Hmm?  Wha?  

Hey!

...Are you making fun of me?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I say go ahead and pay.  Only one minor little detail. Make the checks payable to, and only able to be cashed by the slaves, not their ancestors.  Then stand back and watch the bitching!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hmm?  Wha?  

Hey!

...Are you making fun of me?
View Quote

LOL!
Nah.
A little Minnesota humor.
I used to live in Bloomington Pre-MOA (For those who have never been to MN, MOA is Mall of America, not "minute-of-angle [:p] )

Rivalry between Norwegians, Swedes, and the Danes was fun back in the day,before Minnesota became Minority Haven...
Worth noting that the Danes are the tallest people on earth, with an average height of 6'4!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
found this posted over on assaultweb:

ROBERT FARLEY
St. Petersburg Times
8-18-02

TARPON SPRINGS - Most people in the predominantly black Union Academy neighborhood of Tarpon Springs know about the robbery of the Pizza Hut driver in November.

They know because it soon meant they could not get a pizza delivered to their neighborhood after dark.

"I don't think it's fair," said Alicia Porter, a 25-year-old nursing student who lives in Union Academy. "There are bad people everywhere in the world. But they (the pizza companies) shouldn't bar everybody because of it."

It's inconvenient, she said, to have to drive to the store to pick up a pizza. And it's insulting, she said.

"We're black people who like pizza too," she said. "Our money is just like everyone else's."

Pizza Hut isn't the only pizza company that won't deliver to parts of Tarpon Springs due to safety concerns. The owner of the Domino's Pizza in Tarpon Springs said his company stopped delivering after dark to Mango Circle in 1995 after one of his drivers was robbed and severely beaten.

Former City Commissioner Glenn Davis has a different theory about why the pizza companies have chosen not to deliver to some neighborhoods.

"It's racism plain and simple," Davis said.

At a recent City Commission meeting, Davis challenged city leaders to stop doing any business with any pizza companies that won't deliver to certain areas. He also recommended the commissioners suspend the companies' right to do business in the city.

Mayor Frank DiDonato said he's not sure that's something the city can legally do, but he intends to write the pizza companies to request they meet with city officials to justify their policy.

"I don't think it's right people are being denied service because of where they live," DiDonato said.

Commissioner David Archie, a resident of Union Academy, said the pizza companies' policies unfairly stigmatize the neighborhood.

It is a controversy that has played out in communities all over the country, including several in Tampa Bay. It's even one that Tarpon Springs took on six years ago, Archie said. Then, he said, it was resolved when Pizza Hut agreed to reopen its delivery area.

Julie Hildebrand, a spokeswoman for the Dallas-based company, said Pizza Hut decided to stop nighttime deliveries to parts of Union Academy after the November robbery. In that incident, three teenagers stole $100 from a delivery man and hit him over the head. One of the three teens, who was holding a .38-caliber revolver, fired one shot. It appeared the gun was not aimed at the delivery man, who was not hit. Police arrested all three teens. Christopher Alexander Blanche, 18, the only adult, recently pleaded guilty to robbery and awaits sentencing.

In addition to that incident, Hildebrand said, drivers said they have been repeatedly harassed in the Union Academy area. As a result, the company decided not to deliver after dark to an area bounded by Martin Luther King Boulevard on the south, Lemon Street on the north, Pinellas Avenue on the west and S Disston Avenue on the east.

"We don't want to tighten our delivery area," she said, "but we have to consider the safety of our drivers. People need to feel safe in their job and that's up to us."

The policy has nothing to do with race, she said, noting that the company delivers everywhere during daylight hours. And after dark, people in the restricted delivery area are offered discounts if they pick up their orders at the store.

Archie said the boundaries Pizza Hut has drawn don't make any sense. The robbery occurred south of Martin Luther King Boulevard on Harrison Street. That's outside the area Hildebrand described.

"I can't see what they're basing their boundaries on, except from a race standpoint," he said.

Several churches in the neighborhood can't even get deliveries at night, he said.

"Something's wrong with that picture," he said.

Archie also thinks the company shouldn't blackball an entire neighborhood based on one ugly incident.

"That one incident means everyone else in the whole community is stigmatized as a robber," Archie said.

The robbery was committed by three teens, he said, and was uniformly condemned by the community.

"That's not to say that wasn't a serious incident, or that I don't value the safety of employees," Archie said. "But you also have to look at people's rights. I don't want to see any part of our community discriminated against. A lot of this is based on a perception that is not fair."

John Paulette, owner of the Tarpon Springs Domino's, said he has long been a proponent for opening up previously closed areas for delivery, often over the objections of his delivery people. Sometimes drivers don't like to go to poor areas where customers often don't tip as well, he said.

"I don't believe in that," said Paulette, 36. "I believe everyone is equal."

So when he bought the Tarpon Springs shop in 1995, he said, he reopened deliveries to Mango Circle, a residential area with just one way in and one way out.

Two weeks later, he said, a 62-year-old driver was severely beaten and robbed during a delivery on that street. The thieves took $20, beat him over the head with a stick and broke his nose and jaw, among other things. The robbers also stole his 89-year-old mother's rosary beads, Paulette said.

The man ended up on permanent disability, and the company is still paying for a $250,000 workers compensation settlement, he said.

"He got beaten up really bad and I felt really bad about it," Paulette said.

He quickly reinstituted the no-deliveries after dark rule for Mango Circle.

"It's the only place I don't serve after dark," he said.

It was a safety issue, period, he said. But his workers probably would have quit had he not done it, he said.

Still, he said, if the neighborhood has changed -- and Mayor DiDonato and Commissioner Archie say it has -- he'd be willing to sit down with residents and talk about opening that area back up.

But, he said, the safety of his drivers comes first.

"I tell my people, I don't care what neighborhood you go to, if you don't feel comfortable, don't go in," Paulette said.

Sometimes, customers are asked to turn lights on. If there's another driver available, he said, sometimes they'll send two people.

Davis, 48, said the pizza companies need to provide better justification for their policy, like crime statistics.

"If they can show me the facts, that it's a reoccuring thing, I'll shut up," Davis said. "No one should have to put their life on the line to deliver a pizza."

But if the policy is based on isolated incidents, that's not fair, he said.

"You've got thugs in every ethnic group," he said.

"The majority of people in the community are law abiding," he said. But because of the "stupidity" of a few teens, "everybody's being punished for it."

According to crime statistics provided by the Tarpon Springs Police Department, 45 of the 174 robberies that occurred in the city between 1995 and July of this year took place in Union Academy.

But neither Pizza Hut nor Domino's officials cited any crime statistics as a basis for their policies.

That's troubling, DiDonato said.

"I personally can't believe there is a problem there (in Union Academy)," he said. "I think we need to sit down and talk this thing out. I want to make sure they are being fair and equitable, and not being arbitrary in drawing lines.

"If one part of Tarpon Springs is served, then all parts of Tarpon Spring ought to be served," DiDonato said.

Unless or until a new agreement is reached, Laverne Mackey of Union Academy will have to continue picking up her pizzas at a friend's house a few blocks away, which is out of the no-delivery area.

"I don't like that," she said. "It's wrong."
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I say go ahead and pay.  Only one minor little detail. Make the checks payable to, and only able to be cashed by the slaves, not their ancestors.  Then stand back and watch the bitching!
View Quote

Are you kidding?
Half of them would be down to the Blazer Finance by Fo o'clock to get a loan, with the check endorsed by the former slave, and he and de baby's momma would have the car loaded with Colt 45 before 5pm. A little thing like an endorsment on a check isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you kidding?
Half of them would be down to the Blazer Finance by Fo o'clock to get a loan, with the check endorsed by the former slave, and he and de baby's momma would have the car loaded with Colt 45 before 5pm. A little thing like an endorsment on a check isn't a problem.
View Quote

This is my first time to actually feel like it was worthwhile but:

IBTL
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...MOA is Mall of America...[:p] )

...Danes are the tallest people on earth, with an average height of 6'4!!
View Quote

It's now known as the Mall of Africa...

mc(6'3" blonde-haired, blue-eyed)nielsen
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you kidding?
View Quote

This is my first time to actually feel like it was worthwhile but:

IBTL
View Quote

OK Aggie, not PC, but I couldn't resist. Every black person I've asked about the reparation issue has indicated that it's wrong, and will cause much more division than it will resolve. My .02.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The continuing call for reparations will do nothing more than stoke the fire of racism and bigotry, giving negrophobes ammunition to continue their divisive diatribe that will sunder our nation apart.
I have lived abroad for many years and let me tell you that no matter how f####d up our country may seem, its truly the best game in this town we call Earth.  The sooner the Farrakhans and the Barrons and the KKK realize this, the better it'll be for all of us.
We are all AMERICANS--we don't owe anything to each other other than be good citizens.  That means work for what you want, dont prey on each other and stick together!  As americans we're in the minority in the world and not particularly liked by alot of folks out there--we really need each other these days.  So LETS LOVE EACH OTHER, CHILDREN!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:...negrophobes ...
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my homeland Denmark
[:D]

IBTL.
View Quote

Tsk Tsk....
Danes.
The Negroes of the Nordic.
Dumb like Swedes, but not as pretty.
[:p]

McUZI
(50% Norwegian  50% Italian, 100% Superior)
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!

Hey, we Swedes aren't dumb, at least not the guys....  We're smart enough to have pretty blonde womenz at least!

BTW - When are you coming to Maryland again? I won't be around this weekend but next weekend if you're here I can show you an OK place to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The demonstrators, numbering about 2,000 to 3,000, came from all parts of the United States, many traveling by bus from as far away as Texas.
View Quote

The only bad thing about the march was 2 people had to miss work.
IBTL
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
This just in from CNN...
It seems they had a hard time dispersing the crowd after the festivities were over.They finally put a little girl on stage and had her say--- Daddy? It seems there was no problem with the crowd leaving after that.CNN is saying there was a stampede of black males trying to get to the exits.Several people were severely injured in the stampede to get away.IBTL
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#16]
My reply regarding the pizza delivery issue:

Dear Mr Dipsh_t,

Any time you  would like to come work for me as a pizza delivery professional, I will have a slot for you. I will provide the pizza, you provide the vehicle.

Naturally, all our entry level delivery personnel are assigned a small focus neighborhood so they can quickly learn the streets and people of the neighborhood.

We feel that makes the delivered pizza experience more personal and unites the whole community.

Thank you for your interest in the pizza delivery industry. I'm sure your career will be a rewarding one.

IBTL... [:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top