User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2002 10:16:15 PM EDT
how do you dig out ear wax?
then what do you do with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, "Debrox" loosens the gunk pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Snap-On 36" pry bar part# wtf.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes #9 and Q tip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Wash it out in the shower.

Otherwise Q-Tip (+ baby oil if you're a dirty mofo).
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]

3500 psi power washer or demolition hammer if it hardens. [:D]

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was little I used bobby pins, then laughed when my sis used them for her hair. Now I use Q-Tips.

I always save my ear wax in case I'm ever attacked by a bear while bird hunting.

In case of attack, I'll quickly melt the wax, pour it into a birdshot shell, and when it hardens.....

I'll have a slug to bust his a$$ with!

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Bobby pin.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
An old, rusty piece of barbed wire I found in a field one day...
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
If you were married you would know it's better not to clean it out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good one! [:D]

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an ex G/F whose phone number I'll gladly give you. After one call to her you'll wish the blockage was still there. Yadda yadda yadda.

Wet a towl with warm-hot water. Lay your head on it, ear side down. The hot vapors will melt the wax and it'll drip out on the towl. Works for ear infections too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Q-Tip but pinky seems to do better job of cleaning. :-)
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Dremel with a grout removal bit works well for me.  Other than that, a 3/8" masonry bit works in a pinch, but most drills won't spin fast enough.

If you prefer a chemical method rather than a mechanical one, I'd suggest filling your ear with rubbing alcohol.  Then stick your head in a microwave and boil it out.  Smells bad, though.

I've heard of using a baseball bat or a golf club, but I understand you need a friend to do it and I'm not sure how effective it is.

Oy!  I'd better get some sleep.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Ear candling.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Black & Decker has many wonderful products that can do this.
SSD
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wet a towl with warm-hot water. Lay your head on it, ear side down. The hot vapors will melt the wax and it'll drip out on the towl. Works for ear infections too.
View Quote

That really works?  Cool, will have to try that someday...the scraping it out with paperclips and knitting hooks is starting to not be good for my ear...[:(]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 2:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ear candling.
View Quote

You do know all that does is temporarily ease pain right?  Kind of like blowing cig smoke in a kids ear...
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
IMO You win best reply so far.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
there is no problem too big or too small that can't be solved by an application of high-explosives. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Hi rpm Dremil with a porting bit!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Hi rpm Dremil with a porting bit!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I went to the doctor one time for something unrelated, and when he looked in my ears ha asked me, "can you hear anything?". He then used a metal hook like the dentist uses to pull a ball of wax out of each ear the size of a chewed-up wad of bubble gum. The things were as big as the end of my finger. He told me that using q-tips (like I'd been doing since I was a kid) just pushes the wax further down into the ear.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#28]
You are supposed to clean ear wax out?

What? Did someone say something? I can't hear you...
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#29]
WD-40 hundreds of uses and still counting.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ear candling.
View Quote

You do know all that does is temporarily ease pain right?  Kind of like blowing cig smoke in a kids ear...
View Quote

I use ear candles. You stick it in your ear and light the other end. The suction built up by the burning on the other end pulls the wax out of your ear canal. It works pretty good[;)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#31]
IIRC, there was a thread about this earlier and hydrogen peroxide was the favored remedy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#33]
i have heard that a .45ACP fired from the opposite ear will work also......!!!!!

fer chistsakes folks don't play games with your ears, your hearing is too valuable, i just went thru this a few months ago, i was getting dizzy & stumbling around, told my doctor & she found impacted wax in my left ear, gave me a softening agent & went back a week later, she pulled a hardend chunk of crap out of my head that was unbeliveable..., my hearing improved 50% & after a few days i stopped stumbling.....  

take kwb377 advice, never use Qtips or any thing that will actually push the wax deeper.....

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#34]
[img]http://user.icx.net/~antique/pic10239.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#35]
take kwb377 advice, never use Qtips or any thing that will actually push the wax deeper.....
View Quote

I've been using q-tips for my whole life(17 years) and I have never had a problem with this.  Maybe if you let the wax build up so much that the qtip was not scraping it from the sides but instead pushing it.  I tried using a paperclip once but it ear the inside of my ear and my ear closed itself of(not sure why)and I could hardly hear out of it.  My ear was clean though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I use qtips every morning.

The trick is to use them after showering. Get the shower water as hot as you can tolerate and let it run into your ears for a while. This will liquify the wax, then when you stick a qtip in a scrub around it soaks the junk up.

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Two or three times a month I hear/feel a [b]THUNK[/b] in one of my ears. I cant my head towards the side it came from, put my hand under my ear, and smack my head into my cupped hand. Usually the first (sometimes it takes two)
smack drops a large chunk of wax into my hand.
I guess I should try some of that Debrox.
The wax-farmer,
echo6
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#38]
A q-tip with some rubbing alcohol.  Wax is a long chain alcohol, and the rubbing alcohol breaks it down.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#39]
pinky
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Actually, "Debrox" loosens the gunk pretty well.
View Quote

In case it HASN'T been mentioned already (I didn't read every response)...Q-Tips are the worst thing you can do for ear wax according to doctors.  Basically, you end up pushing the wax into the ear and make it more dense.  Over time this will cause an ear wax "plug."

Debrox is the suggested way of getting it out.  However, if you have an ear wax plug from many years of build-up...you usually need a doctor to perform the extraction safely.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I work in a fairly noisy environment and sometimes have a problem with ear wax buildup. I used to use bobby pins and Q-Tips, but they never got all of the wax out and oftentimes even made the problem worse. I'd end up going to a doctor where they would use a big syringe full of warm water to flush my ears out.

A trick I learned at a medical clinic in Texas: Use a Water Pic. Seriously. I went to have my ears checked out and instead of using a huge syringe with warm water, they used a Water Pic to flush the wax out. They just filled it up with warm water, adjusted the pressure, and went to work. It was fast, painless, and worked like a charm. I happened to have an old Water Pic system at home and have kept it ever since and now use it solely for this purpose. When you stop and think about it, the Water Pic is basically just a miniature pressure washer. You can regulate the pressure and direct the water stream around in your ear canal to get it totally clean. Just hold your head over a sink or basin while doing it to catch all the gunk the WILL come out.

Prevention is definitely the best practice. Try to rinse you ears out with warm water while bathing and you'll get most of the crud out. But this method still isn't 100% effective for everyone.

Sorry if this was supposed to be a farcical thread and I posted a serious reply. [;)]

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ear candling.
View Quote

View Quote

I use ear candles. You stick it in your ear and light the other end. The suction built up by the burning on the other end pulls the wax out of your ear canal. It works pretty good[;)]
View Quote

I know what its supposed to do but it doesn't really...try burning one in a glass jar and you'll notice all that stuff you thought was ear wax before really isn't.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#43]
A Bridgeport mill and a 3/4 inch countersink works for me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ear candling.
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I know what its supposed to do but it doesn't really...try burning one in a glass jar and you'll notice all that stuff you thought was ear wax before really isn't.
View Quote

CORRECT!!!

An ear candle is simply gauze soaked in Bee's Wax. The wax you find at the end of the session is the Bee's wax!!

I tried this remedy once,as well, and immediately saw what was going on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ear candling.
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

CORRECT!!!

An ear candle is simply gauze soaked in Bee's Wax. The wax you find at the end of the session is the Bee's wax!!

I tried this remedy once,as well, and immediately saw what was going on.
View Quote

Yup, I will admit though that it does help relieve pain.  Problem is it can make things worse sometimes.

However, blowing cig smoke in someones ear is just as good...[:)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
WD-40 hundreds of uses and still counting.
View Quote

I have found that Gunscrubber with the little straw on the end actually works better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#47]
A speculum and an industrial strength shop-vac.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top