[url]http://www.dla.mil/j-3/leso/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn I wish I was in LE!
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have often thought about incorporating my 160 acre ranch into a township, I figure I would have one of the most well armed police forces in the nation, 100 AR LE mags per officer and FA pistols and rifles.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
M16s and M14s are limited to a number of weapons equal to about 20% of the full time commissioned officers in your agency. If you incorporated yourself as a "city", it might entitle you a stripped lower. You also have to be a particpant in the 1033 Program to have access to any of this stuff.

There is a lot of paperwork, and it is a real pain in the rear to get a used M16. Wait time for an M16A1 is about one year. M14s are supposedly about 3 months, but it has been 3 months since I submitted an M14 request, and while it was approved, they still haven't shown up. We also have to pay "inspection" and shipping fees of about $100-200 per weapon. For all of the bother, it is probably better to go through the other DOD surplus program that lets LE buy weapons from the military. Prices and wait time for M4s aren't worth it, but an agency can get M16A1s in about three weeks for about $360.

If we wanted 1911s, though we could get a bunch.

Where this really pays off though isn't in the high-speed stuff like rifles and NVGs, but in the high-dollar stuff DRMO would just scrap, like cars, computers and cameras. We have probably gotten about $100K worth of gear over the last year or so, and most of it was high-tech gear for our computer crimes guys and crime lab. The "tactical" stuff, while nice, is a drop in the bucket.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wonder if I sent in a letterhead from the "City of Aimless Police Department" they might ship an apc out to me?
View Quote

A wheeled APC or track? Also can the roads in your area withstand the pressure from the tracks?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top