Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2002 1:47:06 PM EDT
I was just reading the pop sci artical on kids killing themselves with guns, and it made me wonder how many laws were already broken.
Let us assume it was a legal adult instead of a minor, in his own home within the city limits.
I can only name a couple, but I am sure there are more on the books. Anyone else know more?
Attempted sucide alone is a crime, but is it a felony or misdeminor(sp)?
Discharging a firearm in the city limits.

Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always wondered about this... never thought of asking here.

So BTT, anyone, anyone?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Also don't do it if your within 1000ft of a school.  One should carefully measure 1000ft and do it at the 1000'1" mark.

This would make a great Family Feud survey.

Fer da children...

!!!!IBTL!!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a point here? If someone is going to kill themselves the last thing on the mind are the legal issues.

If you are thinking about doing it yourself don't. It's a shitty thing to do to your family and friends.

Maybe you can can find a better subject to waste bandwidth on.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
No one is planning on doing it.

This is just a good triva type of question, that is all.

It points out the irony of that you can't even kill oneself without breaking x number of laws. Meaning, we have to many laws!

I know, what are they going to do you? Kill ya? You're already dead!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
A man in China (30+ years ago) was arrested for attempted suicide.  I don't know how many laws he broke, but he got the death penalty!  (What's wrong with this picture?)
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
In AZ attempted suicide is not a crime. I go on SWAT calls all the time for barricaded suicidal people with guns. After we get them out we just take them to the mental hospital and thats the end of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
In the really big picture, and the only one that really counts, how many of God's laws are you breaking..?

[b]Suicide theoretically breaks all of the 10 Commandments...[/b]

[b]I)[/b] THOU SHALT HAVE NO OTHER GOD'S BEFORE ME.
[red]An act of suicide is driven by darkness and despair, thus considered to be possession.[/red]

[b]II)[/b] THOU SHALT NOT MAKE UNTO THEE ANY GRAVEN IMAGE OR ANY LIKENESS OF ANY THING THAT IS IN HEAVEN ABOVE, OR THAT IS IN THE EARTH BENEATH, OR THAT IS IN THE WATER UNDER THE EARTH.
[red]Committing suicide, is creating death.[/red]

[b]III)[/b] THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN, FOR THE LORD WILL NOT HOLD HIM GUILTLESS THAT TAKETH HIS NAME IN VAIN.
[red]Inflicting harm upon ones own being, is contemp unto the Lord.[/red]

[b]IV)[/b] SIX DAYS SHALT THOU LABOUR, AND DO ALL THY WORK, BUT THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD THY GOD: IN IT THOU SHALT NOT DO ANY WORK...
[red]Dead men cannot do the Lords work.[/red]

[b]V)[/b] HONOUR THY FATHER AND THY MOTHER: THAT THY DAYS MANY BE LONG UPON THE LAND, WHICH THE LORD THY GOD GIVETH THEE.
[red]To honor, would be to live, and sort out the issues.[/red]

[b]VI)[/b] THOU SHALT NOT KILL.
[red]Self explanatory![/red]

[b]VII)[/b] THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.
[red]You are selfishly taking yourself away from your spouse, forever.[/red]

[b]VIII)[/b] THOU SHALT NOT STEAL.
[red]You are stealing from your family and friends.[/red]

[b]IX)[/b] THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST THEY NEIGHBOUR.
[red]By not confiding in others to seek their help, you are in a sense lying to them, for your own selfishness.[/red]

[b]X)[/b] THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOUR'S HOUSE, THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOUR'S WIFE, NOR HIS MANSERVANT, NOR HIS MAIDSERVENT, NOR HIS OX, NOR HIS ASS, NOR ANY THING THAT IS THY NEIGHBOUR'S.
[red]There is a reason you are despondant, thus driving you towards suicide, and generally comparring your life to anothers is what gets you there.[/red]

A couple of these may seem a bit vague, but when looked at in the proper context, they become very clear!

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Assault with a stupid post.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Very interesting Anti!  Never thought of it that way before.

Mug?  Who are you referring to?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#10]
no! you don't break any laws because

a dead man will not be charged.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
no! you don't break any laws because

a dead man will not be charged.
View Quote

You might wanna check with God on that one!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
if you could ensure the bullet(s) travelled beond your property and inflicted some death/damage elsewhere, you could probably pick up a few extra charges.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very interesting Anti!  Never thought of it that way before.
View Quote

I've had more than a few dark moments in my life, and it has always been this realization that has kept me from commiting the ultimate act of defiance...
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe it is a stupid post, but it made me wonder that is all. They want more laws to protect the kids from killing themselves with guns yet they already break at least two or three, how many more do they want is all I am asking. How ludicrous is it to have more on the books if they are already illegal. It is the same angle as always, how many more laws do you want, yet people ignore that when they mention kids killing themselves.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Suicide by gun posts should be locked....so that we do not see a flurry of this type of post...like with the, I burned myself....or I hit myself in the head with a hammer posts from a month or two back.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Oooooooh! There should be a LAW against suicide posts!

Yeah! And then more laws against whatever it is that bugs you.

If you don't like it, don't read it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I think this is a very viable topic, and that's why I have posted the Christianity based facts, as I believe them to be...

Otherwise;

A) Teens tend to opt for drug overdoses or slashings. Driving into trees and other non-movable objects at a high rate of speed is also high on the list.

B) Women rarely ever use a firearm, and actually tend to have their hair and makeup perfect at the time.  Combining pills and booze is the #1 choice.

C) Men seem to be the ones opting for firearms, and a large percentage of hangings.

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#18]
In my case, the minute I hit the floor, you'd have to add "Littering".
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Isn't that interesting, the women's way is the only one listed that isn't illegal other than the suicide, unless the drugs are illegal drugs.
Why is that?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Taking any form of medication, outside of what it prescribed for, is technically illegal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was just reading the pop sci artical on kids killing themselves with guns, and it made me wonder how many laws were already broken.
Let us assume it was a legal adult instead of a minor, in his own home within the city limits.
I can only name a couple, but I am sure there are more on the books. Anyone else know more?
Attempted sucide alone is a crime, but is it a felony or misdeminor(sp)?
Discharging a firearm in the city limits.

View Quote

If you are successful, you are breaking none you can be tried for!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Did they actually put a law on the books that says that? I know giving someone prescription meds that were not prescribed for them is illegal, but is taking medication wrong illegal? Be it over the counter or prescribed for you.
That would be the ultimate WTF on laws I think. "You took 4 asprin instead of the two I told you to throw him in jail."
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Did they actually put a law on the books that says that? ... but is taking medication wrong illegal? Be it over the counter or prescribed for you.
View Quote

Read the small print sometime. They almost all say something like "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent yada yada yada."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top