Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You have options.

You could do nothing, and submit to the testing.

You could refuse to be tested and possibly be fired.

Or, you could organize the other employees to refuse as a group. Maybe if they are faced with losing a bunch of valuable employees. they'll back down. Or, maybe they won't, and you'll all be fired.

The one option one should NEVER exercise, is asking the nanny state to protect you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quit. Go work somewhere else. Or refuse to take the test, and suffer any possible consequences.

That's basically what many people said when it came time for us here in Kali to register.

So come one, take their advice. They told us to move out of state. So get a different job. Or they told us to just ignore that "un-constitutional" law. So just refuse this un-constitutional test. Go ahead. If you get fired, I am sure that all of those on this board who advocated not registering, will support you and your family. Yeah, sure they will.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I think everyone gets the fact that if your employers wants to stick a 12" pole up your a$$ everyday and if you agree to it, its your problem.

It does not make it right.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Just had to put in my 2 cents worth.  Gunslinger, you keep talking about the employer having the right to not have employees who are "under the influence" on the job, but this isn't about people actually being intoxicated or even being suspected of being intoxicated.  It is a random search for no good reason.  I do not do drugs, and rarely even drink; but I have a real problem with "random" drug tests.  It only goes to show you that "We the people" are allowing the government to slowly encroach on our freedoms in the name of safety just as our forefathers feared.  Using the rationale of "If you aren't doing drugs, why should you care?" just keeps opening that door wider and wider for the govt to come into our lives.  We have to start guarding freedom for everyone, not just because it affects us personally.  I don't own a .50bmg, (but I would like to) but I don't want the government to ban them and I let them know!  

Another horrible drawback with drug testing is that they can be unreliable.  Maybe girtarmac can verify this, but I have heard that if you eat poppy seed muffins you can test positive for opium, and I am sure that there are any number of over the counter and prescription drugs that can show up as positives also.

Link Posted: 4/9/2001 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard of incidents where people have been fired over positive drug test results after merely being exposed to 2nd hand marijuana smoke at rock concerts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
a3kid, I understand your frusteration about the change of policy in your workplace, however I do not understand why it bothers you quite as much as it does.  I know that it must be a hassle to constantly get tested for drug use, but if you are not a user, then you have nothing to worry about.  Try to look at it as a positive thing...it will weed out all of those who do use drugs.  I know that it is hard to see a positive side of the situation now, but I am sure that everything will turn out for the best.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If the cops want to come search your house without a warrant, you don't have to worry about anything if you don't have anything illegal. It will help weed out all of those potential criminals. Right jayme?
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard of the cases where the poppy seeds caused positive opium results. Also some cold and allergy meds with interfere with amphetamines. The most disturbing thing is when people are fired for coming up positive for something they have a prescription for. I know for a fact this has happened. Some people will tell you this can be challenged in court. Don't believe it. It just depends on where you live. They seem to be able to get away with whatever they want. It's a crapshoot. Oh sure, I fell for it at first too, I thought the chain of custody procedure would protect people. The fact is, drug testing has become an industry in itself. Small companies are not even required to use certified labs! The whole thing has gotten out of control! My neighbors son was tested after he got a new job and they said his urine showed nicotine! Since he put down he was a non-smoker they questioned him about it. He said he had just gotten married and smoked a cigar, which was the truth. I didn't know places tested for that! It's getting to where every facet of our life is monitored, for our own good, just like that book, brave new world, or was it 1994, you get the idea.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It was 1990 and I had just landed a new job.  Resigned from my old job. During the week between jobs my new employer calls and says "by the way you need to go here and get a drug screen". After hearing numberous horror stories about false positives I became worried since I had just quit my last job.  They also had a policy that you can not be rehired after you have quit.  Trying despirately to remember if I had taken any Advil or ate anything that might show up positive.

Went down to the low bidder drug testing facility to get my piss test.  Lobby full of stoned looking people (probably sent because of workplace accidents etc), one guy in handcuffs.

They gave me a plastic container and pointed to the bathroom. No monitors in the bathroom. I piss in the cup and go back to the window to turn it in. Kind of concerned as it was not marked in any way.

They ask me my name I told them and they said leave the cup there and they would tag and bag it. As I turned, another guy, looking very stoned, places his cup next to mine. Again unmarked and the same response from the minimum wage worker behind the counter. I became very concerned then. I spoke to the worker and told her that I would like see the tag placed on the cup.  She frowned but marked it after a few minutes.

My test came back ok but being a fresh hire if a mistake had been made I would have been screwed as I'm sure they don't waste time and don't take chances since they have nothing invested in me.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top