Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2002 7:08:01 AM EDT
During my restoration of a 1943 Farmall H, I purchased a rebuilt carburetor from Tractor Supply Company.

After installing the $250.00 carb, I found out it was defective.  It flooded two cylinders with gasoline, leaked an entire tank onto the ground overnight, ruined a crankcase full of oil, and saturated the oil filter.

I returned the carb, but was informed that the 18.50 in shipping would not be refunded "WE have  to return the carb, sir.  It will cost US money to ship it back."

I politely explained to the Asst. Manager why this policy was incorrect, and asked for a form to use to register my complaint.

I took the form and went home and wrote a polite, but firm, response to this policy.  I included the details of the damage and my decision to no longer shop at TSC until the issue was resolved.

I dropped it in the mail, the form letter was addressed to the Tennessee corporate office, fully expecting it to make its way to a corporate shredder.

Two weeks pass, and the phone rings.

It is the manager of the local TSC.  He wants to resolve the issue by refunding the shipping, giving me 4 quarts of oil to replace the damaged oil, a new filter and CASH to reimburse me for the lost fuel.

Now THAT is customer service!

I thanked him for resolving the issue, and asked for another form letter to register my satisfaction..  Asking for a form letter to register a compliment brought a smile to his face.

Tractor Supply Company, definately did something right!

TRG

Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You know, I really like the store, but their service can be horrible. Especially when you Go to get a sale item and they don't have any. When you ask for a rain check I've been told to just check back in a couple of weeks(after the sale is over). Then ,I've received a notice up to six months later that the item is now in stock.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice it turned out the way it did for you. Hopefully a company memo will be sent to all store managers correcting their flawed return policy concerning these matters.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Texashark,

I agree that their service is often poor.  It is difficult to find anyone there that even owns a tractor, much less someone containing specific knowledge or skills in agriculture.

However, at least someone at the coproate level has some idea of what "Customer Servie" is all about.

DSA_Brat,

I am certain that someone in Tennessee found the whole situation distasteful.  Otherwise there would not have been such a full and speedy correction to the problem.  I hoped, by completing the cycle with a letter congratulating them on the resolution that it might help prevent this in the future.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
i have always received great service from my 3 area tsc stores.

the local employees run the gamut from "braindead" to "talented, expirienced,helpful".

my only complaint is with their prices. i find very little that is reasonably priced and have often commented on items that i saw for less than half of the tsc price at other stores.

they have us by the short curly ones...and they price their products acordingly.

trg, how's that ol' farmall running?

just a bit of advice...turn that fuel valve off everytime the tractor is parked! those old zenith's and marvel-schebler carbs have a habit of doing the unthinkable...even when new.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Why didn't you adjust the float level after installing the new carb? It is a standard procedure that is done to all new carbs. I hardly belive this is a defect in the carb itself and now all the other patrons of Tractor Supply Company get to pay for your oversight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
just a bit of advice...turn that fuel valve off everytime the tractor is parked! those old zenith's and marvel-schebler carbs have a habit of doing the unthinkable...even when new.
View Quote

Or just buy a Massey-Ferguson.[:)]
Seriously, I love my Massey 4 wheel drive, but it doesn't have the charm of the Farmall.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:55:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Campybob,

I have always been in the habit of turning off the gas on the original carb.  When I installed the new carb, I wrongly assumed it would be in working order.

The Farmall is now running better than it ever has before.  While mowing with it, I have noticed that it no longer is troubled by heavy grass/weeds.  It soldiers right through the thick stuff.  Previously it would bog/cough when confronted with heavy weeds. The list of repairs/replacement/restoration:

New seat spring
New Muffler
Rebuilt Carb
Replaced Coil
Replaced Condenser
Adjusted Govenor
Cleaned and set points
New oil
New Oil Filter
New paint (sheesh, this is taking some time!)
Rebuilt Starter
Rebuilt Generator
New Wiring (battery, lights, etc.)
New Headlight Bulbs
Replaced Voltage Regulator (now 12 volt)

When she is completed, I will post a pic.

I am awaiting a carb kit (with a new float, mine is leaking) and then I should be finished.

The 1948 Chevy P/U is next in line for restoration.  Ugh.

73 easting,

The carb was not the only problem, simply the most dramatic.  The carb's screw seats has been improperly sleeved with odd sized sleeves, making the attachment of the carb awkward at best.  There was also a physical defect on the carb that had been patched with JB weld.

For 250.00, the carb should have been set and tested by the rebuilder.  

As for other Tractor Supply patrons being affected by my experience, I hope you are correct.  Perhaps TSC will see it is not being served well by its suppliers, and will seek out a more reputable source.

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
i had a pic of my allis d-17 up...but it disappeared from the webshots server many months ago. i'll see if i can get a new one uploaded.

i have only one thing left to do to ol' allis...add a roll bar. after i installed the wide front end and set the rears out i felt a lot safer on ohio's steep hillsides. but, that roll bar and a seat belt are still on my list.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#9]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/CAMPYBOB%2Fallis%2Ejpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice Allis Chalmers.

I have considered installing a wide front end on my Farmall.  

I have never felt unsafe uponthe tractor, but I had another person driving it once that nearly rolled it....

We were building a new fence around the place, and I hired some of my high school students to work on the project.  While there was downtime waiting for the welder to catch up, I put them to work with the Farmall clearing brush, cutting wood, clearing fence lines etc.

One of the boys comes up to me and says "Mr. Allen, we need you down there with the Dwayne and the tractor, a wheel is off the ground."

I go to the tractor, confused by the boy's description of the problem.

When I arrive, I see one student literally counter balnacing the tractor with his own weight to keep it from tipping over!  Dwayne had driven into a hole on the righthand side, and was within a matter of only a degree of flipping the tracotr over onto its top!

I gave some quick instructions and we got the tractor onto level ground.

It was not until later that I learned Dwayne was a member of the special education dept at the school.  He was high functioning, and I had no idea he was in the program.  Sheesh!  Talk about almost famous...

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
WOOOOO>>>
JB weld! That was not in your first post.
I would have taken it back also and been way pissed.

Most rebuilders do not set float level as there are far to many variables to do that at the remo factory.

Edit to add: read my post. I never said that TSC would be affected I said the patrons.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
the allis is a 1959, 53 h.p., 4 speed eith high-low ranges. it has a traction booster draft control and a hand clutch, in addition to the foot clutch. this gives it a live pto function.

it only weighs 5300 lbs., and is a little light in the nose. care must be taken when pulling around anything with a significant drawbar weight...or you will be doing wheelies!

despite rebuilding the carb, it gets pretty poor fuel economy. it can go thru a gallon an hour, two gallons during the first hour of operation.

my brother-in-law flipped a 9300 lb. john deere 4020 over...about 3 years ago. it crushed his pelvis, femur and collapsed one lung. a definite "life flight" event.

after that happened, i added the wide front, kicked the rears nearly full out, widened up the front and drew up plans for a roll bar with a back support/safety bar. no local company will fabricate it due to liability concerns...guess i get to weld it up, myself.

btw, i used to teach high school...way back in the '70's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The only thing I know about that company is, George Strait is a pitch man for them.  I have seen their commercials during races.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Ive heard of them but never seen been to a store. what is it with people anyway if its worn out get something newer tractors have come a long way get something newer it will do the same job better with less hassel unless your into that sort of thing
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#16]
73easting, no problem.  I understand what you meant.

Campybob,

If/when I come across a salvage front end for a farmall H, I will pick it up and install it.  I found a reproduction shop manual for the Farmall letter series at TSC, it should help with the conversion.  I hear it is pretty simple on the Farmalls.  A few heavy jacks and jackstands, then normal hand tools.

Glad to meet a former HS teacher.  1970's must have been a very interesting time to teach.

1GUNRUNNER, where have you been hiding?  I have not seen/heard from you in a while.  The giant dog misses you.

Oregon shooter,

I know that a newer tractor would do the job as well, if not better than my Farmall.  However, the Farmall is a family heirloom.  Since I havea relatively small piece of property an additional tractor is not needed.  If the Farmall was not kept in working order, it would certainly turn intoa pile of worthless junk in a few years.  Simple choice, keep it runing, or let it decay.  

Besides, the Farmall H is one of the prettiest tractors ever designed.  Pure 1940's Industrial ART!

DrFridge.  The reason I wrote the 'atta boy', and the reason I TOLD the manager I would write it is simple.  I would want the same courtesy when I screw up.  Let people know when you ar not being served, let them know when they have done well.  Squeaky wheels always get the grease.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1GUNRUNNER, where have you been hiding?  I have not seen/heard from you in a while.  The giant dog misses you.

View Quote

Been working around 70+ hours a week, so I don't get into the office much.  I am going to try my ass off to get to the Hun's in October.  If I can't make it then I will get there this winter.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/1GUNRUNNER%2FMajor%2EJPG[/img]

PS - I miss the dog too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top