Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2002 6:32:59 PM EDT
I have no proof, but I think this will be a fun little study.

I was at Costco yesterday and it dawned on me that everyone there was an idiot (except me [:D]. But the way they mill about and stop at intersections while shopping... etc..etc... reminded me of driving here in Seattle.

Am I the idiot? or is there some correlation?

just an observation.. but I think I'll see if I can get a Federal grant for this anyway[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Badseed: That is actually a rather good observation.

To futher extend on that - one of the best ways to get a feel for [i]different[/i] driving habits in other cultures is to observe the differences in walking habits. The similarities are uncanny - and served long ago to convince me that what you have hypothesized is true.

It would be interesting ot read an actual sociological study on the phenomenon, though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I've noticed this too.  Especially when you are walking in a crowded area where everyone is moving the same direction (similar to being on a freeway).  People will just suddenly jump to their left or right without even looking.  Or worse...I love it when they just STOP for no apparent reason.

Of course, I think your analogy breaks down in my example when people stop and start walking AGAINST the traffic...that, of course, only happens in LA during a cop chase....
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the ones who hit the end of an aisle, look carefully to the left and then take a sharp RIGHT!

This is second only to walking backwards on the stupid scale!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
That's funny.  I have actually asked someone that exact question:"Do you drive like you walk?"  All I got was a dirty look and a turned up, snooty nose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If they walked like they drove in Seattle, I'm not sure we would ever make it into the store before closing time ;)
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL jafo.. u got it right
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If they walked like they drove in Seattle, I'm not sure we would ever make it into the store before closing time ;)
View Quote

It's funny 'cause it's true.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love the ones who hit the end of an aisle, look carefully to the left and then take a sharp RIGHT!
View Quote

No [b]shit[/b]

That is my favorite! heheh. The abrupt turn. Distant cousin to the perpetual left you will find by fossils in florida! [:D](blinker on all day)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top