and sniper rifles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Bombs, and targeting buildings, whether it is a Mosque, Church, Synagogue or just a Christian Science Reading Room is terrorism and he should be tried as a terrorist.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Irv Rubin of the Jewish Defense League was recently indicted of similar charges of conspiring to blow up mosques.

Why don't you all who are saying the muslims deserve such acts put your money were your mouths are and contribute to Rubin's and Goldstein's defense funds?

View Quote

I remember that.  Seems like only the rags know how to keep a plan secret.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Wow!! Leave it to Imbroglio to come up with a great idea!! Does anybody have the info on how to contribute to their fund? I will take the $35 that the NRA wants me to send to them to be a member and split it in half, between these two worthy charities.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder how much he wants for that AUG? Man, that .50 looked really cool too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw it when it first hit fox and thought he had an AR50 [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=141025[/url]
now on foxnews.com the article says .50 machine gun and other weapons and explosives. So what do they show a pic of? A folding stock stainless steel ruger 10/22
[img]http://www.foxnews.com/images/64086/3_22_082402_officer_guns.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,61242,00.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top