Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/22/2002 5:51:31 PM EDT
I saw a project idea on the boo-tube this morning, and since I was right in the middle of boredom I decided to rig up a little fun! In case you want to know how to make yourself into a moving gun platform... You will need the following: 150' of 1/4 inch steel cable. Stainless preferred. 2 cable clamps a 16' ladder A nylon tow rope a 2"x12"x18" piece of treated lumber for a seat 4 eye-bolts A pulley and hook 12' twine Place the pulley onto the cable and grease it very, very well. Attach the cable to two Large trees seperated by 140' Note: Make sure you attach the cable much higher than your ladder, because it will sag in the middle, and your fanny will scrape the ground, don't ask me how I know...ouch! Drill four holes in the wood seat , 2"x2" from the corners. Place the eyebolts into the holes. Secure them. Attach the tow rope to the four corners. Tie a loop into the top, center, of the tow rope to make a swivel point for the swing. Note: a tow rope has hooks on both ends. Make sure the hooks are on one side of your seat. You 'unbuckle' the seat to slide it around behind you fanny when getting into the swing. Attach this to the hook on the pulley. Attach the twine to the swing. This will be used to 'reload' the swing. You lead it back to the launch point using the twine. Lean the ladder against the highest tree. Climb the ladder and secure yourself to the swing. Hang on tight, jump into space and FLY, I mean FLY through the freaking trees! Tomorrow I am going to set up targets along the swing path and see if I can get off any good shots! I wonder if bumpfiring will make me spin around and around ...hmmmm... Man, my insurance agent would have a coniption fit if he saw this thing! TRG
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:57:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat: I wonder if bumpfiring will make me spin around and around ...hmmmm... TRG
View Quote
Do a favor. Leave word with your next of kin (and your account name and password). Have them post your obituary as a courtesy to all of us her who will be waiting anxiously. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:58:30 PM EDT
Pics man! PICS!! TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:01:53 PM EDT
Wonder if he'll break his arms, legs, or both?
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:20:19 PM EDT
Wonder if we need to start a "TheRedGoat" memorial fund, or get our cameras ready for "Funniest Home Videos"?.. fullclip
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:28:00 PM EDT
I made a zip line when I was a kid coming from about 20 ft up.. It got stuck in the middle one day.. and it wasn't a seat jobber either.. I could only hold onto the upside down BMX handlebars for so long before I took the plunge.. OUCH!
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:29:48 PM EDT
BTW it is a good thing you sag on the line or you would not decelerate and have a not so pleasant landing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:40:23 PM EDT
You guys are funny! Yes, I will get pics. I 'hope' I can convince my wife to film me zipping through the trees firing an AR! WOOT! WOOT! Secondly, I had a funny thought today while standing on the ladder "Ar15 member killed while making a zip line..." Weird, you guys had the same thoughts about the safety of the whole thing! I really, really hope I don't break a leg on this thing, but if I do, I will try to posts PICS!
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:01:27 AM EDT
This reminds me of the comic who said these are famous last words, "Hey y'all! Hold my beer and watch this!"
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:47:43 AM EDT
1. Attach a tending line for easy retracting of the zip... 2. Test new mods with a non-human occupant. 3. Have fun. 4. Don't kill yourself man, we love ya [whacko]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:49:37 AM EDT
Hey..before you try this...can you forward any personal information to us so we can submit you for a Darwin award? (Posthumously?) [stick]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:51:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat: You guys are funny! Yes, I will get pics. I 'hope' I can convince my wife to film me zipping through the trees firing an AR! WOOT! WOOT! !
View Quote
I'm getting an image of Chuck Norris in my head. I like it. Ignore the naysayers, RedGoat. I want pics of you zipping, and firing!!!!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:10:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2002 6:12:07 AM EDT by eshell]
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat: . . . .I really, really hope I don't break a leg on this thing, but if I do, I will try to posts PICS!
View Quote
Cool idea[8D], BUT, what about Tree #2, your destination[B)], does it have very soft bark or a mattress leaning against it? No limbs?[;)] We clipped a tree on the motorcycle and my buddy was perforated through his leg by a broken limb sticking out of the trunk.[>Q] Broke off inside, required surgery, drain tube, etc..[:x*]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:18:08 AM EDT
We made these all the time as kids. Tons of fun, but easy to hurt yourself. Not too sure if I'd try discharging loaded weapons whist riding on it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:28:20 AM EDT
Put the horse in the seat to test it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:29:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:41:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:56:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:11:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:45:59 AM EDT
I must be missing something. How are you going to stop?
LOL. Now I worry about the lives of your neighbors.
View Quote
Headline: "Local Man Injured by Falling Maniac"z
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:57:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:06:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:19:35 AM EDT
Post some pics RedGoat!! I gotta see this! [wacko] --LS
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:25:21 AM EDT
My money says he is gonna shoot himself in the foot. Just a guess. [:D] --LS
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:43:56 AM EDT
My Zipline Story..... I did a ropes course while in college. I had done some rock climbing/rappelling, so I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. So, the last event of the day was a tower climb. This thing was very tall with minimal hold points; I didn't think I would make it to the top. When I get to the top of this thing I asked the instructor which side of the tower we would be rappelling from, and he said that we would not be rappelling. I then asked him how the hell he thought we were getting down, because there was absolutely no way to descend. That's when he pointed to this thing.....this cable that seemed to go on forever. He explained the process; hook in, jump off, fall to your death(I think that was it)[:D]. I was absolutely TERRIFIED. A latent fear of heights emerged, and I all but locked down. After I mumbled something about extraction by chopper, the instructor said that the zip line was the only way down. He offered to push me, and I offered to toss him. When you hit a zip line the first thing you notice is the 15-20 foot FALL before the line catches. Then you are gone like the wind. The device uses gravity to get you down, and that same gravity will leave you suspended in the air from the lowest point in the line. Hopefully the "lowest point" will not be the second attachment point. A note to all who would try this - Use a rappelling harness; we were using swiss seats. Think of a swiss seat as a supportive THONG from which all of your body weight will be suspended. You get the idea. [;D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:03:04 AM EDT
My friend and I built a zip line when we were kids,it was a steep down hill to the rivers edge,the plan was to ride it down and let go when you got to the edge of the river and drop into the water for fun. Well from the time we finished the line and the time we got to test it was just how long it took the river to go to low tide,there was some light branches blocking the view to the river and guess what,the tide was out when my buddy went first,all I heard was a big scream "Oh noooooooooo" and i ran down the hill and i found him covered in mud and limping out of the ankle deep water,it's fun to be a kid isn't it,LOL
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:21:00 AM EDT
rabbit - LOL!!! Too funny man. I have a favorable zip line story. My senior class (small Christian school) took a trip to a camp, where they had a zip line. Tower was about 40 feet high, and zip line was completely over the water. T-handle to grab on to. Grabbed on, jumped off, flew thru the air like a wildman, splashed down into the mineral green water. Exited water quickly to avoid HUGE snake. The End.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:57:21 PM EDT
Well, I just got back from the emergency room. Cable snapped. Anyone got any suggestions for getting a bend out of an AR15 barrel? Nah, just kidding. I have been too busy putting the finishing touches on the Tractor project. There is a tractor show in two weeks and I am planning to haul the beast out to Whitehouse, Texas to display my hard work. Sorry for not getting a chance to fly through the trees firing an AR, I promise I will get a video of the event. TRG
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2002 4:58:21 PM EDT by mojo]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:02:45 PM EDT
Mojo, It takes two hands to bump fire, I am too chicken hearted to let go with both hands on the trip. Trust me, you guys will love this thing. All it needs is a few guys, alot of beer and some 'I Dare you to ..." to make it REAL fun. Recoil makes you spin. Your M16 would be a hoot! Watch out bystanders. Just semi auto was enough to spin me around backwards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:09:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2002 5:14:42 PM EDT by durk]
LMAO. [:)] i made one of those in my basement when i was kid. we had a lot of fun on it. almost broke my tailbone the one time though. that wasnt much fun. i now have a sig line. hehehe. thats great man. i cant stop laughing. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:50:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By durk: LMAO. [:)] i made one of those in my basement when i was kid. we had a lot of fun on it. almost broke my tailbone the one time though. that wasnt much fun. i now have a sig line. hehehe. thats great man. i cant stop laughing. [:D]
View Quote
It is nice to be immortalized... I have made two videos. One is a first person shot, and the other is a side shot of me with my ar15 blazing!
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:16:48 PM EDT
can you host the vids? i would love to see them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:17:59 PM EDT
What kind of cable are you using? I've got plenty of other gear...maybe we can set something up at the ETH's farm in October. Imagine going over the Pease! frisco
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:26:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By frisco: What kind of cable are you using? I've got plenty of other gear...maybe we can set something up at the ETH's farm in October. Imagine going over the Pease! frisco
View Quote
ROFLMAO, travelling over the peace in this thing would be suicide. NO BRAKES and a 45 degree decline??? I am using 1/4 inch cable. I am trying to figure out how to upload these vids to my ISP -- Everyone's Internet. One is a first person shot zipping through, and bouncing off of trees. It is kewl! AS soon as I figure out what to do to upload I will post it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:34:39 PM EDT
Dude...You are my freakin hero! Just look out for RDS. (Rapid Deceleration Syndrome) Learned that from street racing cafe bikes. Welcome To Idaho, The Mercury In The Water State"
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:35:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:41:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By luchesi: Dude...You are my freakin hero! Just look out for RDS. (Rapid Deceleration Syndrome) Learned that from street racing cafe bikes. Welcome To Idaho, The Mercury In The Water State"
View Quote
ROFL, you are too easy to please! You should have seen us shooting fireworks over the Pease river, ask Badd_Brad about it somtime, that guy is nuts! Hey, anyone want to upload these things for me? My ISP sucks. Webspace is active, but it will not accept my password to upload. ARGGGH!
Top Top