Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2002 5:51:49 PM EDT
Alright, so it's about time I choose what I want to do after school, and gunsmithing has popped into my head. So any info, like salary, required schooling, how employable I would be, etc., would be great. I'd like a job I'd enjoy, and this seems like the best bet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a gunsmith, full time.  I have worked various jobs over the past 10 years or so, while doing gunsmithing for the local shops at my shop here at the house.  I decided to take the plunge and finally do something I enjoy for my career.  I took about a 30% pay cut, but I'm home every night (used to travel) and get to see my kids.  I work at a class 3 dealer, so getting to work on and shoot machineguns is pretty cool.

I learned by working on my own, then buying every bit of gunsmithing related readindg material I could, then serving as an apprentice to a gunsmith.

The work can be very hard such as bluing, and VERY frustrating when a #@!* gun just won't work right, but I still enjoy it.

The pay is low. I won't even make $30,000 this year.

Good Luck!

Balming
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
you know what the difference between a pizza and a gunsmith is??

a pizza can feed a family of 4

just giving you a hard time, I hope that you find a job that you enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Balming said it...you like your job but the pay usually SUCKS.

There are gunsmiths out there that make a decent living, but they are the exception...and that is usually because they are EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD at a particular area/specialty.  If you could get a job as an armorer for the military or a law enforcement organization, then you would at least have a steady paycheck and benefits.

Funny thing is, gunsmiths are kind of like mechanics.  But mechanics typically make more money!

My suggestion...learn in your spare time for your own enjoyment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can afford to go to school, The Colorado School of Trades has a good gunsmithing school:

[url]http://www.schooloftrades.com/gunsmithing/index.cfm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top