BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course they'll use this opportunity to push for more violations of our rights...

I, personally, would support a system designed to ensure that those who have been determined to have mental problems are denied access to firearms.

Then what would be considered mental problems? Depression? ADHD? Anxiety disorders? All this could be wrapped up into legislation that would class mental problems as a disqualifying criteria for gun ownership. If there was a system designed to filter out the more severe forms of mental issues, then MAYBE, it would be alright.

ADHD? Really?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If this tragedy turns out as bad as everyone is thinking it is going to, we are done.

Nothing moves politicians to action like dead kids.

Assault Weapons Ban II will be inevitable, it will be permanent and it will do nothing to curb the insanity... more will happen, and more will be done to try and stem the madness, only to again be proven incapable...

We've become a nation of rabbits and madmen...

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My mom, who is not exactly a "gun nut" said this the other night, "I don't get the (AWB).  If making things illegal solves the issue then what is going on with drugs?  Last I looked meth, crack, cocaine, etc. are all illegal and still all over the streets."  

Too bad this will never be heard because everyone will be emotional regarding this horrible tragedy.  Emotional law making is never good.

jlk
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why is it that whenever someone goes on a shooting spree the first reaction around here is to start worrying about what the government is going to do about our guns?

First, there are 18 dead kids. 11 days before Christmas and 18 kids got slaughtered by some fuck head just for being at school that day. This is a horrible tragedy.

Second, owning guns is a right, not a privilege. I am not going to surrender my rights.

The ones that would do you harm are already planning how to use this to their advantage.  

If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't be worrying about it.  There's nothing else we can do right now except send well-wishes, look for information, and think about fallout.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why is it that whenever someone goes on a shooting spree the first reaction around here is to start worrying about what the government is going to do about our guns?

First, there are 18 dead kids. 11 days before Christmas and 18 kids got slaughtered by some fuck head just for being at school that day. This is a horrible tragedy.

Second, owning guns is a right, not a privilege. I am not going to surrender my rights.

Most here have expressed our thoughts on the shooting in the main thread.

This is a gun forum and this thread was set-up to discuss the political/2A aspect of the tragedy.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't Connecticut already have strict gun laws?

It is a shame, this will lead to some ban for sure. The reps have to cave. They have no choice now. Too many voters will be crying for it after this.   MSNBC had some BS former cop, swat team guy on earlier taking about he supports the 2nd but we have to pass make sense laws that make sure guns don't get into the hand of people that shouldn't have them.....Don't we have that already?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if there were any police officers/security at the school?

I went to a fairly small suburban grade school and we had police on staff full time.

If the schools are going to insist on "gun-free zones", you'd think they would pay for security.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Time to pray for the victims and donate money to the Second Amendment Foundation and NRA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is a shame, this will lead to some ban for sure. The reps have to cave. They have no choice now. Too many voters will be crying for it after this.   MSNBC had some BS former cop, swat team guy on earlier taking about he supports the 2nd but we have to pass make sense laws that make sure guns don't get into the hand of people that shouldn't have them.....Don't we have that already?

They were talking about the 40% of gun sales that don't go through the NICS. Regardless, I'm sure they are for gun bans, which is just down right stupid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The President already confirmed today that he will push for another AWB.

Becuase he is a fucking moron, there was no evil black rifle used. Two handguns were recovered.

Pretty soon the definition of an "Assault Weapon" will include everything from slingshots to kitchen knives
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
The blood in this case is on the hands of the anti gunners and the idiots who pushed for "gun free zones"............it is totally on them for leaving people defenseless
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Goodbye, guns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

They will get their political theatrical time on the house and senate floors, the rose garden on the east lawn, msnbc, cnn, cbs, abc etc. But who is going to collect all the guns, a bunch of unarmed libitards. Common folks, let's not panic now because of the action of some sick as piece of shit in CT. There are far to many guns in America for them to even try and collect them all.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes. CCW needed to even purchase handguns.

14 day waiting period for long guns (except if you have CCW).
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Obama wants a gun ban. He gets what he wants. He's gotten what he wanted. Make no mistake, it's coming

You think they are going to let a good 20 kids dead horrific event go to waste?

And like I have said before I will NOT give my guns up. Not one damn gun.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The blood in this case is on the hands of the anti gunners and the idiots who pushed for "gun free zones"............it is totally on them for leaving people defenseless

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obama wants a gun ban. He gets what he wants. He's gotten what he wanted. Make no mistake, it's coming

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Tag for when I'm ready to think about it.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Panic Buying won't matter when they go for a permanent ban with no grandfathering. They can spin these last few incidents to get enough public support.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

You wouldn't find people in schools carrying guns anyhow, without putting dedicated armed guards in place at least.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We need to preempt them.  We keep saying that guns aren't the issue, lunatics are.  Well, it's pretty much sing-or-get-off-the-stage time to actually do something about it.  We need a national level plan that effectively and comprehensively deals with the root issue...  the violently insane.

We need to figure out a better way of finding and containing violent crazy people before they go on a rampage.  Reporting, evaluation, treatment and incarceration, and a robust appeals system that balances individual rights with the need for involuntary containment and treatment.  It has to be absolutely apolitical and objective.

The longer we walk around going "DEAD CHILDREN ARE THE COST OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS, CARRY OR DIE, STUPID SHEEP!", the faster our rights are going to disappear.

This. There is no way this event will fade like the last few rampages on the gun control front. Actually doing something about the mentally ill is something that needs to be addressed and pushed to the forefront of the conversation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You should not sit on your hands for too long....The anti 2A crowd sure ain't. Don't take my word for it, just turn to MS-NBC or CNN if you think they are wasting any time calling for a ban.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#23]
When a school bus crashes and kills thirty kids...no one says to get rid of school buses and make parents take them to school...because if they crash it wont be thirty kids...

yet when a gun is used...it is the first thing that gets blamed and not the Idiot Psycho that did the killing..
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think now is time to think about the families. However, I know our enemies can't wait to use this crisis.

Aside from our prayers, there is little that we can do for the families (unless we know them personally).  

But right now and in the coming days, we can consider what our response should be to how our opponents capitalize on this crisis.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Found this on another site: Here
A permit to carry is required to carry a handgun outside one’s home (even though one may still be on his own property, i.e. there is no express "curtilage" exception) or in any "place of business" in which one is merely an employee, not an owner or operator.
A permit is also required to transport a handgun back and forth between one’s home and place of business, or to and from a range for target shooting.

It is unlawful to possess a firearm on public or private elementary or secondary school property. This prohibition shall not apply to a person with a firearm carrying permit, with permission from school officials, or while traversing school property with an unloaded firearm for the purpose of gaining access to lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided entry is not prohibited by school officials.

wonder how many more laws would have helped
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Nothing much to think about.  There is a certain and unknown quantity or quality of attack(s) that WILL result in at least CA like legislation.  I don't care how many Republicans there are in Congress (see 1994) It remains to be seen what the political threshold is.

Personally, I think it's going to take a Stockton like event.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need to preempt them.  We keep saying that guns aren't the issue, lunatics are.  Well, it's pretty much sing-or-get-off-the-stage time to actually do something about it.  We need a national level plan that effectively and comprehensively deals with the root issue...  the violently insane.

We need to figure out a better way of finding and containing violent crazy people before they go on a rampage.  Reporting, evaluation, treatment and incarceration, and a robust appeals system that balances individual rights with the need for involuntary containment and treatment.  It has to be absolutely apolitical and objective.

The longer we walk around going "DEAD CHILDREN ARE THE COST OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS, CARRY OR DIE, STUPID SHEEP!", the faster our rights are going to disappear.

This. There is no way this event will fade like the last few rampages on the gun control front. Actually doing something about the mentally ill is something that needs to be addressed and pushed to the forefront of the conversation.

Thats exactly what my point was earlier.  We need to do something, but it should be something that tries to solve the problem.

The pitch that I would use is basically that you solve the problem by separating the violent and insane from the population so they can be treated, but by trying to make sure that they can only murder ten children at a time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#28]
"hey, lets take a tragedy and spin it to push an agenda" - DNC
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I've always argued loudly that every adult individual is ultimately responsible for their own safety (which is why I ccw), and stupid fucking gun free zones do nothing useful.  They do provide for a target rich environment though ......

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I've always argued loudly that every adult individual is ultimately responsible for their own safety (which is why I ccw), and stupid fucking gun free zones do nothing useful.  They do provide for a target rich environment though ......

It's true, but how many times do we have to suffer madness before the "actual" cause it dealt with?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I am having a tough time not going to the local shop and picking up that new G19 for $509.  I have a couple already, but....I hate to say it, but my first thought on seeing the headline on Drudge was revulsion and sorrow, the second, we are about to get hammered on guns and go buy that Glock.  I generally get things slowly as I go along, but feeling the twinges of gun buying panic.

I also thought of the shootings in Scotland, Tasmania, and Finland that were like this and what happened there each time.  I have a feeling this is ours.  

One thing that sickens me the most is the liberals will say it is for the children and then inwardly smile knowing they are going for more control and power over the populace.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#32]
From the main thread.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Exactly. Liberals and their fucking idiotic gun free zones are to blame.

If there were some armed teachers there we would be hearing about the hero who blew this jackass away.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nothing much to think about.  There is a certain and unknown quantity or quality of attack(s) that WILL result in at least CA like legislation.  I don't care how many Republicans there are in Congress (see 1994) It remains to be seen what the political threshold is.

I agree.  There will be an attempt at a ban.  But I think the thing that has the best chance of passing is stricter gun access laws - eliminating private sales being at the top of that list.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We all need to be screaming lowd and often to remove all gun free zones. These target rich enviorments need to end and end NOW

That wouldn't have really stopped today's massacre.  

It could have.  Shooting started in the front office(from whats being reported now).  You have one staff member with a gun, it couldve stopped there.

Most of the people I've known who work in schools aren't exactly gun people.  Keeping in mind that many of our public schools are heavily dominated by left wingers leads credence to this.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Picture posted in article:

From article:

This is a legal firearm that would fire a .223 caliber bullet:

Let the fear mongering begin.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Look at it this way: If the House of Representatives doesn't prevent a ban then no one here should vote for a republican again

ETA: The storm is already coming http://www.nationaljournal.com/columns/on-the-trail/stopping-gun-violence-starts-with-obama-20121214
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Seriously we have to stop playing friggin defense and learn to play offense. I hate when people bitch about using a tragedy to politically push something. You do realize that many good things have come out of tragedies as we can address why these things happened in the first place (some times, some things are just inevitable).

Obviously a gun ban is not the answer for many reasons that I don't need to preach to the choir here about. What is a solution is fixing this ludicrous "gun free zones". There should be bonuses for principles and staff to complete training and CCW. This would do great wonders
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If there were some armed teachers there we would be hearing about the hero would blew this jackass away.

I know a lot of teachers.  Less than 1% would carry if they could.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#40]
As at least two handguns were used by the shooter (who is reported to be 20 years of age) I wonder where he got them?

The answer to that will have far reaching implications unless they were stolen.

I'd sure hate to be the legal owner of those weapons....Stolen or not.

EDIT: Shooter was 24 so they may have been owned legally by the shooter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoting myself because I did not realize that there were reports of 27 killed including 18 children.....

It's crass to be worried about gun laws in light of that, but this might be the event I was talking about.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If there were some armed teachers there we would be hearing about the hero would blew this jackass away.

I bet about 1/3 would in my state...which should be enough to keep a crazy fucker honest.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Can't wait to find out that the justice department supplied the guns.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course they'll use this opportunity to push for more violations of our rights...

I, personally, would support a system designed to ensure that those who have been determined to have mental problems are denied access to firearms.

Then what would be considered mental problems? Depression? ADHD? Anxiety disorders? All this could be wrapped up into legislation that would class mental problems as a disqualifying criteria for gun ownership. If there was a system designed to filter out the more severe forms of mental issues, then MAYBE, it would be alright.

ADHD? Really?

Its a mental disorder. I do not think it is an issue regarding shootings but its an example of what politicians could wrap up in a bill that is centered around keeping guns away from people with mental conditions that require medication and/or therapy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously. Just stop with the "gun free zone" bullshit. The outcome would have been the same.

Even if I'm CCWing and I find myself in an active shooter situation, my first priority is to get myself and my family the fuck out of there.  Having a CCW does not make you a cop.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it's a local thing. Liberals are usually stupid. Didn't your state go for Obama.

I know some teachers that would carry.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Duh never saw that coming. If any Republicans go limp on this PRIMARY them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#49]
News reporter on Fox just asked a correspondant "what is a .223?" He replies: "It's an AR-15", then corrects himself saying that it is a caliber. Love how poeple jump on the AR.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously. Just stop with the "gun free zone" bullshit. The outcome would have been the same.

Even if I'm CCWing and I find myself in an active shooter situation, my first priority is to get myself and my family the fuck out of there.  Having a CCW does not make you a cop.

There are some sheepdogs out there.

Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top