Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2002 1:01:35 PM EDT
While doing a little research on my own state gun laws I came across the law which says that I am "permitted" to carry a hand gun on my own property concealed or unconcealed in my home (I knew that) or anywhere on my property. Hey what do you think would happen if I am cutting the grass in the front yard tomorrow with my .45 auto in a shoulder rig in plain view? I asked a friend who is an LEO here in new jersey and he says that it is allowed but that if a neighbor complained he would tell me to put it away,regardless if it's legal or not,how can you be ordered not to do something that is totally within the law ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:08:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:15:37 PM EDT
This would be a great social experiment if the down side wasn't so risky. Like getting arrested or shot or losing all my guns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:19:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:20:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:26:07 PM EDT
If I had a complaint of such B.S. I'd tell the complainant that if that was all you were doing then they needed to move north, east, or west if it bothered them that much. Most of the south is still free, well maybe freer, is that a word?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:29:42 PM EDT
If I was on [b]my[/b] land mowing [b]my[/b] grass with [b]my[/b] .45, and Susan B. Homemaker got a burr up her tush and called the cops, I'd do just as others suggested: ask the cop if I am breaking any laws (which I am not, since the law is on the books saying that I can open carry on my own property). When the answer is 'No', I'd thank him and wish him a nice day. If Susie Homemaker continues to make an issue of it, I'd ask the cop (on his next visit) to cite her for harassment. the_reject
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:37:17 PM EDT
If you want to go by the letter of the law, you would be in violation. 2C:39-6e allows for the exemptions, however it dentoes that possession/carriage must be in accordance with 2C:39-6g, which stipulates unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, or gun box, or securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and the usual no deviation garbage. I doubt that a shoulder rig would be considered in accordance with -6g....and if there are any kids in your neighborhood, you could get nailed as well for providing access of firearms to minors....
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:38:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:52:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hard-case: If you want to go by the letter of the law, you would be in violation. 2C:39-6e allows for the exemptions, however it dentoes that possession/carriage must be in accordance with 2C:39-6g, which stipulates unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, or gun box, or securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and the usual no deviation garbage. I doubt that a shoulder rig would be considered in accordance with -6g....and if there are any kids in your neighborhood, you could get nailed as well for providing access of firearms to minors....
View Quote
That law is for when you are traviling with a firearm. That does not pertain to your own land and here is the law that pertains to your own property. [b]Exceptions. No Permit to Carry or FID is required:[/b] "To keep or carry any firearm about a person's place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location." [url]http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/nj.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2002 2:16:53 PM EDT by jrzy]
Originally Posted By hard-case: ....and if there are any kids in your neighborhood, you could get nailed as well for providing access of firearms to minors....
View Quote
For them to charge you with giving access to a gun to kids is nuts,that law entails leaving a [b]loaded[/b] firearm within easy access to a child,tech. you can leave all your unloaded guns in the presence of unattended children and there is no law against it in new jersey,{I wouldn't by the way} "It is unlawful to leave a loaded firearm within reach or easy access of a person under 16." "Wholesale and retail dealers of firearms must conspicuously post at each purchase counter, printed in block letters not less than one inch in height: "IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE TO LEAVE A LOADED FIREARM WITHIN EASY ACCESS OF A MINOR." Look near the bottom after you click the link. [url]http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/nj.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:11:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tango7: Open carry is how the Hell's Angels (and others)carried most of their firearms through AZ and NV. LEO's couldn't bother 'em as long as they weren't being stupid with 'em.[whacko] As far as the question at hand, the officer might make a case for "disturbing the peace", and that would be based on case law in your state. As you're allowed concealed or open, I'd get a IWB and simply have enough showing to cue the people who might want to raise a ruckus, but not blatantly "advertising" like an old west drop-leg rig or some such. (short story) (here it comes)[rolleyes] When I bought my house, it turned out the former female occupant was a crackhead and p/t girlfriend-for-hire.[sex] Her "friends" insisted on visitng and seeing if she was available, so I took to answering the door with my SW659 on my hip. Attitude change was noticable and immediate.[shock] Would also on occasion "survey my property line" with aforementioned getup.[smoke] Didn't have too many problems or late night "visitors" once word got around. Tango7
View Quote
What Tango7 doesn't mention is that the 659 was the ONLY thing he was wearing.[BD]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:31:00 PM EDT
In most states, as far as I am aware, you can legally wear a sidearm on your property, in your house or place of business (a business which allows it). How you wear it is up to you. A shoulder rig (concealed or not) would be allowed, as most of the laws I come across make no statement as to how the thing is carried. However, if you want to take your rifle and sit with it close to a busy street (even though you are on your property), I can EASILY see you getting hauled-off to jail. Same goes for having your pistol out of the holster in the same scenario. Just keep it concealed and don't play with it in public...That's what my mom always told me =)
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:03:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: Just keep it concealed and don't play with it in public...That's what my mom always told me =)
View Quote
Thats funny, I was told you'll go blind,and I said can't i just do it till i need glasses? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:18:58 PM EDT
If I were to walk around my yard with a holstered gun in plain view, there'd probably be 20 cops pointing an assortment of weaponry at me within 15 minutes. And not one of them would want to hear how I wasn't breaking any laws.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:57:39 PM EDT
My neighbors don't talk to me, I think because I carry my G21 in my kydex roto-holster all the time. They talk to my parents but always look at me like i'm crazy. I don't care. I also walk down the street to my friends house with my ar15 over my sholder and a cz75 in a leg holster (both unloaded of course in Ohio) and no-one really looks twice. Local cops have seen me doing it and they don't even stop.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:12:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: I have been told by a CCW instrutor here in Las Vegas that legally open carry is permitted anywhere in Nevada except Boulder City and North Las Vegas, meaning it is totally legal for anyone to open carry on the Las Vegas strip. If someone calls the cops though they will cite you for disturbing the peace and it means losing your CCW, which is a bunch of BS because NO law was ever broken [V]
View Quote
If it's still the same as it was in the mid eighties, it will be no problem. I was out there visiting an in-law who was stationed at Nellis. Her husband and I decided to go out to the desert and do some shooting. We strapped our handguns on our hips, got out the motorcycles and rode right down the strip. We stopped at a light right next to a police car, the officer looked over, and waved.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:14:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Crookshanks: If I were to walk around my yard with a holstered gun in plain view, there'd probably be 20 cops pointing an assortment of weaponry at me within 15 minutes. And not one of them would want to hear how I wasn't breaking any laws.
View Quote
If its legal where you live and the gun is legal and you're legal, lets say everything is legal...Then that is grounds for an awesome lawsuit =)
Top Top