Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2002 10:31:33 AM EDT
“Police seized an arsenal of weapons after a gun collector’s frustrated wife called the fire department to try to force him to clean out his Timberlea garage last week.”

“The collection, which included a Second World War British Sten submachine-gun, a German MP-40 submachine-gun and pearl-handled and nickel-plated pistols, would be worth a mint to an avid collector.”

Who is the bigger dolt? The collector, or his wife?

The full story is [url=http://www.canada.com/halifax/news/story.asp?id={170D235C-4C3B-4DA1-9BA8-9D3D8108F7C2}] here.[/url]

I looked to see if this had been posted before. If it’s a dup let me know and I’ll delete it.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the part about not wanting the guns to end p in the wrong hands.  "Yeah, we're taking your car because someone might steal it and drive it into a crowd."  What a crock of crap.

It sounds like the police spokesman could keep from blinking because of all the dollar signs in his eyes.  I guarantee you that someone else's collection just got bigger at this guy's expense.  I would go further to bet it will be someone associated with the people who confiscated the "illegal" arms to begin with.

Finally, really cool where they tell everyone to call if they are unsure.  Yeah, call right away so they can take them from you and charge you with a crime, Mr. Honest Citizen.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

The collector. His doltery started when he married the dumb b*tch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, so in reading the story, I get the impression that having "collectible" military "antique" submachineguns is LEGAL in Canada as long as they are stored properly?

If they have to look at the guns closer, it would appear that he MAY have had them legally?

Whats Canadian law regarding Class 3 stuff?
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK, so in reading the story, I get the impression that having "collectible" military "antique" submachineguns is LEGAL in Canada as long as they are stored properly?

If they have to look at the guns closer, it would appear that he MAY have had them legally?

Whats Canadian law regarding Class 3 stuff?
View Quote

I would be willing to suspect that was all official double-speak regarding the stroage.  That makes it sound like less of a seizure (because they don't want the guy to have them) and more like a safety issue.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have any rifles around, and you’re not sure if they’re legal, give the firearms registry a call and find out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife......MUST.....[size=4]DIE!!!!![/size=4]

I would be furious . A Sten and an MP-40. I'm gonna be [puke]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
..and THAT your honor is why I Killed Her!
View Quote

Judge: Not guilty, by reason of insanity. Your wifes that is. Some people just need killin', son. Just try to marry more carefully in theh future.

[:D]

Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Weapons Enforcement Response Team agent - "Get things done, because this could be you."

That just about says it all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#11]
and that my friends is just another, but important reason why i'll never marry. all it takes is one call to the police. even if it's just an argument. in MI if a cop shows up for a domestic, usually somebody goes to jail, 99% it's the guy that gets hauled away. the next day they haul your guns away.

it happened to a friend already. she locked herself in a room (they were arguing), he kicked the door in. cops come over, see there's been a "struggle" by looking at the door frame. he goes to jail. he never intended to touched her. she is known by family, friends & neighbors to be a complete phsyco.

he'll NEVER own a gun EVER!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I the only person I have ever personally known to get nailed for illegal MG posession got busted "during his divorce"...
'
Wife: HE HAS AN UZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ATF: We'll be right over ma'am...
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I the only person I have ever personally known to get nailed for illegal MG posession got busted "during his divorce"...
'
Wife: HE HAS AN UZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ATF: We'll be right over ma'am...
View Quote

Highlighting the point, AS SOON AS the "D" word is ever mentioned, get your guns and ammo AWAY from the house (keep 1 for self-defense) and hide the ones not acquired thru a yellow form.

Link Posted: 8/14/2002 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
This is why they make steps that lead to a basement, oops, she fell kind of thing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Biggest dolt IMO: The cops, for seizing the guns BEFORE trying to determine whether they were actually 'antique firearms' and therefore EXEMPT from all the licensing, registration and storage regulations - and therefore perfectly legal.  Even when stored alongside a particularly shrewlike harpy of a soon-to-be-ex-spouse.  Nothing brings the cops running faster than a domestic 'involving' firearms, and nothing gets 'em fired faster than public misapplication of the Firearms Act.

Edited to add that 'appears to be' a STEN/MP40 does not a STEN/MP40 make.  Deactivated firearms are completely unregulated in Canada.  Full auto guns are also legal under some limited circumstances.

Though I must confess that I was troubled by one aspect of this story - where's the rest of the ammo?  Surely any self respecting SMG collector would have way more than 2K rounds....
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
“Police seized an arsenal of weapons after a gun collector’s frustrated wife called the fire department to try to force him to clean out his Timberlea garage last week.”

“The collection, which included a Second World War British Sten submachine-gun, a German MP-40 submachine-gun and pearl-handled and nickel-plated pistols, would be worth a mint to an avid collector.”

The full story is [url=http://www.canada.com/halifax/news/story.asp?id={170D235C-4C3B-4DA1-9BA8-9D3D8108F7C2}] here.[/url]

I looked to see if this had been posted before. If it’s a dup let me know and I’ll delete it.

Mike
View Quote

Shit shit shit shit. I think this might have been my old shooting partner.....   Sounds an awful lot like his collection, and his wife [:(]

I hope not though

the MP40 was probably semi only, Canucks call them "converted Autos"  same with anythign that sounds full auto, might not be you understand, but probably, a few years ago in Canada you did not need any kind of paperwork to buy a "converted auto"  they were just rifles or wahtever all you needed was a Firearms Aquisition Certificate, which was needed to buy any firearm.....

Not anymore of course......  Too bad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top