BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#2]
We pounded  4000+ rounds through a $250 romanian AK.   You could hold the failed to fire rounds in 1 hand. Definatly ammo related and not rifle related. The only maintainence performed was a hosing of WD 40 every 1000 rounds.

BTW the foregrip will smoke and smolder and the brass pin through it will burn your hands.

Other than that it was fun as hell
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I ain't never read a discussion like this b4
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#4]
As someone previously noted in this thread, how much cleaning do you think the crazies in Monrovia do on theirs? I love ARs, but AKs win hands down in reliability.  Get both..
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

AKs are the most reliable firearms ever. Ever.

I poured marbles into my action and it still shot .001 MOA.

My friend (an army man) filled his with JB Weld & put it in a barrel of hydrochloric acid for a week, ran it over with a Caterpillar in the mud then cleaned it off with sea water.

This is a 150 round group fired after that test at 200 yards offhand, unsupported, using Tula ammo. There were no failures of any kind during the test.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

My friend filled his with JB Weld & put it in a barrel of hydrochloric acid for a week, ran it over with a Caterpillar in the mud then cleaned it off with sea water.

This is a 150 round group fired after that test at 200 yards offhand, unsupported, using Tula ammo. There were no failures of any kind during the test.
[url]http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/mxpatriot/media/CIMG0364.jpg.html?filters[term]=.5%20moa%20target&filters[primary]=images[/url]

WOW!  Is that the new Tula x-core world killer bullits?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have some former military friends at work that claim the AR paltform will never be as reliable as the AK. What are your thoughts on this?

True.

Don't forget the G3 series, the Sig 55X series, ETC. All of which are extremely reliable rifles.

A friend of mine was a Usmc armorer, and he absolutely loath's the M4. When he got out, the first rifle he bought was an Arsenal AK variant. Followed by a Sig. To this day, he will not own an AR type rifle.

I have had lot's of both. I never encountered issues with either to be honest, but my rifles weren't subjected to combat use either. I will say that I never bought a dumpster AR either. Like anything else, there's good and bad ones. With that said, the AK is an  extremely simple, robust design. They are more accurate than what some people may lead you to believe. I was always finicky with maintaining the AR's, but not so much the AK's.
If I had to pick one, for let's say, SHTF puposes, it wouldn't be the AR.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thread is full of and will continue to be full of disinformation.

Agreed.

AKs are extremely reliable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

I pounded on my barrel with a sledge hammer for two hours and it still outshot my AR.

My friend who was in the military confirms this.

I heated mine in a furnace to 12000 degrees, then pulled it out and tossed it into a pit under a pile of dead NVA for 3 years. Then flooded that pit with salt water and concrete.  1 year later we dug it up and it was a little rusty on the op rod but otherwise it was like new.  Shoot a .25 MOA 30 rnd group with it 0 malfunctions.  My cousin smuggler that to Afghanistan with him and is using that WASR instead of his issue m4.  He had 700 confirmed kills with it

Saved me the typing.  And did it far better than I could.  Poetry, man.  Poetry.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

AR-15s are more reliable than you think.

AK-47s are more accurate than you think.

The internet is great at making mountains out of molehills because people with little real world experience obsess over what they read online. So relatively minor differences are magnified greatly. I see this all the time at the gunstore I work at–– guys who will never take their guns out of the protective hard case until they are already at a shooting bench absolutely melting down over whether the AR-15 they want to buy is parkerized underneath the front sight base. Because "everyone knows" it must be a shitty gun if it isn't parkerized under the front sight base. Just like "everyone knows" AKs never jam and can't hit a man sized target beyond 200 yards.

Uh huh. Sure.

this!!!!!!   i have a Mak90 and LOVE IT!!! my M70 century remake has a unintentional bolt hold open (tapco  hammer is so rough it holds open the bolt..lol) the trigger sucks and iv had to have the front sight straightened (came canted)  i believe we in the USA have the worst bunch of AK remakes in the world.   i respect the 556 ARs they are light, accurate and very upgradable...the AK in its correct build parameters is sturdy, reliable and respectably accurate.

one needs to understand the subjective build requirements to understand what makes an AK different from an AR

the AK was a response from Russia in what it learned from the front lines of WW2 were horrendous conditions hindered  weapons performance....hence AK's build tolerances.

i am not up on all of the AR's original build criterias, but i do know IIRC that "light, ability to carry more ammunition and the soldiers ability to upkeep the weapon" were important factors....but many more hands interacted in the AR's development and not all were good.....i think in many ways if Stonner had more control of the final product and its ability to improve , the AR would of been ahead of it development sooner then it did......even so...man has the AR become the pinnacle of "plug and play" firearms.

AR is like a multi tool.

AK is like a trusty knife  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
No, AK are not that great.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#12]
There is too much variation in manufacturers, methods of manufacture, ammunition, and use to do any real comparison.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have some former military friends at work that claim the AR paltform will never be as reliable as the AK. What are your thoughts on this?

True.

Don't forget the G3 series, the Sig 55X series, ETC. All of which are extremely reliable rifles.

A friend of mine was a Usmc armorer, and he absolutely loath's the M4. When he got out, the first rifle he bought was an Arsenal AK variant. Followed by a Sig. To this day, he will not own an AR type rifle.

I have had lot's of both. I never encountered issues with either to be honest, but my rifles weren't subjected to combat use either. I will say that I never bought a dumpster AR either. Like anything else, there's good and bad ones. With that said, the AK is an  extremely simple, robust design. They are more accurate than what some people may lead you to believe. I was always finicky with maintaining the AR's, but not so much the AK's.
If I had to pick one, for let's say, SHTF puposes, it wouldn't be the AR.

My friend who was also a USMC armorer, is now a master gunsmith with a great reputation and the AR is his favorite platform.
I clean my ARs with cheap brake cleaner & then spray Triflow in them. Mine all work well, and most of the time they're extra filthy because I like to shoot suppressed.

If your AR is unreliable, make sure your gastube is still attached, you didn't buy your LPK from an airsoft site, and you have a buffer in your rifle.
If all of these things have been checked, throw away your USA mags.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IBT people confuse tolerances and clearances

Looks like pretty much everyone blew right past your post.  Don't feel too bad, I know exactly what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I was impressed with a guy named Gun Doctor(hadji AMF Boss)

He was hitting a steel target 40x20" at 400yds with his Romy AK

I eventually hit it myself, but not as consistanly as he did.

All rifles are good in the hands of the trained

Free
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread is full of and will continue to be full of disinformation.

In Arfcom GD? Surely you jest!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AR-15s are more reliable than you think.
AK-47s are more accurate than you think.

I attended an HSP AR/AK class this past summer, we had more AKs go down on the 1 AK specific day than we did ARs total during the other 3 days. Granted, most folks there seemed to be generally dialed-in, so there weren't many of the dogshit AR brands. However there were some CAI guns on the AK day...

But at the same time, I had no problem making repeated 350 yard hits on steel. Granted, I was shooting Travis's personal Rifle Dynamics AK personally built by Jim Fuller, so it might have been residual awesomeness bleedover.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sturdier magazine.  Looser tolerances.  Both says a lot towards reliability.

The increased taper in the 7.62x39 is also a factor worth mentioning. If my WASR is any indication though, and it probably is not, the AR platform is more reliable than the AK platform.

Why not?

AK people will lump all the shitty ARs together...I will do the same for the AK.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]
In a recent side by side comparison. I shot 400 rounds thru my AR and 400 rounds thru my AK. Both went bang 400 times each for a total of 800 rounds fired. Based on this I'm assuming the AK is more reliable. Hands down Way better  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
From having an M16 and a select fire AK for demoing.

The AK is dead nuts reliable, the M16 is a bitch to get to run reliably.

T
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

T

But you converted one of the best factory made original AKs made and slapped together an AR with a plum crazy lower
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#22]
My saiga .308 is ridiculously accurate with irons.  I have no idea why this is so but have been pleasantly surprised since the internet has told me for years how inaccurate AKs are.  It has also never experienced a malfunction, with either commercial hunting ammo or milsurp 7.62

It's the only AK variant I've owned, but I have 100% faith in it.  Both of my ARs have had FTE and FTF issues over the years that required some tweaking and parts replacement.    I'm in the market now for a more traditional 7.62x39 AK.  Hopefully it will shoot as well as my .308

YMMV, but like Duke Nukem said, I'm pretty sure the reliability and accuracy issues are overstated in both directions.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Garbage in garbage out

Quoted:
Quoted:

T

But you converted one of the best factory made original AKs made and slapped together an AR with a plum crazy lower

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep.

AKs Mauser rifles are the most reliable firearms ever. Ever.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#25]
AK and AR are roughly equal in reliability with proper care.  I've had a few of both, and barring ammo or magazine problems, have never had a malfunction with any of mine. As far as accuracy, usually 1 MOA with an AR, 2-3 MOA with an AK, either is acceptable.  G3 though, is still my favorite design for a battle rifle, its just simpler and there's no gas system to muck up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
shoot them long enough and you will see them all fail.

a properly built and maintianed ar15 is everybit as relaible as a properly built and maintained ar15.

It damn well should be
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

T

DPMS or something?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#30]
After a certain point, any hypothetical gains in reliability become almost a non-issue, and other factors become important - from ergonomics, to adaptability, to sustainability.  The simple reality is, there is not a reliability problem with the AR platform.  It is a non-issue, perpetually hyped up by internet and gun show know-it-alls.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#31]
In my experience, no. I've had more AK malfunctions than AR, despite having fired many thousands of rounds more through an AR than AK.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My saiga .308 is ridiculously accurate with irons.  I have no idea why this is so but have been pleasantly surprised since the internet has told me for years how inaccurate AKs are.  It has also never experienced a malfunction, with either commercial hunting ammo or milsurp 7.62

It's the only AK variant I've owned, but I have 100% faith in it.  Both of my ARs have had FTE and FTF issues over the years that required some tweaking and parts replacement.    I'm in the market now for a more traditional 7.62x39 AK.  Hopefully it will shoot as well as my .308

YMMV, but like Duke Nukem said, I'm pretty sure the reliability and accuracy issues are overstated in both directions.

Oddly enough, I had the same experience with a 7.62. Superbly accurate with quality ammunition, for a semi auto rifle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Have an SAR1 that has had about 11,000 rounds down range. Has had a grand total of 1 stoppage. Cleaned a total of  3 times in 10 years, no BS. Sort of reliable.

I also have a Colt HBAR with a 20" barrelI bought in 1993, it has had about 5000 rounds fired and has had no stoppages of any kind, but gets cleaned way, way more. This was with all brass cased ammo, I do not shoot steel cased ammo in my American made guns.

My AR carbines have not been anywhere near as reliable as either of these two fine weapons.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#34]
A AR15 is a surgical instrument a AK47 is a machete.

The only ak I ever had issues with was a Saiga I converted over in 223. I will always swear by my ak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ngiQ8BH2U

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#35]
A friend of mine is an Ar15 and he has confirmed everything in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh yeah?  Well, a friend of mine is an AK-47, and said your friend was a spoiled, finicky prima donna (sorry, this is arfcom - I mean, "Pre-Madonna") who couldn't hack it in rough environment among real men or avtomats.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I have some former military friends at work

Stopped right there as I've got former military at work from late 70's that swear they saw Mattel M16's
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#38]
No. Same as the M16 isn't as unreliable as many claim.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah?  Well, a friend of mine is an AK-47, and said your friend was a spoiled, finicky prima donna (sorry, this is arfcom - I mean, "Pre-Madonna") who couldn't hack it in rough environment among real men or avtomats.

My ar15 buddy was in the middle of a reply when he started choking and I had to field strip him then detail clean him for a few hours
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#40]
The AR is the prom queen who looks great but only lets you get so far, the AK is the fat girl who let you do anything to her in the back seat of the car.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#41]

ak47 reliable?  lol

nuff said

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The AR is the prom queen who looks great but only lets you get so far, the AK is the fat girl who let you do anything to her in the back seat of the car.

This thread now officially has every stupid analogy there is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#43]
You can take the recoil spring and guide rod from a Romy AK, jam it into a Bulgarian bolt and slide it into a Chinese 56s, bury the lot in Russian mud in September, dig it up in the spring ten years from now, run it over with a T-62 and it will rip right through a 30 round mag like a raped ape. Everyone knows it, and it didn't take the internet for everyone to know it, The History Channel told us.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You can take the recoil spring and guide rod from a Romy AK, jam it into a Bulgarian bolt and slide it into a Chinese 56s, bury the lot in Russian mud in September, dig it up in the spring ten years from now, run it over with a T-62 and it will rip right through a 30 round mag like a raped ape. Everyone knows it, and it didn't take the internet for everyone to know it, The History Channel told us.  

Sure thing bub.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would agree based off of functioning and the malfunctions I have witnessed in an m16, and how often they need to be "cleaned".

AR>AK on iron sights though......for me.....

If you are talking about issued M16 then you might be packing around something you grand daddy shot the barrel out of.

Those poor ass issue rifles have had the hell shot out of them, ran dry, and cleaned half assed their entire service life.. no wonder they fucking fail.

No military experience, but isn't that what matters? Long lasting and reliable in poor conditions? The simpler the cleaning the better? Just about any weapon will function fine when shooting 80 rounds from a bench at the range before going home to a clean safe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure thing bub.

If it's on The History Channel, it's true

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In my experience, no. I've had more AK malfunctions than AR, despite having fired many thousands of rounds more through an AR than AK.

My experience is the exact opposite. I have had numerous malfunctions with AR's.  Service A2's, Bushmasters, Colts, Franken-AR's using quality brass cased ammo.

On the other hand, I've had maybe 2 malfunctions with my WASR, none in my SAR-2 and none in my SGL-31.  I'm not saying that the AK is the uber-super rifle but my experiences have shown me that the AK is a very reliable and capable platform.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

My friend (an army man) filled his with JB Weld & put it in a barrel of hydrochloric acid for a week, ran it over with a Caterpillar in the mud then cleaned it off with sea water.

http://photos.imageevent.com/wyowhisper/rifles/websize/DSC_0012.jpg

God damn liar.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/complete-308-package-88583/

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

God damn liar.

Easy there man.  How do we know the poster on the other forum didn't steal this guy's picture of his target.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

God damn liar.

Easy there man.  How do we know the poster on the other forum didn't steal this guy's picture of his target.

You have a point!  

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top