Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/21/2002 5:20:24 AM EDT
I am looking for something for under $200 with basic features. Garmin? Magellan? Anybody know who has the best prices? Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:24:12 AM EDT
Check out [url]http://www.jpunix.com[/url] Mr. Perry has lots of links to GPS related stuff. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:47:13 AM EDT
I bought one 4 years ago, whatever one you buy make sure it is user friendly, mine had a book of directions and I still don't know how to use all the functions, it is not user friendly, it is a Garmin two, discontinued model. I hear they have easier to use models now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:59:06 AM EDT
I picked up a Garmin E Map. Lots of things it will do. Has a good database with it, and you can load all kinds of things like Marine, Topo, travel into it if you want. Works very well. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:05:55 AM EDT
This is a great GPS, water-proof and backlit, with a detailed basemap. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=138047[/url]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:07:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:13:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2002 6:26:04 AM EDT by renotse]
I have used Loran C and later GPS and since the 80s. My first GPS was a Magellan 5000 hand held that cost over $1200. Boy these things have really come down in price. I currently have 2 gps units. One is a Lowrance LCX 15 mt w/GPS fixed unit and the other a Magellan 330m hand held, both have WAAS capability. I use my Lowrance GPS primarily for fishing offshore and the Magellan as a back up, but I also use the 330m hand held in the field. Here is a great site for GPS comparisons. These guys are the GPS gurus. They have objective reviews on most of the GPS hand helds available. [url]joe.mehaffey.com[/url] Here is what they have to say about the new Magellan Sport Trak Pro. [b]The Sportrak Pro GPS appears to represent a significant step forward in WAAS enhanced GPS position accuracy. In experiments the Pro was able to achieve 95% confidence accuracy of less than one meter on two out of the three tests we made in the open. It also achieved its specification accuracy of 3 meters 95% of the time under moderate tree cover on all tests. [blue]No other consumer handheld GPS we have reviewed has achieved this accuracy. [/blue] [/b] full text : [url]www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html[/url] Good luck on your selection Joe
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:46:14 AM EDT
If you just want a basic GPSr then you will probably do fine with a Garmin eTrex which sells for around $110 most places. If you want a step up, the eTrex Venture has more memory, download capabilities, and recieves WAAS corrections that will bring the accuracy down to below 20 feet. The Venture usually sells for around $170. Magellan uses a different antenna design that is supposed to receive better under heavy foliage, but they cost more and aren't as user friendly. Don't forget; without maps (and a compass) a GPSr is virtually useless. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 1:51:58 PM EDT
I really like my Garmin EMap. Large display that shows your location and path on a map in addition to all the normal GPS stuff. I think I paid $175 for it.
Top Top