Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2002 7:31:52 PM EDT
So my neighbor is thinking about a great deal on an old Mazda which the owner "thinks has a blown head gasket"

I told him it's chancy because while a head gasket proble may be fixable without tremendous  expenditures (though getting a rebuilt head seems almost a 'given' need), if the block is cracked or has an uneven surface, that's going to be major money, and I don't know of a way to tell if it's one (head) or the other (block).

Is there a way to tell the difference?

I told him to look for bubbles / oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, but that's about it.  Oh, yeah also that a compression check would point to one or two cylinders, but that's about all I could say.

Any tips?  I really think  he should avoid these vehicles with internal engine problems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the guy is a real competent do it yourselfer, why buy trouble.

IIRC the Mazda piston engines use a cast iron block with aluminum head. The probability of block damage is low unless it suffered a MAJOR overheat and the driver kept going until it stopped.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
i had repaired a blown head gasket on a isuzu i-mark twice. both times it was leaking coolant externally, never got into the oil.

i'd find out what makes him think it is a blown head gasket (ie coolant in oil or external leak). cost me less than $250 each time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top